Cracked hub

2»

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You can try with the right knowledge and get no error. You appear to have tried ignoring all knowledge sources and common sense and has led to error on most occasions. So you have made error on purpose as you did not fill the prerequisites of using common sense and knowledge (where you knew you might not have the knowledge) so error can be kept to a minimum.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    rubez wrote:
    I think your fundamental understanding of 'trial and error' is flawed, as is your humour.

Where as you'd have wheeled it off to the LBS like a pansy in full bloom, I have fixed everything myself, and have become enriched with knowledge for the next time.

But you didn't actually fix it, you bought a new wheel, a new freehub would have been fixing it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The real irony is that we are only here as he couldn't or wouldn't fix basic issues on a very good Cube!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rubez wrote:
    There shouldn't be any need for speculation - the rules state you should give full details of your problems (bike related, that is, tell your quack the others)

If you had, there really was no need for a new wheel, just a 10 quid freehub and a bit of spannering.

Good luck with the rest - pretty sure you'll find a way of failing somewhere.

WTF are you talking about you crackpot?!

On the first page they were speculating about what make the hub was... answer: DEORE.

Go back to sleep.

Douchebag be trolling for snipey comments to make. Fail buddy.

The info was on the first page?

Right so you are blind and forgetful then.

It is not, it is on this page and posted less than a minute before you forgot about it.
    before you decided to get nasty with people who are try to help some numpty who is currently breaking everything he touchs.

And not to mention getting abusive to people who could make things hard for you when topics get locked.

I would do a lot of reading of the links in my sig before doing any more work on your bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Awww mate, don't abuse rubez, we all love him really
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    rubez wrote:
    Deore hub on a Mavic XM317 rim, to end speculation.
    Good solid choice, I can't see how you'd go wrong with that.
    rubez wrote:
    Disregarding any unforseen problems :shock: ... got the new wheel today, cassette to be fitted, then new front derailluer needs fitting and tuned. Also RD needs tuned, but confident with that.
    So tomorrow then? In "Your Mountain Bikes"? With lots of pictures?
    rubez wrote:
    Cracked hub maybe when putting it on, something didn't feel right, possibly spacer-related, had to force it,then trying to take it off with chain-whip, went wrong way and tightened it even more, where I either cracked it, or cracked it more.
    The instructions are all available on-line on the Shimano home page. It includes torque settings
    rubez wrote:
    No spacer this time and will watch what I am doing. It doesn't need tightened super-tight, does it?
    About 40Nm if memory serves, but do check rather than trusting me
    rubez wrote:
    Doesn't the act of pedalling essentially tighten it more?
    No, that's a freewheel. The act of tightening it properly tightens a lockring on a freehub
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I was having an average day until I read this.

my day is better now :lol:
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have just changed the tyres, pedals, FD, front and rear gear cables and brakes* on my son's Anthem and didn't manage to break or mangle anything and the whole lot only took about 2 hours. Where have I gone wrong? :wink:

*Avid Elixir 1 to Shimano Deore: a huge improvement. :)
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    It's because you are pushing the boundaries of modern technology like Rubez with his rigid forks and v-brakes.

My fastest time for a full build (OK all bits sorted and just waiting to be picked up) is 1hr 15min, but that of course was easy stuff like disc brakes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev
    I once changed my brake pads for knew ones and my brakes worked again afterwards! :shock:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    welshkev wrote:
    I once changed my brake pads for knew ones and my brakes worked again afterwards! :shock:
    Spelling fail. It's break.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    cooldad wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    Spelling fail. It's break.

Oops. Who new hey?
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto wrote:
    rubez wrote:
    Disregarding any unforseen problems :shock: ... got the new wheel today, cassette to be fitted, then new front derailluer needs fitting and tuned. Also RD needs tuned, but confident with that.
    So tomorrow then? In "Your Mountain Bikes"? With lots of pictures?

And since then, we haven't heard from him. I've looked in vain in "Your Mountain Bikes". Where's the finished product?
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    Giraffoto wrote:
    finished product
    There's two problems in two words.......
  • Giraffoto
    The Rookie wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:
    finished product
    There's two problems in two words.......
    You old cynic you
    XM-057 rigid 29er