Giro 2014 - Stage 10: Modena - Salsomag. **Spoilers**

Macaloon
Macaloon Posts: 5,545
edited May 2014 in Pro race
tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_102014.jpg

One for the fast finish aficionadi.
2a83pma.jpg

13:48:42 CEST
And it's a huge gap, up to 8'35 after 13km of racing. So that's our break of the day sorted. Evans and his BMC team won't need to chase for a while. Fed leads the Most aggressive rider classification with Bandiera in third so they're going toe-to-toe today. Both riders are over an hour down on GC so they're no threat at all to Evans.

13:43:58 CEST
Just two men in the break at the moment Marco Bandiera (Androni) and Andrea Fedi (Neri Sottoli - Yellow Fluo). They have a gap over the field but time gaps are slow to reach us at the moment.

Ticker
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Europcar missed the break? Has the team withdrawn from the race?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Might be worth watching just to find out how on earth the commentators are gonna fill the first 2 1/2 hours.
  • Macaloon
    They could take inspiration from this homage to Italian cuisine.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    They could take inspiration from this homage to Italian cuisine.

If only Arishiro had made it into the break.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Might be worth watching just to find out how on earth the commentators are gonna fill the first 2 1/2 hours.

On the other hand...

Break now at about 5:30 and have set my alarm clock

Incidentally Viviani has a fever but is continuing so we'll see in about 2 hours how bad it is

http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/26950/ ... oorts.html
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,781
    Fedi in another break? He's been very active this Giro. He's moving into the lead in the panache jersey.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,180
    On days like this they should put an unexpected obstacle somewhere along the route. Like a twenty foot wall or a muddy field. It would be liven things up.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    RichN95 wrote:
    On days like this they should put an unexpected obstacle somewhere along the route. Like a twenty foot wall or a muddy field. It would be liven things up.
    Or just make the stage 50ks. No point stringing it out!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    RichN95 wrote:

Think they tried something like that on stage 6 - didn't end well :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    At the 2011 Giro della Padania, they twice did the climb which is shortly before the finish today, before then having a mass sprint - the finishing order was 1 Modolo, 2 Viviani, 3 Napoletano.

On the other hand, Massimiliano Lelli has suggested that the climb (called Poggio Diana, I think) might not suit many sprinters, especially if they’ve been working hard until then, and that Ulissi might show a ’new number’ and get his hat-trick!
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Spotted a priest giving the break a blessing as they rode past...whatever you do boys, don't stop!
  • Last KM drags up slightly nearly all the way ... Likely won't effect the sprinters that are still here as they only usually win when there's some factor affecting the outcome.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    "Parma - home of The European Food Safety Authority".

They certainly know how to sell their towns.
  • Macaloon
    Mechanism wrote:
    "Parma - home of The European Food Safety Authority".

They certainly know how to sell their towns.

Amish Corner on The Alpe will be rockin' this year.
    2008-02-01-AMISHSTUFF.jpg

Intercourse, PA. A real place.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I hope they take care with the gravy in their pie. Everyone always forgets the gravy but without gravy you might as well forget the pie.

Anything happening in the racing?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    I hope they take care with the gravy in their pie.

Is this a reference to the free intercourse the town apparently offers?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Macaloon
    Once a generation, Groundhog Day clashes with the Intercourse festival...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    There's probably a town in Kansas called Huge Knob.

I have to say giving towns ridiculous names and then ceding Independence is better than laying mines on retreat. The effects last for generations.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,180
    I hope they take care with the gravy in their pie. Everyone always forgets the gravy but without gravy you might as well forget the pie.
    Some fat bloke was saying exactly that in Game of Thrones last night.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    Bandiera wants to give up, on the road panache jersey wearing Fedi is having none of that.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    There's probably a town in Kansas called Huge Knob. I have to say giving towns ridiculous names and then ceding Independence is better than laying mines on retreat. The effects last for generations.
    Probably best not to google it at work though!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Ooof. Nasty crash for Eijssen, never nice when a rider leaves in an ambulance.

Cuddles is now 1 man down.
  • TheBigBean
    Why are Sky riding? Not a single Pro Tour Pundit on a British forum fancies Swift to win, so they really shouldn't waste any energy on it.
  • TheBigBean
    Bandiera is proven correct.

Sky drilling it.
  • Richmond Racer
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Why are Sky riding? Not a single Pro Tour Pundit on a British forum fancies Swift to win, so they really shouldn't waste any energy on it.

Poor show on their part. PTP really should be making the calls in the team cars.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,251
    Cataldo - astonishing turn up the hill. Blowing Bernie up horribly...
  • Richmond Racer
    oops, EBH slightly misinterpreting 'lead-out'
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:

Poor show on their part. PTP really should be making the calls in the team cars.

I'm ready to eat my hat.
  • Should've made them go around the other side of that roundabout at 4.2km ;)