Complete newbie - UPDATE: new bike

johntheboy84
johntheboy84 Posts: 39
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Picking up my first road bike tomorrow. Managed to snap up a carrera TDF on ebay. By no means up to the level of bikes some people have on here but just wanted a decent starter bike to get used to. Really looking forward to getting stuck into it for fitness as my calfs don't hold up from running these days anymore.

I just wondered if anyone has any tips for the kind of rides I should be starting out on as a newbie, distance and hill/gradient wise. I'm very aware I might try and go too ahead of myself and lose interest at the first hurdle. I used to go mountain biking when I was 15/16 and used to work as a cycle tech in a couple of shops so I'm happy enough with maintenance.

Also with the TDF if anyone has any advice as to if I should be upgrading tyres? Other than that I wish I'd got one last weekend.... As at the moment it looks like I need to buy a waterproof too!

Comments

• motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Give us a clue! How old are you and how fit do you think you are already?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Ride a shortish circuitous route near where you live then if you feel knackered it's easy to get home or if you feel ok you can carry on and do it again. Once you are confident in your own fitness and abilities you can start to get more adventurous, it won't take long. :)
    Wait until you get the bike then just ride it for a while before you start upgrading.
  • Thanks for the advice already :) I'm 29 (and intend to be for the next three years) and average fitness levels really. As I say I want to do this for fitness and to drop some weight/fat loss. I've just been sceptical as to how quickly you can drop weight with anything other than running but from what I've been told, road riding seems to push you in plenty of other ways!
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Tyres - Schwalbe Durano's seem quite good value, go for the folding ones as lighter and easier to get on/off. No need to rush out and buy them, but if you need tyres or want to save some weight then a good option. If you want a bit of comfort or weigh 12/13 stone plus, go for 25/28mm rather than 23mm. Don't go feeling that just because you've got a new bike you need to spend spend spend and get everything - well unless you've got money to burn and enjoy spending - nowt wrong with that. Rides wise, I'd do a few 10/15 miles rides not too far from home to get used to the bike and what you may wish to tweak, saddle height, for/aft position etc, then once done build up from there. Don't avoid hills, just get on with it. Waterproof gear - don't bother, if you get waterproof gear, you'll get wet on EVERY ride as you'll effectively boil in the bag if you're putting in enough effort. Best to go just normal gear or if you think it's going to be cold I tend to go for windproof jerseys as the stop much of the rain coming in, keep the wind out but also more importantly the material breaths so lets your sweat out. Also make sure you carry spare tube, puncture kit, pump, levers etc.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    You should just start by going out and enjoy yourself. If you find it hard going at first, just slow down a bit, and persevere, as the first few miles usually feel tough, but it gets better.
  • Thanks for the tyres advice, defiantly going to carry the kit for punctures/flats, I don't fancy walking home with bike over my shoulders. Like it's been advised I'll be getting used to the bike before I make any major changes.

Hopefully I'll get chance to get out on it tomorrow and give everyone an update.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    The first couple of rides will be about finding what's comfortable for you in terms of the bike set-up, getting used to clips etc. As others have said, a circuitous route is best, cycle within yourself and don't overdo it or you'll just sicken yourself, much better to finish wanting more, then you'll be keen to get back out again and go a bit further/steeper. Once the bug bites you are in big trouble I'm afraid - longer rides, 20 miles, 50 miles, distances you never thought you were capable of, upgrades, new bikes, subscribing to Eurosport, shaving your legs, financial ruin :wink:
    It's a marvellous hobby - enjoy.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Well I've picked it up and just been on my first ride. Covered 8 miles in 45 minutes.

Firstly, I'm not entirely sure it's the right size frame for me. It was advertised as a 54cm but I'm going to measure. I'm 6-1 so could have probably done with a 56 or 58 cm frame. I only think this as my handle bars feel low and I've got ache in my neck when I'm riding. As you can see I've got the seatup a fair bit and it still doesn't feel overly high.

Other than that I enjoyed it, felt vulnerable at times and need to get more comfortable with is as when the speed Carey's you at time and saddle discomfit soon changed to a different discomfort of my back end. Pretty much the same with getting used to changing position on the handles at times and what marks in the road might throw me off.

