Glucosamine et al supplements

johnboy183
johnboy183 Posts: 832
Very briefly my neck is stiffening up because of mild damage to my spine. Nowt major just somewhat disconcerting. Have others had success with the above including omega whatever's? Do your joints feel better, less stiff etc? What sort of timeframe before you stated to feel a difference? Appreciate that everyone's different and some people view these supplements as nothing more than snake oil. But did it make a deiiference? Thanks

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Have you been referred to a consultant? What's his advice?
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I used to take a load of supplements as recomended by my [otherwise excellent] Chiropractor including Glucosamine, for my slipped disc, but I don't any more. My back is pretty much cleared up but have to say I notice no difference between when I took the suppements and now that I don't.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • johnboy183
    2nd round of surgery is a strong possibility in the next 12 months. Physio and pain relief short term. It's not really something that's going to improve, but a condition to be managed
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    I'd suggest every day mild range-of-motion stretching - UNLESS physio or Doc has said NO.

You could also to some searchs about homeopathic remedies for 'arthritis neck homeopathic'.
    I've gotten good results with some DIY homeopathic treatment for minor injuries and pain - BUT they are not a substitute for acute serious medical conditions. If you are told that surgery is needed, then give it thorough consideration - including risks and benefits.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • michaelede
    michaelede Posts: 152
    Biggest difference I've ever felt with my joints (crappy shoulder / knees and hips) has been home made bone broth, got plenty of collagen / gelatine and all the other goodies the body needs as building blocks. Plus it tastes bloody lovely! VERY quick google turned up this ( http://myhealingkitchen.com/medical-conditions/arthritis/arthritis-make-it-better/toss-the-glucosamine-bone-broth-is-more-effective/ ) but I basically boil roast chicken bones and some fresh wings for 24 hours with some vinegar in the water and a few veggies.
  • johnboy183
    I certainly do need to do more stretching and not only for the neck. I guess that I will have to take a serious look at Tom Danielson's book about core strength again. Suspect this time though I'll have to do more than look!
    And as for the broth idea? Not sure I could stomach that but hey ho, if guess I could (almost) try anything...
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    JayKosta wrote:
    I'd suggest every day mild range-of-motion stretching - UNLESS physio or Doc has said NO.

You could also to some searchs about homeopathic remedies for 'arthritis neck homeopathic'.
    I've gotten good results with some DIY homeopathic treatment for minor injuries and pain - BUT they are not a substitute for acute serious medical conditions. If you are told that surgery is needed, then give it thorough consideration - including risks and benefits.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA

If you believe in science (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avogadro_constant) you know homeopathy is unlikely to offer any benefits other than making you wallet lighter.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0&feature=kp