Swinley, this morning. Was it you?

BigAl
BigAl Posts: 3,122
edited May 2014 in MTB general
Sliver Giant FS (Trance, I think). Orangy/pink and black top, black shorts.

You need to learn some trail manners!

Was riding the blue with my twins (13 y.o.) this morning. We were on the flat twisty bit just over half way round (is that Labyrinth?). We weren't dawdling, probably about the average pace, some faster, some slower. We always pull over (at a suitable point) when other riders catch us. The vast majority of riders understand this and give a 'thank you' as they go by.

Anyhow, the rider in pink/orange caught us. I could hear him behind me (I always ride at the back with my two - so that they set the pace) so called out to my lads to pull over when they could.

He couldn't be bothered to wait so came crashing past me then son number 1, forcing him to stop, then did the same to son 2 making him stop also. We saw him carrying on the same way with two middle aged ladies further up the trail.

Made my blood boil and my lads may have learned some new words!

Was hoping to catch him at the cafe later but no luck.

Learn some manners - remember there's always someone faster than you too.

Oh, and you'd be faster if you ate fewer pies.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What a c*nt
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Anus.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited May 2014
    Knobbyknobhead. There's always a few.
    But no, that's not Labyrinth. Labyrinth is on the red, and is the least flat trail of the lot - windy up and down and up and down etc etc. My favourite - and they didn't build or surface any of it. Nice tight technical rooty uphills.

Did four hours or so out there today (lovely and hot) and managed to avoid the new trails totally except for a trip up Seagull.

No idea of the numbers though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Flat twisty bit (if it's the bit with the berms and bowls that ends on a fire road where you turn right to continue the blue, or left to get to the red) is Stickler. Or was. RIP.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl
    cooldad wrote:
    Flat twisty bit (if it's the bit with the berms and bowls that ends on a fire road where you turn right to continue the blue, or left to get to the red) is Stickler. Or was. RIP.

That's it.

Looks like it didn't fare too well through the recent rains - is that the reason for the RIP?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    No its open and has extra bits now.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    That's awful. I hope it doesn't out you off Swinley. It does get busy, particularly on the blue but it's not on to act like a hooligan.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Might have been me
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Get a lot of those types at Grizedale too. Usually find them back at the car park loading their bikes onto Audis or toy 4x4s. Tw&s the lot of them.
  • BigAl
    Might have been me

Had you down as the likeliest candidate already
  • BigAl
    benpinnick wrote:
    No its open

Er, yep. I rode it today. Was just a little confused by Cooldad's 'RIP' comment

Won't put us off going to Swinley. My lads enjoy it a lot. And it's much easier riding a marked trail with them. And there's a cafe.
  • cooldad
    It used to be Stickler, now it's blue something or other. I was referring to the name. Stickler is dead. RIP.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But sometimes it's best to ignore me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    cooldad wrote:
    But no, that's not Labyrinth. Labyrinth is on the red, and is the least flat trail of the lot - windy up and down and up and down etc etc. My favourite - and they didn't build or surface any of it. Nice tight technical rooty uphills.
    Is that #20 at the top of the freeride park bit?
  • BigAl
    cooldad wrote:
    But sometimes it's best to ignore me.

• BigAl
    I've only ever ridden Swinley with my lads and we've only done the blue, which they're fine with.

What features of the 'red' make it, er, red?

Presumably everything is rollable? They're a little hesitant about trying it
  • cooldad
    IMHO most of the red is as easy, if not easier than the blue - I think it's only considered red because of the length - a lot of it is just pedally, level trail.
    All of it is rollable. Rezzy (red 25 I think) has a few steep bits, and some braking bumps/roots part way through, but if they can do the blue I doubt they'll have much trouble with the red.
    Labyrinth has some slightly technical bits, but mainly uphill so the worst that can happen is they stop.
    I'd give it a go - they'll feel nicely heroic.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Cqc wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Is that #20 at the top of the freeride park bit?
    The bit at the top going down is Deerstalker (possibly20). Labyrinth is the next bit after the little clearing at the bottom where a few of the DHish trails meet. So possibly red 21?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl
    Thanks CD, red it'll be next time. The extra length will be good. Swinley is 30 mins drive, so doing the blue (once) is done too soon, but doing it twice seems, well, sorta dull.

Red plus cake sounds perfect.
  • t0pc4t
    The red is fine, for a couple of older kids like yours you should have no issues. I'm a massive girls blouse but I find the red great. Some bits are rooty and theres more stuff you can get air on if you want but that's not my cup of char.

Also, and this may be a perception thing, I find the red a little more relaxed in terms of other riders. If I meet a plank acting up it's more often on the blue (which is more crowded) than the red.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Agreed that the blue is best avoided, the red is more interesting and a lot less busy.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Pretty typical and is why I avoid Swinley at weekends during the warmer months as it gets too busy. As long as people are moving along then I see no issue as you generally have a decent line of sight and you can simply back off a bit to leave a gap until they clear the section (they're not particually long in Swinley).

What is frustrating is when people are parked on trail, usually in the middle of a technical section, with no attempt to move out of the way so others can get through. Stupidity or ignorance, I've yet to find an answer.

Deepcut is my poison at this time of year as much quieter and the terrain is far more natural and offers more grip than the gravel Swinley has turned into. I've also yet to happen upon anyone on the same piece of trail at Deepcut so you can happily choose on either a chilled or more "on it" ride.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • t0pc4t
    even if it is busy and you have to wait, there's always time to be polite.

It can get mental though, these last few weeks I've met families with ridealongs and even a balance bike on the entrance to the blue. I think it was a mistake to put the entrance to the blue first as people aren't aware that it's not suitable for really little kids.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • rockmonkeysc
    Maybe on another forum someone is complaining about a bloke with kids ruining his Strava time.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690

What is frustrating is when people are parked on trail, usually in the middle of a technical section, with no attempt to move out of the way so others can get through. Stupidity or ignorance, I've yet to find an answer.

there were 3 people doing this on black powder at antur stiniog yesterday!!!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Might have been me.
  • rockmonkeysc
    welshkev wrote:

there were 3 people doing this on black powder at antur stiniog yesterday!!!

It's even more annoying when people do that during race practice.
  • BigAl
    Might have been me.
    But clearly, you're still unsure.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I took my son for his first ride there yesterday. We did five laps of the green, he loved it but was completely and utterly knackered.

BTW, he is 2 1/2 on was on his Rothan balance bike :mrgreen:

I was thinking to join a couple of you in a few weeks for a ride; perhaps the Sunday after the BH weekend if anyone is around.