Fox 32 Float 140 CTD Factory Kashima v RS Pike RCT3 Solo Air

2»

Comments

• To anyone who is remotely interested I pushed the "Add to basket" button at bike-discount.de for some Pikes @ £465 (without pump, seal kit, etc) so all your efforts were not in vain!

Hopefully these will be okay, the full retail version with pump, etc was £495 so taking bit of a punt but nothing ventured.....

Again thanks for all the comments, appreciated as always :D
    2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
    2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact
  • ***Update***

Having got the Pikes and now fitted them, just thought I`d let anyone who`s interested know just how good I have actually found them :D

I now realise why everyone recommended them over any equivalent Fox 32/34`s - very supple, stiff and supportive (everything the Floats weren`t tbh). Everything and more I ever need from a fork really. Have also now added a Reverb and replaced the Crossrides with some Hope Hoops (Pro 2 Evos on Crests) so one happy bunny now. My riding has been transformed.

Thanks again to everyone who steered me away from the Floats/Talas and towards the Pikes - £449 via Bike Discount in the end :)

Just the shock and that`s it for upgrades - I`m almost bankrupt :lol:
    2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
    2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Crests are an odd choice for a zesty. You have got a nice stiff, tough fork and light weight but not very strong xc rims.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I ride with a guy who has a Pike and Crests on his Stumpy Evo Carbon...he is only about 60kg though
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Tbh you'd have to ride pretty unsmootly to wreck a pair of crests. They're much stronger than their weight suggests. I am only 60kg though.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Very narrow for bigger tyres though.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537

Seat my 2.2 RQueens on my crests easily enough with no hassle and could seat the 2.4s as well if wanted too.

As for strength, they're bloody strong and have taken a hell of a beating, I weigh 70kg, other parts have failed when decending some big stuff but they're still going strong.

Not once have I had to repair/tighten in the 2 years I've had them.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868

Funny you mention that as the internal width is 21mm... Which unless I'm very much mistaken is identical to the Mavic 721 you rave about...

Tbf if you stick largely to xc/trail centres you'll be fine on crests, I've only started to stretch mine beyond their comfort range from hitting DH trails and uplift days.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I always thought they were 17mm. My mistake!
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Cqc wrote:
    Tbh you'd have to ride pretty unsmootly to wreck a pair of crests. They're much stronger than their weight suggests. I am only 60kg though.

Crests are like noodles compared to flows.

I'd go Arch at least on a zesty.
  • gavt0333
    gavt0333 Posts: 95
    As crest's are supposed to be the newer version of the z355s I thought I would say that I bent a rear rim very quickly out of shape with some albeit fairly heavy duty mud-infested riding. I am 90kg and 6'3 however so as others have said they might be fine for you. I upgraded to EX flows.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    ***Update***

Having got the Pikes and now fitted them, just thought I`d let anyone who`s interested know just how good I have actually found them :D

I now realise why everyone recommended them over any equivalent Fox 32/34`s - very supple, stiff and supportive (everything the Floats weren`t tbh). Everything and more I ever need from a fork really. Have also now added a Reverb and replaced the Crossrides with some Hope Hoops (Pro 2 Evos on Crests) so one happy bunny now. My riding has been transformed.

Thanks again to everyone who steered me away from the Floats/Talas and towards the Pikes - £449 via Bike Discount in the end :)

Just the shock and that`s it for upgrades - I`m almost bankrupt :lol:

Welcome to Pikeland. Its a nice place to be.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    As a small update to this thread. I had a play on some 2015 Float 34 Perf forks yesterday. They were awful. I didn't get enough time to test the damping properly, but I did have enough time to figure out how sticky and notchy they are. Felt like I had got in a time machine and gone back 10 years.

My first comment to the guy who had got the bike in for a test was 'Are you sure these are not broken?'. Maybe they were!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    hmmm...that's a bit worrying. Maybe a duff unit? or maybe just another year where Fox are out the game?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • benpinnick
    Im not sure it was duff. It didnt make any nasty noises or anything like that. It was just plain rubbish ;(
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Wouldnt be suprised, not been impressed with them for a few years!