Fox 32 Float 140 CTD Factory Kashima v RS Pike RCT3 Solo Air

handsome devil
handsome devil Posts: 194
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
What it says really!

Wanting to upgrade from the CTD Evo unit on my Zesty and considering these two. I can get the Fox for £380 but it`s a 2013 model and will either require the 15-20cc of extra oil in the air chamber or sending to Mojo for the 2014 damper upgrade at a cost of £90 due to the known compression issues. I can get the Pike (OE) for £464 or the retail unit inc pump, seals and star nut for £495.

I ride mainly XC inc reds at all the trail centres, Quantocks, etc and weigh under 14st all in inc Camelbak, helmet, etc, etc...

Is the Pike overkill for my type of riding? Would the Fox be more tunable and durable over time (always felt Fox were the better made products over RS)?

I think I already know what most of you will recommend but need some assurance before I make the final decision :?

Also is the RS Monarch RT3 worth taking a punt on at £185 instead of the Fox CTD Factory BV at £350??

Any feedback appreciated as always :)
2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact

Comments

• bennyy
    bennyy Posts: 141
    If your into having a brilliant performing fork, the pike is the one to go for. My.old custom build stumpy had a140 32 kashima ctd 2013, my new covert build has a pike rct3, the difference is unreal, but I do more aggressive riding, trail/am/ uplift downhill and the pike awesome.

It's got it all, small bump compliance along with a perfect ramp up towards 2/3 stroke (I run 1.5 tokens (one cut in half) after much fiddling) mega stiff fork, give you the confidence to pick a line and batter through rock gardens and big roots.

In saying all that, if your not riding it too hard, the pike might be overkill, have you thought about the revelation rct3?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    out of those 2 pike by a mile.

setting up my bike tried the pike and the 2014 float 34 kashima fit thing the difference was suprising the pike butchers it.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Whilst the pike is a better fork, the fox costs £100 less and adding the oil to the air chamber is a 3 minute job. It comes down to what you could spend the £100 leftover on- if your bike is otherwise perfect then no need, but reverbs are £150 now, so i would save the money
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Pike definitely. 32mm Floats are too flexy and 2013 models are made of cheese (and not a very good cheese). Pikes will definitely be worth the extra cash.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you are happy with 32mm stanchions then look at Revelation:

http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-re ... 58513.html
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Not even a competition. Pike every time. As Ss says if budget is an issue get some revs.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I did think it would go that way tbh!

Is the difference really as noticeable? I know 2013 Fox CTD had issues but surely there can`t be as big a difference as some would suggest :shock:

I was rather hoping there would be more in favour of the Float albeit with a bit of fettling but it appears there is no contest...

Looks like a Pike then...never thought I`d convert to RS so quickly :o
  • benpinnick
    The pike has raised the bar for every mass market fork, Fox or otherwise. Its got the stiffness of a Fox 36, with the plushness of a zocchi, and the damping & adjustment of a BOS. It also weighs less than all those. It is that good.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I`m guessing all you guys who have contributed have actually ridden the fork? Sounds like some of the replies have been lifted from a mountain bike mag :wink:

I jest! However I am finding the responses surprising in favouring the Pike so highly and dismissing the Float so readily.

Decisions, decisions....
  • benpinnick
    Yes I have.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I'm having a similar debate my self. And like you, i've found that people overwhelmingly lean towards the Pike. Where can you get hold of the forks for £495?
  • Still undecided even taking into account the many recommendations of the Pike!!

Just not sure if I can move to the darkside :lol:

Link for the Pike @ £495 as below;

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/pike ... lack-86839

I think there maybe around a fiver in carriage aswell but still coming in at around £500 which is £25 cheaper than the next cheapest UK based retailer (Winstanleys)...

I am still considering the Float despite the many responses to the contrary :shock:
  • supersonic
    Why are you considering the Fox? Heart or mind?!
  • I guess heart as thats pretty much what I`ve always had but my mind tells me what you`re probably also going to insinuate!

Do you also believe there is really no comparison?

I have also been considering the Revs as you suggested, these may actually suit my style of riding more so than the Pikes tbh...

However it will be with a heavy heart that I turn my back on the (once) mighty Fox!!
  • supersonic
    It's hard not to say no to the latest RS. Cheaper. Stiffer. Lighter. Easier to service. Better reviews ;-)
  • benpinnick
    I used to love fox... SS and I have had some healthy debate on the matter over the years ;) but I have to say that they dropped the ball on CTD, especially the 2013 models. But RS have me hooked right now. Much easier to live with, better performance.... and normally cheaper to boot. Im keen to try the 2014/2015 Talas as I like the sound of the variable travel adjust, but I have to say the price tag would still keep me from buying a set!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I used to like Fox, my old F120 was great but CTD is a solution to a problem that never existed and quality has dropped.
    I would only buy Rockshox or Marzocchi now and Cane Creek shocks.
    If your riding very hard or are quite heavy go for the Pike, if not go for the cheaper, lighter but slightly more flexy Revelation.
    I have a Revelation and think its great, there is a little flex when pushed hard, it would struggle with alpine riding but for normal xc and a little enduro racing I find it fine.
  • Well guys some very compelling advice as to what to buy (or just as importantly what not to buy)!

Just curious as to what effect a 140mm Rev would have on the geometry of the Zesty (150 fork & 140 shock as standard), would dropping 10mm really affect anything other than perhaps steepening the HA from 66.6 to 67ish which to be honest would benefit me on the steeper climbs?

This is one question i would really appreciate some feedback on :?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    if you fit an external bottom cup headset it would make hardly any difference at all (presuming you've got an internal atm)

measure your axle to crown height and find out what the a2c is of the new fork and take it from there.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    Why a 140mm rev? They have been 150mm as standard for a few years.
  • Considering these as they are the latest spec;

http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-re ... 65781.html

Similar to Pikes (RCT3). There are some older 150mm Revs kicking around but I am liking these tbh...

I am thinking 140`s would be okay for me but just seeking clarification from those in the know :)
  • benpinnick
    ... had you not considerd these questions with the 140 floats? :)

The reality is you wont notice the travel change much, the HA will be negligible on the trail, the BB drop might cause you to whack an extra rock or two mind.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    You can get 150mm versions in RL for (well) under £300. RCT3 is nice, but its probably not 40% extra-nice.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    I used to love fox... SS and I have had some healthy debate on the matter over the years ;) but I have to say that they dropped the ball on CTD, especially the 2013 models. But RS have me hooked right now. Much easier to live with, better performance.... and normally cheaper to boot. Im keen to try the 2014/2015 Talas as I like the sound of the variable travel adjust, but I have to say the price tag would still keep me from buying a set!

Found these at Wiggle;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fox-racing-shox ... 5360618163

2014 model and in stock. I too like the travel adjust feature and apparently this is a vastly improved Talas over previous years. Works out at around £495 with Quidco...

I keep going around in circles thinking about this, can`t be any good for my health (or wallet) :lol:
  • benpinnick
    I don't think those will have the revised internals. The new ones are just out recently so unlikely to be that cheap.

You obviously want fox so why not just go buy some? ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • These are apparently the latest, fully revised versions. And yes I suppose I am struggling to see past Fox but just thought these may be a more viable alternative to the Pike :roll:

I will probably end up with the Pike tbh anyway but I do like to go around the houses while researching the options :wink:

Thanks to everyone for the (very heavily RS biased) input, very much appreciated :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's all Rockshox biased because at the moment Rockshox are making better forks for less money. Two years ago the response would have been very different.
  • supersonic
    The Pike is only a little more - 0.3lbs heavier, but much stiffer, better damped, more adjustable.
  • benpinnick
    These are apparently the latest, fully revised versions. And yes I suppose I am struggling to see past Fox but just thought these may be a more viable alternative to the Pike :roll:

I will probably end up with the Pike tbh anyway but I do like to go around the houses while researching the options :wink:

Thanks to everyone for the (very heavily RS biased) input, very much appreciated :)

Theyve only been out 6 weeks... I seriously doubt they are the new internals.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Ah yes, I see what you mean :oops:

You are referring to 2015 forks while I am referring to 2014 which is still vastly improved over previous years. Uses a Float like spring and is much smoother in travel than 2013 versions. Also suffers less stiction too. Compression issues have been addressed but it`s still a 32 so stiffness may be an issue where the Pikes will definitely be better...

While I do like the sound of these, I will probably go for the Pikes as as you and various others have helpfully pointed out they will be stiffer, more adjustable and arguably better damped than the Talas.

Now then, where`s me wallet :o