Shifters/derailleur compatibility

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seriously, no one cares for your roadie shite. Toodle off back.
    And this.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    cooldad wrote:
    Although I normally use them on other peoples bikes who haven't sorted their chains properly.

this ^^^
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    rubez wrote:

2/ At some point they will save you a very long walk home or back to the car

Some good old fashioned scaremongering. Am I to believe you ride around constantly with these vital emergency tools on your person?! In your bum-bag? :lol:

Also, you'd just coast home on your bike, wouldn't you. Much quicker...

Not scaremongering - carrying tools to for trail side repairs (along with water, energy bars, a phone, simple 1st aid kit etc) is standard practice if you're out in the mountains.

Fixing a broken chain takes 5mins max - would easily beat you to the carpark or pub if you were 'coasting' back - especially as it's pretty hard to coast up hill in my experience. Spend the tenner dude - well worth it
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    rubez wrote:

Some good old fashioned scaremongering. Am I to believe you ride around constantly with these vital emergency tools on your person?! In your bum-bag? :lol:

Yes I ride with them in my camel back. Coast home? You really are a tool aren't you?!?
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    cooldad wrote:
    rubez wrote:

Those and others. Like tools, tube, puncture kit, spare mech hanger, spare bit of chain, couple of quick links, cable ties, tyre boot etc.
    In a Camelbak thing actually. Scooting isn't much fun on top of a mountain in Wales, in the rain (it is always raining in Wales) ten miles away from the car.
    I also keep a full tool kit, box of spares and a few tyres in my boot.

Weird or what?

You forgot the latex gloves Cooldad :shock:
  • rubez
    rubez Posts: 323

Not scaremongering - carrying tools to for trail side repairs (along with water, energy bars, a phone, simple 1st aid kit etc) is standard practice if you're out in the mountains.

To be fair, this is the kit-out for the apocalypse too :lol:

What stuff do I need for fitting a new chain?

A chain, a tool, and a special link thing?

Also what make of chain is best? Shimano or SRAM look the most popular...
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Did you take a look at Parktool website?
  • rubez
    edited May 2014
    I'm not fitting it yet. Parktools don't give recommendations, or buying advice.

If only there was a place to garner this information, from people in the know... :shock:

The gear varies wildly in appearance and price. What am I looking for?

Don't need anything overpriced or fancy. But don't need anything awkward to use or of blatant garbage quality either...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Standard rubez thread. Entertainment.
  • rubez
    A "chain tool", whatever the hell that is, a special pin, and a chain itself.

Display your finest wares for me...
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Did you use Google?
  • rubez
    Indeed.

The chains are split into categories of speeds - 7-speed, 8-speed, 9-speed etc...

Seems odd. Will I go for the highest speed to make sure I have enough links? Or any the different speeds different widths?

Will 114 links be enough?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Get the right speed chain for your cassette, them measure as needed per Park Tools.
This discussion has been closed.