Best Weather App

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I find the Weather Channel iPhone app to be the most reliable.

I found this to be the most UNreliable weather app. I moved onto the BBC weather app and its a lot better.

Its a shame cos the interface is pretty good on the weather channels but it kept locking up and giving out of date weather.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    In my experience / prejudice (i.e. no solid evidence, just the way it's seemed to me over the years) Met office forecasts are the most reliable. But the Met office android app is unreliable, slow and has a horrible clunky interface, so I've given up on that - I'm currently using the Wunderground app, it's really good (especially, as mentioned above, the crowdsourced obs) apart from the fact that it's not sufficiently localised, something that's quite important round here. For example, its forecast for Glenshee (30 miles from here as the crow flies, but 2000ft higher) generally suggests the same temps as at Dundee - when there's usually a 4-6º difference.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    xcweather.com, fairly reliable and give the all important windspeed / direction
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Is that so you know which Strava segments to go for that day? :wink:
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Wunderground. Conects with local weather stations for current conditions. Great for wind speed and direction.
  • I find the Weather Channel iPhone app to be the most reliable.

also on Android... I find the hourly forecast to be very accurate
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    edited January 2016

Is that so you know which Strava segments to go for that day? :wink:

shhh. people may be listening, pointless round here unless its 30mph plus winds, they've all cottoned on :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Weatherpro is one of the more accurate because it uses the most sources of forecasting information before then assessing what they should be putting out.

WeatherXC relies on one model (GFS) which is also one of the least accurate. The same can be said for BigSalty and most weather apps.

BBC Weather certainly used to predominantly use the MetOffice data but whether that will change now that the relationship has gone to rat-shit who knows?

Windguru is one for the coastal boys and that can be either very accurate (pick your favourite weather data source from those available) or piss poor if you've only got GFS to rely on. The good thing with this one is that you very quickly understand which version of the published forecasts work for your locale. In my case it's the WRF forecast which is very, very accurate in all aspects except windspeed in a SW - which always needs a few knots added onto it, because of local effects.

You pays your money (or not, most of them are free) and takes your choice!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm another Wunderground fan - gives you great info on what the weather is doing right near you right now - perfect when wondering what to wear in the morning. It is also great to see how the weather is near you (Thursday morning it was 0C with me and 7C 50 miles away. The BBC doesn't give you that level of granularity.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I like the rain alarm pro app. I use metoffice and google's weather for actual forecasts, but with this app, you can set alarms for different rain intensities and coverage at different ranges - and set vibration signals for these. So you can 'feel' an alarm in your back pocket as you ride.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    But what do you do with that rain information when you're riding? Turn and head for home? Put your rain jacket on?

Once I'm out on the bike, that's it - I'm not interested in weather forecasts. If it starts raining, I know it because I can see and feel it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Use yr.no for weather..
    Gives the best results and most correct..
    Also foreca.com is good
  • COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    Get Aero Weather (Lite is free, Pro a couple of quid). It will pull the METARS (actual current conditions) and the TAF (forecast weather) for any airfield you choose. The current conditions are reported and updated hourly, the forecast is very good out to 6 hours and pretty good out to 18 hours.

It will give accurate wind speed and cloud cover. They are for the use of aircrew for planning purposes, so will be sound.

If you select a variety of airfields in the vicinity of your planned ride, you will get a good feel of the general weather in the area.
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    COVEC wrote:
    Get Aero Weather

How many watts will i save?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    g00se wrote:
    I like the rain alarm pro app. I use metoffice and google's weather for actual forecasts, but with this app, you can set alarms for different rain intensities and coverage at different ranges - and set vibration signals for these. So you can 'feel' an alarm in your back pocket as you ride.
    I find that wet water drops in the air set off my built in alarm.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.