Garmin 1000 First Impressions

2»

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    menthel wrote:
    The Garmin 1000 routing seems much better than the 800 - almost too much so. A route I tried on Saturday was downloaded from Strava and I didn't start at exactly the beginning (the guy's house). That seemed to confuse the Garmin slightly as it was sure whether I was on my way out or on my way back (or whether it was navigating me to the start - which it had done though it no longer seems to ask). On the ride, then, it gave me directions to get me to the end leading me to take a wrong turn. I would have minded less if it hadn't taken me off a 50 minute, 500m Cat 2 off-road Strava segment which I was on-track from a top 4 placing and nearly at the end :evil:

The commuting route it chose me was pretty good - not perfect but good enough to feel confident that it's considering the right things. I'm hoping to try the segment capability this evening to see what happens.

Can you not turn off the rerouting bits as you can with the 800? I wouldn't want it to bugger up my hard planned cycle routes!

Odd problem with the 800, I have not had that and quite a few routes I have planned have crossovers. The one I rode on Saturday had a couple in fact. I do use TCX files rather than GPX so perhaps that has something to do with it.

I'm not really sure what was going on. There's lots in the device and it takes a bit of learning. On the positive side, it does show you the route on the map so it's easy to double-check you're going the right way and it doesn't mess with those. As I say, it may just be that it was confused about whether I was coming or going or starting. My 800 was terrible for that : I'd start a 100 mile route from my flat and it would immediately start pointing me the way I'd come because the route overlaps for the last half mile...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Possibly selling my Garmin 800. Have the option of getting a cheap 810 to replace it, or considering the 1000...

Is the 1000 even slightly worth £180 more than the 810.
    Common sense says no :(
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    dhope wrote:
    Possibly selling my Garmin 800. Have the option of getting a cheap 810 to replace it, or considering the 1000...

Is the 1000 even slightly worth £180 more than the 810.
    Common sense says no :(

When they get it working properly, I think it will. By which time the gap in price will probably be smaller.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH