Swinley, this morning. Was it you?

2»

Comments

• Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    Until i went to wales and did Cwmcarn, Afan and BPW i thought the blue and red were tough.

Think again and try some serious climbing and descending with slate style rocks and roots coming out al all angles on a 35% gradient.

You can look forward to large drops, rivers flowing down your climb making it super slippery, deep muddy sections, cliff edge riding challenging anyones vertigo handling ability.

Was an eye opener and i haven't been back to Swinley yet so am looking to see how i cope with it now.
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Xommul wrote:
    Until i went to wales and did Cwmcarn, Afan and BPW i thought the blue and red were tough.

Think again and try some serious climbing and descending with slate style rocks and roots coming out al all angles on a 35% gradient.

You can look forward to large drops, rivers flowing down your climb making it super slippery, deep muddy sections, cliff edge riding challenging anyones vertigo handling ability.

Was an eye opener and i haven't been back to Swinley yet so am looking to see how i cope with it now.

Swinley isn't hardcore shocker!

Not really sure of your point. My boys don't want large drops, cliff edge riding or super steep sections.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think there might be a small degree of exaggeration. Unless it's the DH bits (which I don't do) there's nothing at Cwmcarn or Afan that can't be rolled, and whilst some of it is on the edge of hills, it's not quite cliff edges.
    Although obviously shorter, you can find all those things (except cliffs) off piste at Swinley.
    If you want.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Swinley is about the most boring place I have ridden but it's far from the ideal place for exciting trails. The biggest hill at Swinley is only about 2 metres high.
    There's no cliff edge at Cwmcarn, Afan or BPW
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Swinley is about the most boring place I have ridden but it's far from the ideal place for exciting trails. The biggest hill at Swinley is only about 2 metres high.
    It's not THAT bad... There are some good sections, but there are places 15 mins away that are about 20 times better, so I get you
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    No literally cliff edges, tombstone and graveyard have very steep hill sides.
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • BigAl
    Cqc wrote:
    It's not THAT bad... There are some good sections, but there are places 15 mins away that are about 20 times better, so I get you

I think these posts miss the point.

Of course Swinley is limited by geography, clearly there just aren't the hills of Wales or Scotland. It's never going to satisfy riders like Rockmonkey

There is 'better riding' (whatever that means) on my doorstep in the Chilterns. I'm told there's some great riding off the marked trails at Swinley (see dad's post above) but I don't know it well enough

But as a place to go with my kids, have some good riding with them without having to worry about navigation, or mechanicals (you're never too far from the car) it works great and my two love going. Don't forget it isn't specifically for biking
  • cooldad
    This^^^^^^^^^^^

It's about enjoying yourself. End of.

Whatever is better/more exciting etc, it's still a bloody nice place to have as a back garden.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl
    Btw, this is a cliff edge

cliffsofmoherbikes.jpg

Bigger balls than me, and I'd wager anyone else here
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Here's another one that rates quite highly on the sphinctometer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3zpgVBYZI
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    Those are cliffs.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl

Their brains are wired completely differently to mine. That's a different sport to what I do.

He did 'dab' though :wink:
  • cooldad
    What a pussy.
    I feel a bit queasy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    BigAl wrote:

Their brains are wired completely differently to mine. That's a different sport to what I do.

He did 'dab' though :wink:

They're providing a public service: They do it so that we don't have to.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    Levi_501 wrote:
    I took my son for his first ride there yesterday. We did five laps of the green, he loved it but was completely and utterly knackered.

BTW, he is 2 1/2 on was on his Rothan balance bike :mrgreen:

I was thinking to join a couple of you in a few weeks for a ride; perhaps the Sunday after the BH weekend if anyone is around.

this answers a question I have been mulling over. When to take my 2 1/2 year old lad to his first trails. I have taken him to the other side of Swinley where we live but perhaps paternity leave next week is time to take him to the trails proper.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Angus Young
    t0pc4t wrote:
    Levi_501 wrote:
    I took my son for his first ride there yesterday. We did five laps of the green, he loved it but was completely and utterly knackered.

I was thinking to join a couple of you in a few weeks for a ride; perhaps the Sunday after the BH weekend if anyone is around.

this answers a question I have been mulling over. When to take my 2 1/2 year old lad to his first trails. I have taken him to the other side of Swinley where we live but perhaps paternity leave next week is time to take him to the trails proper.

I think he might have been joking about him being two and a half.
  • cooldad
    t0pc4t wrote:
    Levi_501 wrote:

Make sure he has Troy Lee gear, no helmet and take him to Jump Gully.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    t0pc4t wrote:
    Levi_501 wrote:

I think he might have been joking about him being two and a half.

you say that but I saw a balance bike on the blue last weekend.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Angus Young
    t0pc4t wrote:
    you say that but I saw a balance bike on the blue last weekend.

Should have called social services.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Maybe on another forum someone is complaining about a bloke with kids ruining his Strava time.

I do that with my own son :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    POAH wrote:
    Maybe on another forum someone is complaining about a bloke with kids ruining his Strava time.

I do that with my own son :lol:

Good, you have to prepare them for the real world.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

Quite fun if you're fit enough to blat round at a good pace, I can see it would be rather dull otherwise. Not somewhere I'd spend 4 hours, but for a few laps it's a good laugh.
  • When I was stuck in London, now fortunately living in the Peak District, Swinley was a great escape and there's definitely fun to be had. I think some people forget that if you press the pedally things on a bike consistently hard you can go fast even without hills.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    When I was stuck in London, now fortunately living in the Peak District, Swinley was a great escape and there's definitely fun to be had. I think some people forget that if you press the pedally things on a bike consistently hard you can go fast even without hills.

This^

I used to live in Reading and would either ride from home up into the Chilterns or for a change would go to a rag around Swinley - different to the bridleways and fun in a different way and easy to do. I dont think the recent changes at Swinley have improved it but I understand the reason and need for them from the landowners pov.

I really don't understand why people say an area is rubbish for riding - you have to make the best of what is near you and then go explore more challenging terrain as and when time allows surely?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    This ^^^^^ etc.
    One learns to ignore the gnarly riding god ramblings of Rockmonkey.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    cooldad wrote:
    This ^^^^^ etc.
    One learns to ignore the gnarly riding god ramblings of Rockmonkey.

Well quite - I have ridden the Quantocks a good few times and sure the downs are great but in comparison to Swinley which is an undulating easy guided ride the Quantocks are long drags up and you need a map - who can be bothered huh?! :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.