New front derailleur

rubez
rubez Posts: 323
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
My front derailleur rubs slightly on my rear tyre, so I need a smaller one.

I have found this, and although it looks smaller and chubbier (the cage) but there is no reference point, and the pic is tilted to one side, so it may not be smaller!

Shimano FD-M360 Acera Front MTB Bike Derailleur
1950483_1.4i5u2aycci.jpg

It is described as dual-pull. What is this? Will it work for a triple chainring?

Here is my old FD, don't actually know it's specific model number, but it is a Tourney - though there are a few different versions of that name.

353e1bo.jpg

Is the Acera definitely smaller?

And is it suitable for my bike?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Dual pull - pull from top or bottom.

Otherwise no idea.

Parktools might help explain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Is your tyre wonky?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    the mech is 'inboard' of the chainstay? très bizarre
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    That's the crank you idiot.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    you what? If the front mech is touching the tyre then the mech must be protruding inboard of the chainstay.

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    You have got the outer plate of the mech cage parallel with the chain ring haven't you? It doesn't just need 'straightening' does it?? If not - that sounds pretty weird to me

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    just had a look on the gf's Apollo ( :? ) and indeed the FD does protrude past the chainstay when it's in the granny ring - If I put a 2" tyre on the back it would rub on the FD

Trek Session 8
  • rubez
    Already have the tyres, I want to keep them.

If a stubbier derailleur can do the trick, that'd be better - and less expensive.
  • cooldad
    you what? If the front mech is touching the tyre then the mech must be protruding inboard of the chainstay.
    I think you missed a few long, meandering, now locked threads.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rubez
    edited May 2014
    Yawn, you are like a school girl following me around.

Do you actually have anything useful to contribute to the point?!

Here is a straight on view.

Is there any reason why the legnth sizes are different. Are better models generally shorter?

20305.jpg
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It's amusing.

Do you have a photo from above (below) of when it rubs on the tyre?
  • cooldad
    Is it a triple?
    Do you have a triple?
    Agreed it's dual pull.
    Is it the right clamp size (or comes with adapters?)

If yea to all of the above it should work.

But so should the existing mech.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rubez
    Existing mech works, but is too lengthy (for the chunky tyres that are fitted)

I have a triple (3 chainrings) up front.

Clamp sizes? No clue about that, should fit as frame looks a standard size.

The reason for this new FD would be if the length of the cage is shorter - and therefore doesn't protude back towards the rear tyre as much.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Available from Park Tools (check your Internet history for URL)

Park_Tools_Hack_Saw.jpg
  • rubez
    Wonder how much the price increased with that Parktools sticker added value :lol:

People have tried this before, and the side with no give messes with the chain, not that I was gonna try it.

Ordered the Acera FD.

Will see if it is smaller...
  • cooldad
    Good thinking.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Go 1x7 (or 1x8 or 1x6, I'm losing track) and the FD, front shifter, a couple of chain rings and some heavy, pointless gear cable can be thrown away and your new BSO will be both lighter and more awesome.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I'd go singlespeed if I was you, then you'll never have the front mech hanging off and rubbing your deformed rear tyre
    Plus it will save the inevitable thread of indexing gears or your rear mech is rubbing along the ground....
  • BigAl
    ej2320 wrote:
    I'd go singlespeed if I was you, then you'll never have the front mech hanging off and rubbing your deformed rear tyre
    Plus it will save the inevitable thread of indexing gears or your rear mech is rubbing along the ground....

Though we would still get the 'what are horizontal drop-outs and eccentric BBs' type questions
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    We would get them, if Rubez actually owned a bike. Although we'll probably still get them anyway
  • BigAl
    Oh Rubez certainly owns a bike.

Occasionally he just lets slip some piece of knowledge that betrays him.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rubez is managing to bring whole new meanings to the word Frankenbike..........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    So Rubez wants a derailleur with a shorter cage because the lower end protrudes to far and hits the tyre. Assuming he finds one standby for the "why does my chain rub on the derailleur when on the granny ring" thread.

Of course I would offer this as advice not a sarcastic comment but I doubt he would listen.
  • rubez
    JBA wrote:
    Go 1x7 (or 1x8 or 1x6, I'm losing track) and the FD, front shifter, a couple of chain rings and some heavy, pointless gear cable can be thrown away and your new BSO will be both lighter and more awesome.

Co-incidentally, I was reading about going derailleurless last night.

I heard some maverick on a YT vid say "the best front derailleur is no front derailleur, but if you must..." (proceeds to instruct on FD installation) Also read a thread asking if the FD was going out of fashion...

So, is it the middle ring that gets used up front? Does anyone do this?

I guess moderately steep hills would be out of the question... and what about going fast? Wouldn't your legs be going like the clappers?!
  • cooldad
    Yes or any you want to put on and not if you are strong and maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you aren't changing gear at the front, why cart the other rings around, I have 3 bikes with no front dérailleur, one has a 46T, one a 36T and one a 32T, each to suite the intended usage.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rubez
    My cassette is a 32T I think.

I would be using the other rings normally, but if there is no real need for them - and I can't get the FD working, due to rubbing off the rear tyre, or cause the chain is rubbing off it, then I could try out no front gears.

Wouldn't you still need the mech/guard in place though, so the chain stays on during bumps etc?
  • BigAl
    rubez wrote:
    Wouldn't you still need the mech/guard in place though, so the chain stays on during bumps etc?

Yes, but it won't impede the tyre as it'll be lined up over the middle chainring.

Or get a narrow/wide chainring and clutch mech.

I assume you don't have lock-on grips so we can look forward to a 'how do I get my grips off' thread
  • cooldad
    Not really. Trying out a narrow wide ring and it was quite successful around Wales and local trails. Used with a standard (non clutch) mech.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Or rather, my son was as he is fitter, stronger and slightly more hardcore than me.
    I still love my granny.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools