Giro Stage 13 Fossano - Rivarolo Canavese *spoilers*

above_the_cows
above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
edited May 2014 in Pro race
Wow I can see everyone is VERY excited about this stage.

2014_giro_d_italia_stage13_profile.jpg

Apparently we have a break of 6 with 2.40 on the peloton with 90km to go.

Don't all rush at once now...
Correlation is not causation.

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited May 2014
    We're too cool for the Giro. Tour of Japan Fuji TT is where it was at.

The only unknown about today is the length of Nasser's triumph. Apparently
    2v8qpg7.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Im In. Cadel attacks from the off and gets a 20 minute gap on Uran. Quntana tries to chase him down but his sore Ar%e gets to painful and he cries like a small weeping mouse. Andy Schleck his dropped in by helicopter lets Uran take his wheel and drags him back to within a minute of Evans. Schleck then takes off down the rode and goes past Evans eating a ice cream. Meanwhile Farrar tries to ride no handed and brings the while of the peloton down and causes a helicopter to crash. Schleck is declared giro winner.
  • Such was the apathy, I had to confirm whether or not it was a rest day. Personally I can hardly contain my indifference about this stage.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    And they're going to finish 5 minutes after I need to leave to get my train. Stupid Giro.
  • Dialatron
    Dialatron Posts: 1,101
    Can't understand today's route - skirting round a nice little col through Trofarello and up out of Moncalieri. Plenty of scenery, a giant statue, a basilica, a castle and decent roads over the top and back down (even an observatory up there). Plenty for the commentators to chew on while the climbers get a little workout.
    Old, fat and that's just the bike.
  • above_the_cows
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-13811-1374596517-20.gif
  • Macaloon
    Are we watching the same race? A rather more dramatic profile:

1zhm2p.png
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    ESCHELONS!
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    Thank you everyone...test over, back to work.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Hatch makes a boo boo.
    Phinney the tallest man in the peloton?
    I guess nobody told Stijn Vandenberg, then....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    Dialatron wrote:
    Can't understand today's route - skirting round a nice little col through Trofarello and up out of Moncalieri. Plenty of scenery, a giant statue, a basilica, a castle and decent roads over the top and back down (even an observatory up there). Plenty for the commentators to chew on while the climbers get a little workout.
    Just a restish day for the GC guys between the ITT and two MTF over the weekend.

I like the way the Giro does weekend MTF, something the Tour seems to be starting to shy away from (crowds, I guess)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    On the run-in today, about 250 m from the line, there is a right curve which is actually turning right off a roundabout. On the approach to it, there are a couple of lane-divider islands and a general narrowing of the available width (if taking the shortest route). It’s a slightly wider lane when briefly in the roundabout, but there are same type islands and general narrowing when leaving the roundabout.

14251084724_2c1d2cb426_z.jpg
  • ridgerider
    TRAFFIC ISLANDS!
    Half man, Half bike
  • above_the_cows
    knedlicky wrote:
    On the run-in today, about 250 m from the line, there is a right curve which is actually turning right off a roundabout. On the approach to it, there are a couple of lane-divider islands and a general narrowing of the available width (if taking the shortest route). It’s a slightly wider lane when briefly in the roundabout, but there are same type islands and general narrowing when leaving the roundabout.

This is what we have been reduced to. Discussing road furniture in the hope of engendering excitement.

I have to negotiate this on my way home from work:

Combino_lijn_1_Spui_Amsterdam.jpg
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    knedlicky wrote:

cue men with flags. Hopefully those pics are in some way misleading - could be carnage!
  • Macaloon
    That's nowt. I have to dodge soul crushing propaganda:
    15-nationwide-euston-outbound-website.jpg

Thanks, Boris.
  • ridgerider
    Above

Is that Spui?

In my youth, I used to go to Eilders cafe in Leidserplein for saturday lunch and then we would all meet up again at a brown cafe just off Spui...name please!?
    Half man, Half bike
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "could be carnage!" Only in commentator speak/exageration. Even if ALL the riders were KILLED, still wouldn't be "carnage".
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • slimreaper
    slimreaper Posts: 738
    meagain wrote:
    "could be carnage!" Only in commentator speak/exageration. Even if ALL the riders were KILLED, still wouldn't be "carnage".
    It wouldnt be ideal though. ;-)
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746

I have to negotiate this on my way home from work:

Combino_lijn_1_Spui_Amsterdam.jpg

I hope you don't have to squeeze between them !
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Better than being squashed under them.

EDIT: there is something a bit menacing about the two trams advancing in parallel, isn't there?
  • above_the_cows
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Above

Is that Spui?

In my youth, I used to go to Eilders cafe in Leidserplein for saturday lunch and then we would all meet up again at a brown cafe just off Spui...name please!?

Yes its Spui. There are lots of Brown cafes off Spui. Which direction off Spui? This is the junction between Spui and Singel by the Aula of the UvA, the bar on the corner is now called De Brabantse Aap not the De Beiaard as in the photo or on Googles streetview. On Spui you also have Cafe Luxembourg, the Hoppe, Cafe de Zwart...
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    bompington wrote:
    Better than being squashed under them.

EDIT: there is something a bit menacing about the two trams advancing in parallel, isn't there?

Indeed, the bloke in the second one is saying, "If he doesn't get you I'll make sure I do!".
  • above_the_cows
    dsoutar wrote:
    I hope you don't have to squeeze between them !

Nah, it's actually very simple. I just cross the tram tracks or to avoid doing a sharp 90 I just slowly cross by riding down the middle of the tracks. The trams wait for you, very civilised.
  • above_the_cows
    Just under 16k to go and the three man break has 1.40...
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Just under 16k to go and the three man break has 1.40...
    OK OK, I'll start watching now!

:)
  • ridgerider
    Hoppe!

My first experience of ham and kasse toasties!

MEMORIES!
    Half man, Half bike
  • Macaloon
    Strange stage. Peloton got to about 1 min then stopped chasing. Nutters.