Seatpost - Carbon vs Non carbon

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

I'm after a 400mm 30.9mm seatpost. I have been looking at carbon seatposts but is it really worth paying the extra when i can get others that seem half decent for £35-40 with a bit of bargain hunting.
Are carbon seatposts that much better? Will the weight saving for the carbon post be negligible?
I don't want a dropper seatpost as i will be riding XC races and generally want a fixed post that is light yet does the job effectively.

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Think you've answered your own question.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is your budget and what do you weigh?
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Www.carboncycles.cc get a carbon one for the price you are willing to pay for an ally one. Win win
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Buying a Thompson alu is as good a bet as anything - Merlin generally have good prices on them although haven't checked recently.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    If you have the cash, they are much nicer; they take the buzz out.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I thought you shouldn't run a carbon seat post on an alu frame or is that just internet heresy? (I know you didn't say what frame you have)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why not?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Something about chemical reaction between carbon and alu degrading the aluminium?
    Like I said no idea if true or not.
  • muddpuppy
    muddpuppy Posts: 87
    Isn't that more to do with using grease
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ferrals wrote:
    Something about chemical reaction between carbon and alu degrading the aluminium?
    Like I said no idea if true or not.
    More an issue with ally posts in steel frames, nothing in the resin on a carbon post reacts with aluminium.

I have a very cheap carbon post off ebay, been totally reliable and is much lighter than anything in ally.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I use a well scratched Superstar carbon post in my SS rigid steel frame it takes a lot of the buzz out I find it very comfy and after a lot of miles it hasnt exploded, dissolved the frame or killed any cute puppies.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    Hasn't got wet though has it, well known that carbon fibre dissolves in rainwater...... ;-)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Ferrals wrote:
    I thought you shouldn't run a carbon seat post on an alu frame or is that just internet heresy? (I know you didn't say what frame you have)

I have for the last 2 years and have not died yet. That's what the bike came with - Canyon Nerve XC9
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Ferrals wrote:

Some manufacturers have carbon posts in alu frames - Trek 2.3 comes to mind.

I have a carbon post and it did save quite a bit of weight over the alu one, but I didn't notice much difference in comfort but then I don't have much post exposed.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have carbon posts in 3 of my bikes, all Alu frames and have had no issues. Comfort wise they are better but not by loads, I did it for the weight saving.
  • supersonic
    Comfort depends on the post construction - alu or carbon. Some flex more than others. And surprisingly, many carbon ones are heavier than much cheaper alloy posts.
  • passout
    Agree with the above & think its worth repeating that Thompson make the best posts (IMO). Even if you do have a flexy post, it really depends how much post you expose as to how much it will flex. If comfort is the issue then tyre choice & tyre psi will be much more significant. If weight is the issue then judge each post by its own merits - some alu posts are really light. Then there's titanium of course....
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    passout wrote:
    Agree with the above & think its worth repeating that Thompson make very expensive posts (IMO).
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    They are a quality bit of kit though.
  • passout
    Well yes, expensive but good. You can get them for £50 quid though: http://www.merlincycles.com/thomson-eli ... 47612.html Which I think is OK when you think its not far off that for something distinctly average which won't last as long.
  • The Rookie
    Should have made clear I use a layback and the KCNC is marginally heavier and much more expensive.
    http://www.kcnc.com.tw/Web/NewWeb/mtbclamps.htm

For an inline you can get carbon posts at sub 100g.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    cyd190468 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    I have a very cheap carbon post off ebay, been totally reliable and is much lighter than anything in ally.
    I have a 27.2x350mm alloy KCNCpost that weighs 134g. I've never seen a carbon post that light.

The New Ultimate in my Superfly is 123g. Plenty of companies doing significantly lighter - AX Lightness, Schmolke, MCFK etc. KCNC are light, and good value, but not the lightest by a stretch.
  • mikeyj28
    supersonic wrote:
    What is your budget and what do you weigh?

Ideally no more than £50 if I can help it. I'm 11 stone 8lbs.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • mikeyj28
    njee20 wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    I have a 27.2x350mm alloy KCNCpost that weighs 134g. I've never seen a carbon post that light.

The New Ultimate in my Superfly is 123g. Plenty of companies doing significantly lighter - AX Lightness, Schmolke, MCFK etc. KCNC are light, and good value, but not the lightest by a stretch.
    I've just seen the schmolke seatposts and they are lovely but what a premium to pay!!
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    passout wrote:
    Well yes, expensive but good. You can get them for £50 quid though: http://www.merlincycles.com/thomson-eli ... 47612.html Which I think is OK when you think its not far off that for something distinctly average which won't last as long.

I've never worn out a seatpost :wink:

Thomson are nice, (I have one). But truth be told it was more about vanity than performance. And they're not particularly light, though they are strong.

I'd ask the OP - why do you need a new post? Better ways to spend £50 than on a new post. Depends on the rest of the bike as to whether it's 'value'
  • mikeyj28
    BigAl wrote:
    passout wrote:

I've never worn out a seatpost :wink:

Thomson are nice, (I have one). But truth be told it was more about vanity than performance.

I'd ask the OP - why do you need a new post? Better ways to spend £50 than on a new post. Depends on the rest of the bike as to whether it's 'value'

I'm trimming weight and also want a seatpost with greater length as I am on the limit with a chunky 350mm post. Thought of 400mm but get it as light as possible (within budget limits). It's for an Anthem.
  • BigAl
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    BigAl wrote:
    passout wrote:
    It's for an Anthem.

Ah, in which case, for such a great bike a Thomson is the least you should be putting in it!

Not the I'm biased or anything!

But seriously, I'd go with a lighter post on an Anthem
  • mikeyj28
    BigAl wrote:
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    BigAl wrote:
    passout wrote:
    It's for an Anthem.

Ah, in which case, for such a great bike a Thomson is the least you should be putting in it!

Not the I'm biased or anything!

But seriously, I'd go with a lighter post on an Anthem

Yes i'm definitely going for a lighter post. What is with the love for Thomson?
  • supersonic
    15 years ago most seat post had bonded heads or cast parts. The Thomson shaft and head is one piece, CNC. This made them lighter and more reliable.

Today though we have fully forged posts which are stronger and lighter still. The Thomson is still a good reliable choice, but are certainly lighter options.
  • BigAl
    What he said ^^^^^

Thomson stuff is top-notch, won't let you down

But, these days, you can spend less and get as much or more