NFTO

sportvan
sportvan Posts: 105
edited August 2014 in Pro race
Anyone know how this team is being supported as they appear to have some good kit (Bus, vans and cars) and paying both the riders and support crew top wages.

I've had a look at NFTO and the companies owned by the owner on companycheck.co.uk but none seem to have the turnover to support such an expensive team.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    They are backed by a man from Hereford called John Wood. I know little about him but he seems to be a ex-SAS soldier turned successful businessman.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    They started with all the gear and no idea didn't they, with 4th Cats, 3rd Cats and so on, but then threw those riders by the wayside to buy a bit of substance to go with the style. I've heard some not too good things about them etiquette-wise, but I'd hope that was early doors stuff really.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    mfin wrote:
    They started with all the gear and no idea didn't they, with 4th Cats, 3rd Cats and so on, but then threw those riders by the wayside to buy a bit of substance to go with the style. I've heard some not too good things about them etiquette-wise, but I'd hope that was early doors stuff really.

They've got the pro team and a race club that anyone can join. They also support a junior team and a junior women's team so he is funding at grass roots level as well. He's also keen to get his club running races (I've been asked to help them out but we couldn't get anything in place for this season).

I suspect John can be a tough businessman and is no doubt used to getting what he wants and I'm sure that has probably upset a few people on the way (I guess they are a bit like a domestic scene version of Sky in that respect). However, in my limited experience of him I've found him to be a gentleman. He seems extremely enthusiastic for the sport and anyone prepared to invest as he is doing should be welcomed IMHO.

I think he bought out (or at least bought a large share in) Swift bikes which the team are riding this season.
  • Zososimo
    Zososimo Posts: 60
    deleted
  • Pross
    I guess you can only speak as you find, I've found him to be helpful and friendly but if he did that then he's out of order.
  • mfin
    That experience mentioned didn't surprise me, although its more occasional conduct of them and some of the riders preceding this leap to having the Downings, Blythe, Yates etc on board I meant. Maybe that was another example from a while back though, I'd like to think it would be.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    RichN95 wrote:
    be a ex-SAS soldier turned successful businessman.

Successful arms dealer :wink:
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Deleted before I could read what he is supposed to have done :)
  • Pross
    Shouted / sworn at someone down the velodrome.
  • mfin
    I think it was bad if it happened in particular cos the girl was described as young. There was a lot of detail there to be fair.

I see on their website they are parking their bus on Holme Moss on the 2nd TDF stage...

http://www.nftopro.com/DEV01/?p=2066
    The Downing’s rode alongside Bernard on a gentle spin taking in the Cragg Vale Climb and then tested the steep ascent of Holme Moss where the NFTO Team bus will be positioned on Stage 2 of the Tour on Sunday 6th July.

...do other domestic non-competing teams do this as well? (it must be solely for PR purposes of course). I hope they don't take up valuable spectator space cos that climb is predicted to have the most spectators turning up to watch the TDF while it's here in the UK, it will be rammed!
  • Pross
    mfin wrote:
    I think it was bad if it happened in particular cos the girl was described as young. There was a lot of detail there to be fair.

There was but it didn't make a lot of sense, it sounded like the poster got shouted at but the girl ended up in tears. I'm not sure why it got deleted or by whom though.
  • Zososimo
    Pross wrote:
    mfin wrote:

There was but it didn't make a lot of sense, it sounded like the poster got shouted at but the girl ended up in tears. I'm not sure why it got deleted or by whom though.

Here you go, I took it down because I didn't want to get any hassle that's all, I do see them around... I did not get shouted at, I was not on the blue line, as I described, I was lapping faster than them and was riding a different part of the track.

It is an accurate account, they showed no class whatsoever and didn't even realise what they were doing.

The Perfect Gentleman??

I saw him make a (VERY talented) 14 year old girl cry her eyes out down at the track..

It was a drop in session where any accredited rider can pay their money and ride. They were somewhat dominating the session as if it was their booking, however, I just carried on doing my thing on the black line just banging in 20 min blocks of 18-19 second laps. They were doing through and off on the blue line at about 22-23s a lap.

There were 2 girls from another area who were training for an upcoming junior championship. Their coach had asked me if they could ride around the blue line and drop in behind me when I lapped them so they could hang onto my wheel (as long as they could, then back up to the blue until I came around again) so I was like their derny. This was agreed and endorsed by the session coach at the velodrome.

This exercise had been working seamlessly for about 10 minutes, until, as I was just about to lap the NFTO team (me on black them on blue line), they were coming up behind one of the girls. He (boss man) shouted very aggressively and loudly 'GET OUT THE F'KING WAY'. It made her jump out of her skin, and in a panic (thinking danger was behind) she cut down the track almost crashing. It was completely, completely her right of way and she was extremely upset and frightened of him, he didn't even realise what he had done or that she was upset. It took her coach and I ages to reassure her that it wasn't anything she'd done. Again, drop in session, her right of way.

I worry that some talented and friendly young riders are being set a very bad example by being in the team.
  • Zososimo
    Pross wrote:

I don't know why you'd think I'd lie about it Pross? If he'd have shouted at me, I would have said that.. He would have been just as wrong to have done so.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    He sounds charming

edited for my language !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Zososimo
    He sounds charming

edited for my language !

