2014 crashes

2»

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Watching it I do wonder how more of them don't lose their bottle though - it's easy to think oh it's just another crash but once you've had a couple of bad ones or seen others have them it can stick in your mind.

Anybody know what happens to the endorphin response in elite endurance athletes? Does it break down from overuse? Do they suffer withdrawal symptoms from sudden enforced immobility while in an unbelievable peak of form? If it's bad it might help getting back on the bike.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I'm surprised anyone hasn't come up with the real - and obvious - reason yet.

The varible that is the increased production of pens in the last years...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It's more the quantity of crashes.

There are always crashes, but the quantity seems so relentless this classics season and Giro.

All this chat around 'no patrons, no cippo trains' etc doesn't wash with me. That was a long time ago. That doesn't explain this peak in 2014.
    Is there a peak this year though? Or is it just we forget how many there were in recent years? Our perceptions are often faulty. For example, a few years ago the number of Europcar vehicles in Cardiff rose dramatically in my mind - but in reality I had just started to notice them as they'd started sponsoring cycling. I'm sure the 'why are there more crashes' question is asked every year.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's more the quantity of crashes.

There are always crashes, but the quantity seems so relentless this classics season and Giro.

All this chat around 'no patrons, no cippo trains' etc doesn't wash with me. That was a long time ago. That doesn't explain this peak in 2014.
    Is there a peak this year though? Or is it just we forget how many there were in recent years? Our perceptions are often faulty. For example, a few years ago the number of Europcar vehicles in Cardiff rose dramatically in my mind - but in reality I had just started to notice them as they'd started sponsoring cycling. I'm sure the 'why are there more crashes' question is asked every year.

2014 could also just be a random outlier. There doesn't have to be a specific reason behind it.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    What is a crash? Are we not assuming the existence of a pre-determined phenomena when that phenomena as is has yet to be examined? Should we not be tracing the interpreters and mediators, the possible actants in an any thing we call crash to first determine what a crash 'is'?

As this is my research question I have yet to gather my data and so cannot provide you with a graph. But then what is a graph?
    Correlation is not causation.