Brand new trail built right next to me! (and some stories!)

2»

Comments

• cammyb96
    cammyb96 Posts: 107
    Lots of negativity...

#1 - Its extremely local
    #2 - As a beginner, its challenging me and pushing me to try harder trails
    #3 - Yeah its packed gravel but I wouldn't fancy doing a natural trail on a hardtail

This whole trail is designed around beginners and accessibility, if you want to challenge yourself head to the black or red routes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why wouldn't you want to ride natural trails on a hardtail?
    Nothing wrong with beginners trails but that one has no real flow or interesting features. It doesn't appear to be very well designed. Very similar to Ashton Court in Bristol and thats terrible.
  • cammyb96
    Nothing wrong with beginners trails but that one has no real flow or interesting features. It doesn't appear to be very well designed. Very similar to Ashton Court in Bristol and thats terrible.

True, it might not be an amazing trail but I'm really enjoying it atm. First actual experience of downhill biking, as easy as it might be.

I just don't know why people want to bash on something that doesn't effect them at all.
  • rockmonkeysc
    That's nothing like downhill mountain biking. Not even on a beginners level. It's closer to road cycling than downhill.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    cammyb96 wrote:
    I just don't know why people want to bash on something that doesn't effect them at all.

Don't worry about monkey. He's a riding god with a need to express himself. You'll get used to it after a while.

If it gets people out riding then it's all good.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    That's nothing like downhill mountain biking. Not even on a beginners level. It's closer to road cycling than downhill.

:lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cammyb96
    Had this problem with this forum before, completely block newcomers. All I did was post pics of a trail...

I'm going continue to ride the trail because I enjoy it, regardless on your opinion.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't take him too seriously. Some people like massive scary stuff, some actually enjoy riding on roads.
    Most are somewhere in between.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I go to Hicks lodge in Leicestershire occasionally, it's not challenging, but I can take the wife for a ride round she enjoys and is fun enough (if not ridden too often) that I still enjoy it, not everyone wants gnarley challenging trails, so lets rejoice in the differences!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    cooldad wrote:
    Don't take him too seriously. Some people like massive scary stuff, some actually enjoy riding on roads.
    Most are somewhere in between.

I'm not convinced even roadies enjoy riding on the road. You never see them smiling!
    I enjoy everything from blue to double black trails. All through that range there are good trails and bad ones. They can all be fun if they're well thought out and well built.
    The trail the op posted about just looks like it has no flow to it, the berms aren't built right and the tables are in the wrong places.
  • cooldad
    They do though, that's the weird thing. One guy I know's idea of a perfect holiday is to spend a few weeks riding up famous really long TdeF type hills. Not fussed about the downs, but is happy to spend whole days riding up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    cammyb96 wrote:
    Had this problem with this forum before, completely block newcomers. All I did was post pics of a trail...

I'm going continue to ride the trail because I enjoy it, regardless on your opinion.

if you enjoy it, it really doesn't matter. I love the new trails at Swinley, Cooldad seems less impressed but that won't affect my enjoyment riding them.

Trails just out your back door are always a win in my book.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • cooldad
    t0pc4t wrote:
    cammyb96 wrote:

if you enjoy it, it really doesn't matter. I love the new trails at Swinley, Cooldad seems less impressed but that won't affect my enjoyment riding them.

Trails just out your back door are always a win in my book.
    I do seem to be in a minority, just preferred the old stuff (most of which is still hidden away, often running parallel to the new stuff), but mainly I prefer my trails quiet. The new stuff gets a bit busy and I spend enough time on the M25.
    Some of it is a lot of fun, and at least they didn't mess with Labyrinth, my favourite.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I like some of the fast bermed sections a lot and I also like the fact that there are two distinct loops you can do (the blue is ideal for a quick blast) but I am also feeling you 100% on the traffic, it's worst on that first section of the blue.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • cammyb96
    Yeah, this trail has allot of berms. They're really fun if you hit them with speed. Starting to get confident with the blue, able to blast down it like its nothing. In my books as long as I'm progressing I'm doing something right :D
  • Why wouldn't you want to ride natural trails on a hardtail?

F me, what's your issue with Ashton court?
    Giant Trance 3 '08
    Kona Lava Dome '96
    Giant Alliance '08
  • rockmonkeysc

F me, what's your issue with Ashton court?

It's sh1t. Every time you get a bit of speed up there's a really tight turn. All the trail marker posts are on the inside of the turns. The jumps are built way too short for the speed you can carry in to them. The surface is terrible. There's just nothing remotely interesting about the trail. And you have to share a car park with golfists.
  • Well, if you have to drive to get there then it's nothing special.

If you live in Bristol and it's a 10 minute ride away, then it's ace.
    Giant Trance 3 '08
    Kona Lava Dome '96
    Giant Alliance '08
  • AAddict
    AAddict Posts: 77
    I ride a lot of rocky and rooty trails in the Lakes, some of that lovely smooth stuff looks nice and relaxing. Would be nice to do a couple of miles of that back to the car at the end of your mountain biking.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Well, if you have to drive to get there then it's nothing special.

If you live in Bristol and it's a 10 minute ride away, then it's ace.

There's much better riding in Brizzle. Belmont woods is good and some of the un official stuff is loads better than the official trails as long as it's not wet!