Hahaha, you were bang on ;)
  • mfin
    Zososimo wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I don't know why you'd think I'd lie about it Pross? If he'd have shouted at me, I would have said that.. He would have been just as wrong to have done so.

I think Pross was actually saying that 'your post didn't make sense to him', perhaps he read it a bit too quick, it made perfect sense to me.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    What an egotistical tosser. I would have given him a piece of my mind if I was there.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Zososimo
    mfin wrote:
    Zososimo wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I think Pross was actually saying that 'your post didn't make sense to him', perhaps he read it a bit too quick, it made perfect sense to me.

Aah, yeah you're probably right..

Sorry for biting Pross ;)
  • mfin
    What an egotistical tosser. I would have given him a piece of my mind if I was there.

I expect it would be quite intimidating if someone has just displayed complete ignorance and a temper at the same time to actually say anything to them. It would deserve something being said though I'd agree!
  • mfin
    Does anyone know about the bus thing? Will other domestic teams and that be parked up like that, I don't get it really.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    sounds like a big advertisement ploy, but its not like they really represent anything? so is strange
  • mfin
    sounds like a big advertisement ploy, but its not like they really represent anything? so is strange

No, the story is weird about them welcoming Bernard Hinault too, I didn't get that, it made it look like they were doing something in an official capacity as part of the TDF, but they can't be surely, just a poor attempt to look involved I'd think. (I like the Downings though!).
  • Zososimo
    mfin wrote:

I expect it would be quite intimidating if someone has just displayed complete ignorance and a temper at the same time to actually say anything to them. It would deserve something being said though I'd agree!

I wanted to say something, and although it would have been intimidating I would have, BUT, the young lady wanted to let it go, especially considering that he hadn't even noticed anything had happened, she didn't want him to come and talk to her, even if it was to apologise..

I suppose it's possible that he just got carried away in his moment?? He was riding with the team and perhaps he lost himself for a second and forgot that there were others at the track and not just his team.. The team (the guys present on this occasion) were clearly relatively inexperienced track riders, quick enough but maybe didn't know that she had the right of way?

Still unacceptable and arrogant, but maybe explains it..
  • Pross
    mfin wrote:
    Zososimo wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Yeah, looks like I did misread it sorry. Certainly didn't suggest you lied though. I initially read it that you had overtaken the girls and that he had shouted at you in the process (which would be equally wrong to do) so couldn't work out why the girl had got upset.

As I said, I can only go by my own experience having spoken to him several times and I've always found him polite and friendly. He's certainly passionate about the sport though and I'm surprised at the incident mentioned above as he backs a junior women's team.
  • Zososimo

Yeah, I don't get it either??

I mean, personally, I'm going to watch a world class event, don't know about anyone else.. I don't see the relevance of an appearance from a team that aren't nearly in the same league as the ones competing?? I'll be watching them thanks!!

It'll be like Ross-On-Wye United under 12's hanging around outside Wembly Stadium on FA cup final day, and expecting anyone to actually care..

I suppose, if they are providing lots of quality freebies or sponsoring toilets or big screens or something for the use of everyone the it's not so bad (and if so, fair doo's to them), but if it's just a PR thing, then they'll be taking up valuable parking/spectator room IMHO.
  • sportvan
    sportvan Posts: 105
    For those who haven't seen the bus yet you can view photos at:
    https://www.facebook.com/?sk=welcome#!/ ... tos_stream
  • Neil Buckley
    Neil Buckley Posts: 334
    NFTO not for the ordinary is a clothing company. They spun out of the Shed bike shop in Hereford. NFTO/ Level Peaks Associates are massive companies linked/owned by him, so there is a significant amount of money there. Level Peaks equip a lot of Special Forces units like the SAS around the world and what not.
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Their gear isn't very aero

combat_shirt_ac_1024x1024.jpg?v=1360272853field_pants_ac_multicam_front_1024x1024.jpg?v=1360922380
  • mfin
    NFTO not for the ordinary is a clothing company. They spun out of the Shed bike shop in Hereford. NFTO/ Level Peaks Associates are massive companies linked/owned by him, so there is a significant amount of money there. Level Peaks equip a lot of Special Forces units like the SAS around the world and what not.

I don't know about NFTO being 'massive', well, if you look at ntfo.com all you can see are about 6 jackets that are sold through one clothes shop in the town where they are, no way the sales of that stuff could fund a team. It looks very much like NFTO is a brand exercise pretty much solely set up to be more acceptable to the public for use as the brand of a cycling team than the Level Peaks company that supplies military equipment from exactly the same contact address?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    mfin wrote:

No, the story is weird about them welcoming Bernard Hinault too, I didn't get that, it made it look like they were doing something in an official capacity as part of the TDF, but they can't be surely, just a poor attempt to look involved I'd think. (I like the Downings though!).

If it's anything like Planet X/On One's story the ride was organised by the Yorkshire tourism people. They called Planet X to provide some bikes (I think Hinault was riding a Planet X) and send some of their staff along to ride, even though they're not a sponsor. I'm guessing that the Downings being relatively prominent riders from Yorkshire they were invited too. Anyone with a bit of marketing nous can write a press release or piece for their website with any spin they like on it.

As for the bus being up the climb, who knows. I know the Rapha coffee van turns up at random events.