Brand new trail built right next to me! (and some stories!)

cammyb96
cammyb96 Posts: 107
edited May 2014 in MTB general
So a few months ago there was a project started to build a downhill trail at some local forestry in Dundee Scotland. Just had a go for the first time today and I must say its a great track for something built locally.

Templeton.jpg

templeton-3.jpg

Built with two tracks, red and blue. The blue consists of lots of drop off's, berms, jumps and table tops. The red contains some really crazy jumps and drop off's that I wouldn't dare to do with out the proper gear!.

Whilst heading down the trail a few deer, came right across the track and through the forestry; they're really common. There also the small matter of a flash flood... in a matter of seconds there was lightning striking a water tower about 30 feet from where I was and hail stones!

Long awaited video of the track, video jumps and skips a bit but its watchable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y18oCsrZ6ks&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• Rambo_123
    Rambo_123 Posts: 183
    Any chance of some pics of the jumps? I don't live a million miles away being just outside elgin.

EDIT: didn't see the the bit about the video, sorry mate never mind.
  • cammyb96
    haven't got any pics of them atm, I'll head up some time over the next few days and upload a bunch here; glad to hear you're quite close.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks like a road.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cammyb96
    Yeah, its built for amateurs.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Is it tarmac'd? I would rather use my road bike than my downhill bike on that.
    It doesn't exactly blend in to the forest does it?
  • cammyb96
    Its packed gravel
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Is it tarmac'd? I would rather use my road bike than...
    Yeah, but the berms do look quite fun anyway
    Most man made trails stand out a lot
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Well, it is new. It ain't going to look like that in a year's time.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Who built it?

Looks like the work of "Back on Track Mountain Bike Solutions" - they like gravel... a lot.
  • rockmonkeysc

Several years on it still won't blend in. Just take a look at Ashton Court.
  • cooldad
    Who built it?

Looks like the work of "Back on Track Mountain Bike Solutions" - they like gravel... a lot.
    The notorious Rowan Sorrell, killer of roots.
    He does like smooth and berms. Built them all over Swinley unfortunately.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young

Several years on it still won't blend in. Just take a look at Ashton Court.

Sure, it's never going to be wild and interesting, but it's not going to be quite the eyesore that it is now forever.
  • cammyb96
    Nice feedback guys, I think it is a bit of an eyesore but they built it under some dense forestry and you can't really see it unless you are heading directly for it.
  • cooldad
    They serve a purpose - lots of people enjoy them.
    And keep the tourists off the sneaky trails.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cammyb96
    cooldad wrote:
    They serve a purpose - lots of people enjoy them.
    And keep the tourists off the sneaky trails.

haha I agree, as for being a local track. Its great for some practise!
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    The trail in Sandwell Valley in Brum looked the same last year but it's blended in well this year and turned a brown colour from the tarmac blue/grey it was when new!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Does the bloke do driveways as well :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD2RBqRBinY

looks good for newbies

surprised by the negative comments in the thread - anything that gets people out there onto their bikes is to be commended. not everyone wants to ride rough natural trails when they start off MTBing.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Who built it?

Speak of the devil

Rowan yesterday

https://www.facebook.com/#!/EyesdownFilms?fref=photo
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    POAH wrote:
    surprised by the negative comments in the thread...

You've been coming here long enough, negativity on this forum shouldn't surprise you at all.
  • rockmonkeysc
    cooldad wrote:
    Who built it?

Not all his trails are perfectly surfaced. The black trails at Bike Park Wales have some nice natural features and the top of Dai Hard is pretty rooty.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Rowan does a fair mix of types.

But there are to many of the bermy things around, not really my bag.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I'm not a fan of the bike park style flowing berms and big jumps. They're good fun for a while but don't give the challenges you get from a natural trail where you need to think about lines and techniques a lot more.
    It is fun riding down flowy, jumpy trails with a big group though.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    POAH wrote:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD2RBqRBinY

looks good for newbies

surprised by the negative comments in the thread - anything that gets people out there onto their bikes is to be commended. not everyone wants to ride rough natural trails when they start off MTBing.

+1
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    POAH wrote:

A good blue trail should be as much fun for a beginner as a more experienced rider, nice flowing berms, rollers you can either pump, manual or double up depending on your skills and most importantly lots of variation. The trail in this video has none of that, just some rather flat berms and a couple randomly placed tables. It makes Ashton Court look good.
    Some of the newer blue trails are excellent fun, a couple at BPW are hilarious to ride fast but beginners enjoy them just as much as well.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    POAH wrote:

A good blue trail should be as much fun for a beginner as a more experienced rider, nice flowing berms, rollers you can either pump, manual or double up depending on your skills and most importantly lots of variation. .
    Yeah, but an experienced rider will still get bored very quickly eg Barry knows best is a fun trail, but my god thank God I don't ride there that often...
  • rockmonkeysc
    There are some blue trails which are brilliant fun.
    Sixtapod at BPW is a perfect example, when ridden fast there are doubles, step downs and hips everywhere. I can't think of any other trail that gives more air time and some of those jumps are a good size. A beginner could ride the same trail and keep both wheels firmly on the ground.
    The first two minutes of this video are blue trail http://vimeo.com/m/95287406
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Cool, an MTB trail I can ride with 23mm slicks on a road bike!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    different terrain and cost I imagine comes it to it. However, that video still shows a trail that is pretty smooth what would be ridden on a ridged bike in comfort.

There are some blue trails which are brilliant fun.
    Sixtapod at BPW is a perfect example, when ridden fast there are doubles, step downs and hips everywhere. I can't think of any other trail that gives more air time and some of those jumps are a good size. A beginner could ride the same trail and keep both wheels firmly on the ground.
    The first two minutes of this video are blue trail http://vimeo.com/m/95287406
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I think RockmonkeySC was trying to say a trail can be smooth yet also fun for beginners and experts as shown by the trail at BPW unlike the trail shown by the OP.

If they thought about the placement of rollers and bumps a bit more it could've been a better track which wouldn't have cost more.