Only had one b3ll3nd shouting from his corsa trying to put me off as well which is good as I expected more!
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    If your handlebars are too low, have a look at your stem. They can usually be fitted on either way up and as it has an angle it means one way will result in the bars being higher than the other. You might therefore be able to raise them a little bit.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Don't want to be the bearer of bad news when you've only just bought it but I'm afraid it does sound as though it might be on the small side for you :(
    I'm about 5'10" and I ride a 54cm frame. There's more to it than just height though: long legs, short legs, long torso, short torso, general flexibility etc. Hope you can sort it out.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • To be honest I'm not too worried if it is the wrong size. I can sell it on without losing any money as I got it for a really good price on ebay. If more people could tell me their heights and frame sizes I'd appreciate it :)
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    I'm 5'10" and ride a 54cm, I'm in between 54 & 56, but because I have short legs I tend to err towards the smaller. I would have said if you have normal proportions you'd be the lower end of a 58, maybe the top end of a 56. You can quite often get away with something one size out with a bit of tweaking, although not ideal. However I think you're 2 sizes out and it looks like that stem is already flipped up, so there's no more adjustment there. You may be able to push your seat back a bit, maybe buy a longer stem, but the drop may still be too much and putting on a longer stem will only push your centre of gravity forward leaving your lower back or wrists to do more work to hold you up. Being too small may also mean you kind of arch your back too much as the wheelbase is too short, adding to lower back ache. If you could sell and buy bigger that's probably the easiest and best thing, else you'll spend all your time trying to adjust and never get it quite right so always feel uncomfortable.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    John,

Do you feel cramped on the medium? Some riders prefer a smaller frame with a longer seatpost/stem, depends on the level of flexibility they have.

Look at the head tube length of the two bikes 54cm is 125mm and the 58cm is 160mm, if your stem is at the top of the steerer tube, with all the spacers underneath, then has as been suggested flip the stem over to give more height and seen if that improves things.

Also check that your saddle is not to high, if you still feel it is too low at the front end, you could try another stem with more positive rise. After that you would possibly need a fork with a longer steerer tube, though it would look odd. Or if you can't get on with it, sell it and buy something bigger.

The larger frame would give you a higher front end, though also a longer reach to the bars. Bike fitting is not simply the length of the seat tube, reach and head tube are also important. Or it maybe that your body needs to become accustomed to road bike geometry.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710
  • Thanks for all of the advice. Looks as though the handle bars have already been flipped and is moved the saddle back today before.

Lower back ache is something I'm slightly worried about, it was more my neck. Just felt like because I was leading over so much that if I was stood up I'd pretty much me looking at the sky and I don't think I'm using all of my leg enough if that makes sense.

I didn't try at halfords. It was my choice so the boo boo is with me. Picking up a helmet for my mrs (that sounds bad) from halfords tomorrow so assuming they've got some larger display frames, even if it's a board man, that should give me a good idea.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    To be honest I'm not too worried if it is the wrong size. I can sell it on without losing any money as I got it for a really good price on ebay. If more people could tell me their heights and frame sizes I'd appreciate it :)
    Different bikes measure differently. I have a 56cm Cube but it is probably equivalent to a 54cm Specialized or Trek. I'm 5'8 and it is a good fit. I've also got a 57cm Audax bike which was too big for me, but I've adapted it with a short upright stem and moving saddle forward to make it fit me. You may be able to adapt to make your bike 'bigger' by moving saddle back further if you can and buying a long adjustable stem which you can raise to heighten your bars and give you a longer stretch to them.
  • Well, that won't help much... Measured the centre of the crank to the top of the frame upright where the seat post goes in. 52cm. Been to halfords and sat on a 54cm carrera virtuoso and that felt a bit more comfortable so think I'll be getting this one on ebay.

Saw someone else in another post about neck ache saying they removed the visor from their helmet and this helped a lot.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Stock tyres on mine were scarey so swapped for conti ultrasports. Neck ache after first ride isnt that unusual if its not a natural position for you. I'm 6 foot and have a LARGE frame, but found the stock stem too long (120mm I recall) so swapped it for a 90mm one.
  • zx6man wrote:
    Stock tyres on mine were scarey so swapped for conti ultrasports. Neck ache after first ride isnt that unusual if its not a natural position for you. I'm 6 foot and have a LARGE frame, but found the stock stem too long (120mm I recall) so swapped it for a 90mm one.

When you say a large frame what size cm/inch is that? Many thanks!
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I would have to measure as it does just say Large I think
  • Update:

Ride2: was just a quick half an hour ride tonight while I had chance. I've taken the peak off my helmet and that's helped my neck a lot and I'm going to angle my handle bars up a touch to see if that helps too. I think the frame's still too small as my legs aren't extending properly but using it for now.

Still having a couple of 'brown moments' for instance when I come up to some gravel on a bend I instantly assume that I'm coming off because the tyres are so skinny. Keeping balance while signaling is something I'm having to get used to again as well and I'm keeping away from busy roundabouts until I'm more confident. Brakes are fairly rubbish on this too so if I get another TDF or Zelos I'll be upgrading the pads sharpish.
  • Well after my first bike turned out to be too small I managed to pick up a Carrera Velos for a complete bargain this morning. It had only been ridden around the block a couple of times and he's given me a short stem with it also so I'll see if that can help.

