Cracked hub

rubez
rubez Posts: 323
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Got a slightly cracked hub thing... one inch hairline fracture where the cassette slides on.

Is it safe to run on this?

And how the hell to you take a hub off?!

vymycz.jpg

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's a freehub. How? It's new?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There are a few methods for removing the freehub.
    I think that looks like a basic Formula freehub, if it is then use cone spanners to undo the axle and remove it. Be careful not too loose all the ball bearings as you withdraw the axle. Inside the freehub is a hex socket screw, use an allen key to unscrew it. Throw the freehub at the cat (a neighbours cat will do) and fit a new one.
    Those Formula freehubs are a stupid price and difficult to get, more expensive than a lot of much better quality freehubs.
  • rubez
    :shock:

Sounds more bother than it's worth.

Might ask if they will rebuild me a single wheel (they come in pairs)

Or just run the POS... can't see it causing any problems in the real world. It feels secure, it spins and the cassette slides on and off easily.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It will slide off very easily when it splits in two.

Replace it.
  • rubez
    Screw it, just ordered a new wheel.

Can't be arsed faffing about trying to fix it myself... you know how that'll end.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You are wasting so much money and time on this project.
    Why didn't you just buy a new bike?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Chunkers1980
    Because no one sells a ridgid v equipped bike, I think was the reason
  • rubez
    This is the last purchase, plan to have the bike operational by next week.

If I can't get the front derailleur working without rubbing, I will be sticking it in the middle front ring and taking off the shifter. There seems to be a good range just going through the cassette, plus I'll have 8 instead of 7 speeds.

Can I adjust the cage without the front gear cable installed? With the H and L screws, until it doesn't rub?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not if you actually want to use it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rubez
    That's what I'm saying... if I don't want to use it.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    There are people who use a front derailleur, locked in place, to guide the chain onto a single sprocket. It's probably a workable solution to only using the middle ring of a triple, but for maximum weight saving and coolness you should remove the inner ring (four bolts) and replace the outer with a bashguard. You could also dispense with the FD entirely and replace it with a chain guide if you plan to go 1 x 10 (or however many sprockets you have at the back)
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Giraffoto
    By the way, and I apologize in advance for not keeping up with all of the threads relating to this bike, what make and model did it start off as, and what did you end up with in the way of a fork? This is just for my curiosity.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Giraffoto wrote:
    By the way, and I apologize in advance for not keeping up with all of the threads relating to this bike, what make and model did it start off as, and what did you end up with in the way of a fork? This is just for my curiosity.

There have been a couple of bikes and you really should take the time to read through the threads, you wont regret it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes he will.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

There have been a couple of bikes and you really should take the time to read through the threads, you wont regret it.

I did and I did - see, anyone can be laconic. :)

I'm still no wiser - the Cube has been sold, did Rubez buy the Raleigh, did he get a Carrera Subway, did he buy one of the ones that Tesco sell for about £2,25 a pound? And do the flanges on that hub look a bit thin and steel-like to anyone?
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    Definitely a steel freehub, possibly Shimano?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    The Rookie wrote:
    Definitely a steel freehub, possibly Shimano?

I was thinking of the flanges the spokes go through, although it would be an old fashioned choice of hub material. That said, it looks like a Mavic logo on the rim, and it would be an odd builder indeed who put name brand rims on a steel hub.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    Hmm, the hub doesn't look steel to me, but not much to go on there, it would also be strange to have a steel hub and then the location grooves on the freehub machined to reduce weight
  • The Rookie
    Because no one sells a ridgid v equipped bike, I think was the reason
    Damn that Carrera subway for disproving that theory.........
  • Giraffoto
    The Rookie wrote:
    Hmm, the hub doesn't look steel to me, but not much to go on there, it would also be strange to have a steel hub and then the location grooves on the freehub machined to reduce weight

An excellent point about the freehub, I hadn't considered that. The crack suggests that it may have reduced weight a little too much though . . .
    This is the last purchase, plan to have the bike operational by next week
    How's it coming along? I'm keen to see the end result.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • rubez
    edited May 2014
    Deore hub on a Mavic XM317 rim, to end speculation.

Disregarding any unforseen problems :shock: ... got the new wheel today, cassette to be fitted, then new front derailluer needs fitting and tuned. Also RD needs tuned, but confident with that.

Cracked hub maybe when putting it on, something didn't feel right, possibly spacer-related, had to force it,then trying to take it off with chain-whip, went wrong way and tightened it even more, where I either cracked it, or cracked it more.

No spacer this time and will watch what I am doing. It doesn't need tightened super-tight, does it?

Doesn't the act of pedalling essentially tighten it more?
  • Chunkers1980
    rubez wrote:
    Deore hub on a Mavic XM317 rim, to end speculation.

Disregarding any unforseen problems ( :shock: ) ... got the new wheel today, cassette to be fitted, then new front derailluer needs fitting and tuned.

There shouldn't be any need for speculation - the rules state you should give full details of your problems (bike related, that is, tell your quack the others)

If you had, there really was no need for a new wheel, just a 10 quid freehub and a bit of spannering.

Good luck with the rest - pretty sure you'll find a way of failing somewhere.
  • rubez
    edited May 2014
    There shouldn't be any need for speculation - the rules state you should give full details of your problems (bike related, that is, tell your quack the others)

If you had, there really was no need for a new wheel, just a 10 quid freehub and a bit of spannering.

Good luck with the rest - pretty sure you'll find a way of failing somewhere.

WTF are you talking about you crackpot?!

On the first page they were speculating about what make the hub was... answer: DEORE.

Go back to sleep.

Douchebag be trolling for snipey comments to make. Fail buddy.
  • cooldad
    I thinkl his point was that Deore freehubs are readily availavle and cheap.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Replacing the wheel for the sake of getting a new Shimano freehub is just madness.

And there was no need for the crackpot comment either, that was well out of order.
  • rubez
    How is crackpot offensive? Get a grip :roll:

New wheel saves me fannying around, also old one had scrapes on it, prior to me getting Pedro's tyre levers!

This project is trial and error in action.

Light spotted at tunnel's end, it's been fun.
  • cooldad
    rubez wrote:
    This project is error in action.
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rubez
    I think your fundamental understanding of 'trial and error' is flawed, as is your humour.

Where as you'd have wheeled it off to the LBS like a pansy in full bloom, I have fixed everything myself, and have become enriched with knowledge for the next time.
  • cooldad
    Seriously?
    I have seven or eight bikes at the moment, and not one of them has seen the inside of an LBS whilst in my possession.

But I'm glad you've been enriched with something.

ps I do not think either 'fundamental understanding' or 'trial and error' think what you think they mean. Doing things wrong on purpose is just silly.

pps your homophobia is showing again.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rubez
    Homophobia?! Are you insane?

Urgh, PC knobs like you that ruin this country - and it was you that associated flowers with gay people, not I ... most people are capable of just having a laugh without flinging moral tar around, trying to prove something.

And... you flew out the womb with instinctive bike knowledge? Or only the 'trial' part of 'trial and error' applies to you? Are you god?

Also, who made an error on purpose? :roll: