Anyone else ride Argon18?

djp66
djp66 Posts: 115
edited May 2017 in Your road bikes
As a relative newbie to road bikes but not to engineering and making all sorts of things, I had intended to build myself a road bike as much for the learning experience and satisfaction of doing it as well as the later riding.

But a chance encounter with a closing down LBS, an offer it was hard to refuse, a bit of research and let's be honest a little bit of heart ruling head meant that I ended up with the Krypton.

It's SRAM Rival with compact chainset, zipp course finishing and Ksyrium Equipe wheels. By far more bike than I can justify at my level but it is motivating me to being a better cyclist and to live up to having such a great bike.

I don't see much mention of Argon 18 on the forum, anyone else out there ?

1956956_723374554351807_8122722090205058570_o.jpg

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    djp66 wrote:
    As a relative newbie to road bikes but not to engineering and making all sorts of things, I had intended to build myself a road bike as much for the learning experience and satisfaction of doing it as well as the later riding.

But a chance encounter with a closing down LBS, an offer it was hard to refuse, a bit of research and let's be honest a little bit of heart ruling head meant that I ended up with the Krypton.

It's SRAM Rival with compact chainset, zipp course finishing and Ksyrium Equipe wheels. By far more bike than I can justify at my level but it is motivating me to being a better cyclist and to live up to having such a great bike.

I don't see much mention of Argon 18 on the forum, anyone else out there ?

1956956_723374554351807_8122722090205058570_o.jpg

Negative, You work hard, you have to enjoy yourself. Kudos for buying a cool bike - now go out, enjoy and come home with a big smile on your face after every ride.

Cool bike - really nice spec, looks good, cool stuff - well done that man.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nice one...
  • Andyb10
    Andyb10 Posts: 126
    Yep, I've got an older Platinum which I now use as my winter bike and am taking delivery of a Gallium Pro with Ultegra DI2 this Saturday.

Frames have been given very good reviews and they aren't that common over here.

Enjoy!!
  • jimmybloom
    jimmybloom Posts: 82
    That's a sweet ride you've got, enjoy it.
    I've got a krypton too, though a few years old now, love it like the day I got it.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Looks great. :)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Smirf
    Smirf Posts: 123
    Love my Argon, so expect you'll feel the same way soon!
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"
    Trek Triton Singlespeed - "commuter"
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    Love my Krypton. It's an incredible frame and my favourite out if the three bikes I've owned. Makes me want to go out!
  • cheschcat
    cheschcat Posts: 95
    Very nice.

Here's my Galluim Pro with Campagnolo Record 11 and Fulcrum Zeros.

20140527_193848_zpsbe732df5.jpg

Please excuse the bottle cages.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    cheschcat wrote:
    Very nice.

Nice bike, and well done for not putting sheep-purchase 50mm carbon clinchers on it!
  • cheschcat
    Thanks, I was thinking a set of Fast Forward F6R's would go nicely.
  • johnnymcg259
    johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
    cheschcat wrote:
    Very nice.

Looks good, you've even tucked it in with a nice cushy pillow for the night. :wink:
    Your saddle looks quite a bit forward though?...........
  • cheschcat
    Short body and long legs means I have a slightly odd position... hence the short stem and outrageous saddle to bar drop. To put it in perspective I am 5'11" and the frame is a medium but I reckon I really need a small.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    cheschcat wrote:
    Thanks, I was thinking a set of Fast Forward F6R's would go nicely.

No no no no no. Unless you need the aero advantage.
  • ara3791
    ara3791 Posts: 378
    About to get some aero wheel ridicule from mfin. Here's my Gallium pro with newly fitted Cosmic Carbone's.

98815786d0549cc4623b00d02f23173f_zps15dd8404.jpg
  • ara3791
    ara3791 Posts: 378
    And my radon

IMAG0095.jpg
  • djp66
    djp66 Posts: 115
    Nice collection guys, it's good to know there are others out there. In fact I saw another white Krypton being ridden only a few miles from here but he disappeared up one of the local hills faster than I could catch him :cry:
  • taff..
    taff.. Posts: 81
    here's my Krypton with 105, a couple of years old and I loves it :D

somerset11_zpsc56203de.jpg
  • jimmybloom
    jimmybloom Posts: 82
    My Krypton had some birthday upgrades, pretty pleased with the results....

argon18_zpse0d8ff2d.jpg
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    Here is a link to my Krypton thread. I adore it. These are simply splendid bikes and I am already considering a Gallium Pro for N+1 purposes!

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12967694&p=18857808&hilit=argon+18#p18857808

Great thread guys with some lovely bikes.

Ben
  • Finally got round to getting some new wheels for my Gallium Pro.

20140918_215928_zpsb51e1170.jpg

20140918_220032_zpse607c339.jpg

Full Spec:
    Argon 18 Gallium Pro (2013)
    Campagnolo Record 11 Groupset
    FFWD F4R (Tubular)
    3T Stealth Ergonova Bars
    3T Stealth Stem
    Specialized Romin Expert Saddle
    Look Keo Blade Pedals
    Vittoria Corsa CX III Tyres
  • I do now, just built this...
    IMG_2505_zps69f8df1c.jpg

2014 Argon 18 Gallium Pro with full Sram Red groupset, Shimano C24 wheels and Ultegra pedals, Cinelli Neo Morphe bars and Neos stem.

I need to work on the front end a bit, I'll probably lower the head tube after my next ride. But it's a lovely bike and lives up to all the positive reviews it's received.
    I do now, just built this...

Very nice

I need to replace a few bits - new bar tape, cables etc so I'm going to add a dash of red which I think suits both the black and white frames.
  • Better photo:

929242_344946485686748_1315377453_n_zps96ad3489.jpg
  • Hi, just built up my Gallium this weekend- The ride is amazing! Smooth, accurate and a nice low position.

For those of you who built-up your own, does your rear brake feel slightly spongy? Mine does and I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious- outers butt-up against the guides that go into the tope tube and only the cable inner goes into the frame, right? I can see the metal guides flex slightly when I squeeze the brake lever. Tempted to run the outer right the way through the top tube if no further suggestions from you guys. Will mean bodging the metal guides a bit though...

Thanks in advance.

Stu
  • I've never had my rear brake feel spongy at all, mine is routed the normal way (just the inner routed through the frame). Which metal guides are flexing, the ones which integrate with the frame? I would suggest checking your outers are seated properly in the guides and the same at the end connecting to the brake? What brakes are you running?
  • Thanks for the reply- something's not quite right with mine, then. I'm using dura ace 9000 and they've been very good on the previous frame to this one- a really rock solid feel when you put the brake on.

Yes, I mean the two metal guides that have 1 screw each holding them into the top tube. When I squeeze the brake one end of each of the metal guides lifts up very slightly (maybe 1mm or so)- the end that doesn't have the screw in it. I suspect that this flex is causing the spongy feeling- will check that the outers are seated properly as you suggest. No metal or plastic ferrules on the end of the cable outers as they enter the frame- just outer directly into the cable guide?
  • I'll check mine when I get home but I think thant without any ferrules is correct. Also remember to check the end connected to the brake :D

Could it be than the outer is too long/short and is not pulling straight at the guide?
  • Just re-read... BOTH of the guides moving? ie the one at the seatpost end and the one at the head tube end of the top tube?

Guessing the inner is suitably lubricated and isn't crossing any other cables inside the top tube?
  • Yep, that's right- both guides when tension builds up in the brake cable. All outers have been cut smoothly and are a decent length. There aren't any other cables in the top tube- just the rear brake. I might check that the guides for the gear cables are the same as the brake guides- they might have been fitted the wrong way round, maybe (not by me!). Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread- will sort out the brake one way or another and post photos of the bike when I've cut the steerer down some more! The bike's brilliant. Thanks for the ideas cheschat.
  • Here you go- my Gallium (not pro!) with Dura Ace and Ksyrium Sl's

IMG_0006i.jpg