Knee arthroscopy?

gethinceri
gethinceri Posts: 1,517
Do NOT carry out any exercise unless it is prescribed by your physiotherapist.
Your procedure is a complex and costly one which will alter your physical capabilities if you do not allow healing to take place properly.
If anyone advises you different then ask to see their medical qualifications.

Comments

• djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    I had an arthroscopy in June 2011. I was unpleasantly surprised about how long it took to recover. I was told 6 weeks but was sure I would be able to spin a low gear after a week or so.

It actually took me about 2 weeks to stop hobbling and another 2-3 weeks before I sat on the bike on the turbo. I still think I went too early as it took a loooooong time before I had no pain or stiffness. The consultant did say at my 6 week check that whilst a simple op, it does batter the knee. He was / is a cyclist and was quite surprised I'd been on the turbo.

Op was last couple of days in June. First decent ride I had was mid September. Did a 100 miler on second weekend of October without any issue.

In essence, it took me by surprise just how long it took to recover.

Listen to your body and take it easy.

I guess the good news is that it's making you want to get back on the bike again! Every cloud.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    No medical qualifications, but I did have a similar (probably less severe) op a few years back. I had about six weeks off the bike, but my physio gave me a programme of knee exercises, progressing in the demands involved. It my be that like me, your condition has led to you favouring your other leg for some time before the op. In my case this caused a noticeable wasting of the muscles that support the knee joint. Regardless of rest time, I reckon you will need to build up these muscles before you start riding again. I would definitely see a physio for detailed advice.
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    When I had mine a few years ago, they basically hoovered out some chipped bone behind the patella, I was back cycling in about a month. But I was shocked to see how much my quad had atrophied. It was very noticeable how much smaller it was than the other leg and it took a long time to get it back to what it was before.
  • Stalin
    Stalin Posts: 208
    borisface wrote:
    When I had mine a few years ago, they basically hoovered out some chipped bone behind the patella, I was back cycling in about a month. But I was shocked to see how much my quad had atrophied. It was very noticeable how much smaller it was than the other leg and it took a long time to get it back to what it was before.

Ha, well handily for me my left leg has always been substantially bigger than my right so it should just balance things out :P

Funny how people who have had a serious injury and have actually felt and seen how muscles atrophy and become weak and feeble and have had to suffer several months of physio at vast expense, understand that inactive muscles tend get smaller. Muscles tend to settle at the size most suited to the demands you place upon them. Subject two men to an identical training plan. One man's muscles might grow bigger than another man's who's genetic make up is different. These two men may perform very differently over different durations despite doing the same training. Their muscles may well reflect this in size and tone.

There is more to it than merely percentages of fast twitch & slow twitch. I have met top class sprinters who are small and very lean and top class sprinters who have huge muscles. You never see huge athletes competitive in the mountains where power to weight ratio is everything. But also there are small lean sprinters who look like they should be able to climb but can't. Muscle size is only part of the equation.
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Do what the consultant says. There may be an element of his covering his backside (ie his notes will say that he told you to rest your knee and therefore it'll be your fault if you ignore his advice) but you have had quite a bit of work done and whilst it is frustrating, rushing back after an injury it can often results in setting up niggles or worse. Also consider that although it doesn't hurt now there may be longer term damage that you could be doing. Your knees have to last a lifetime in that context a couple of months is nothing.

Ride your bike slowly (take the opportunity to get it resprayed in a less ghastly colour LOL) maybe do some swimming for CV work. Two months will put you in early August, a month's training will still leave you with a few events in Sept/Oct.