Best oh and give it a whirl now before all the thunderstorms we're getting this week rock up. Typical.
  • opus25
    opus25 Posts: 36
    Thanks for the advice already :) I'm 29 (and intend to be for the next three years) and average fitness levels really. As I say I want to do this for fitness and to drop some weight/fat loss. I've just been sceptical as to how quickly you can drop weight with anything other than running but from what I've been told, road riding seems to push you in plenty of other ways!

I used to do a lot of running too and didn't think I could lose too much by cycling. Then I picked up a starter bike (Moser Speed Sora) last August and just went out for a few hours three times a week, mostly on flats with the aim to get fitter and lose a bit of weight.

I'm 35, 1.87m and was 88kg. My initial goal was 80kg and fitness. I'm now down to 70kg which is far more than I expected to reach and my 'stop' point. I find it quite hard to keep the weight on sometimes! Needless to say I now hit climbs more (they're still not easy!) and just keep riding 70-80km regularly. I tend to ride solo after moving to China in a remote-ish place and at 5,000ft - there are no clubs or roadies at all.

am awaiting delivery of a Felt F3 Di2 as a reward and to cut some more weight 10kg Moser vs 7.1kg F3. It's weird thinking me+bike will be 20kg lighter than 9-10 months ago.

Good luck with the bike and just keep riding - don't worry too much about the technicalities, components and whatnot. Just get a good set up and ride and you'll be fitter and leaner soon enough. Then, if you're still enjoying it, you'll get n+1 and no doubt be looking further up the market.
    Felt F3 Di2 (2013) : Moser Speed Sora (2012) : Cruising the roads of China
  • Hi Opus,

Thank you for the reply, really like hearing everyone else's experiences with starting out. I'm 88kg, 6-1" and almost 30 myself so hoping if I can get out around 3times a week for 10-15 miles it'll start to help.
  • liamjf
    liamjf Posts: 6
    Jonnie, have you still got the TDF? (Yes, I'm looking for a new bike)

Liam.
  • Sorry Liam just sold it on ebay.
  • Well, that won't help much... Measured the centre of the crank to the top of the frame upright where the seat post goes in. 52cm. Been to halfords and sat on a 54cm carrera virtuoso and that felt a bit more comfortable so think I'll be getting this one on ebay.

Saw someone else in another post about neck ache saying they removed the visor from their helmet and this helped a lot.

I have just bought a 2014 virtuoso from halfords, got a 56cm (large on the box).

0009F7D1-C8AE-4D78-9344-77F3DD8319F8_zpsg32bogiy.jpg

Seems to fit me just fine, and I'm 5'10" and weigh 16.5st. I got the tyres upgraded to ultra sports under warranty after the rear developed a rather large blob in it after only the second ride. As a bonus I got the new upgraded model, with Fsa cranks and the proper shimano Claris shifters, and the darker blue colour scheme. Think my upgrades in the future are going to be lighter better wheels and some lighter forks, other than that it rides amazingly well
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    In response to your neck ache.... You will get neck ache when you first start out, to start with short rides (i.e. 15miles ish) will likely cause you ache until you get used to the position. When on a road bike you tend to need to keep your head up so you can look forward whereas the "natural" *relaxed* position is for the head to look down towards the stem. You are therefore straining your neck (ever so slightly) to keep it upright to see where you are going. After you get used to it, you'll probably get aches on rides when you've been on the bike for several hours.

My neck (the back of my neck) usually starts aching and feeling stiff at around the 3 hour mark which I'm fairly sure is because I don't tend to go on 3 hour rides all that often these days, mostly I'm doing 1-2 hour rides and my neck doesn't get any pain.
    If your neck does get a bit stiff whilst on the bike, be sure to sit up, move around and loosen up a bit whilst riding, the same goes for your arms and even sometimes your legs. Riding with your hands off the bars and sitting upright on the saddle (when it's safe) for 20-30seconds can really help with neck ache on the bike. If you can't do that, just stop for a short while and loosen up a bit before continuing.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    No wrong in a new wheelset, but there's little point in upgrading those forks.
  • No wrong in a new wheelset, but there's little point in upgrading those forks.

They are cromo (steel), just thought alloy or even a Chinese carbon set would be lighter?
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    No wrong in a new wheelset, but there's little point in upgrading those forks.

They are cromo (steel), just thought alloy or even a Chinese carbon set would be lighter?

To the tune of a few hundred grams. It's not going to change your life for the expense and hassle. Steel forks are fine, and good ones give nice ride quality.