Shifters/derailleur compatibility

rubez
rubez Posts: 323
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Are Shimano Atlus shifters compatible with an Alivio rear derailleur - and a Tourney front mech thing (?also called a derailleur)

Assumed so, but now not so sure... :|

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Exact model numbers - or actual photos
  • rubez
    Shimano Altus Left Hand 3 Speed Rapidfire Gear Shifter Lever Pod SLM310
    Shimano Altus Right Hand 7 Speed Rapidfire Gear Shifter Lever SLM310

Shimano Alivio Mountain Bike Rear Derailleur Mech SILVER RD-M410SGSS

- and don't have a model # for the front derailleur, it's a Shimano Tourney and is a 3-speed.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    In this case, a simple yes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rubez
    Good, cause the derailleur has already shipped.

To fit it, I just take the bottom cog out it and tuck the chain behind it, and put the bolt back in, yes?

I know you can take the chain apart, but screw that.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Get a quicklink for your chain, makes life a whole lot easier.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rubez
    Always been wary about taking chains apart, probably unwarranted, but I remember taking derailleurs apart like this to get the chain through it many years ago.

Same should still apply. It's only taking one cog out. I regard taking the chain apart as more of a hassle, especially since it don't have the tool.
  • cooldad
    The chain, assuming new, will probably need shortening anyway, and if old, will probably need replacing, and shortening.

Info probably on Parktools.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Rubez, that's utterly stupid, not that I'd expect less. You have a 3/4th hand tool but no chain tool. Tool.
  • rubez
    The chain is the existing one, still new.

Don't see how it will need shortening/lengthening.

I noticed a screw on the derailleur that reins in slack/slackens the chain anyway...
  • Chunkers1980
    Er no it doesn't.

Perhaps you should read Parktools.
  • rubez
    Why would the chain length need to alter?

Nothing else did.
  • Chunkers1980
    Why did you order a new new rear mech.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    rubez wrote:
    Why would the chain length need to alter?

Err, because its too long
    rubez wrote:
    Nothing else did.
    That's right everything else you've done has been pure plain sailing, without a hitch or a problem to be seen. You're bloody priceless you.
  • rubez
    Cause that one was crap, and I didn't know if it was suitable for 7-speed, having changed from a 6-speed cassette.

Tourney is bottom of the barrel. Alivio was the best "7/8-speed" available. The better ones are all 9 and 10-speeds.

BigAl, how do you know the chain is too long?!
  • rubez
    I'ma gone paste this here for future reference.

Install chain normally and shift to both largest cogs, Watch the derailer arm it shouldn't be completely straight. Switch to both smallest cogs it shouldn't sag.

Derailer shifts faster when it is closer to cogs. There is a screw on the back that raises or lowers whole mechanism. Switch to largest rear cog and adjust screw so that derailer wont bump into cogs or get too close.

For a "quickie" chain length test shift into the big/big combination. The derailleur cage should be pulled almost horizintal and have just a skosh of slack.
  • Chunkers1980
    For who's reference? And where's that from?
  • drlodge
    rubez wrote:
    I'ma gone paste this here for future reference.

Install chain normally and shift to both largest cogs, Watch the derailer arm it shouldn't be completely straight. Switch to both smallest cogs it shouldn't sag.

Derailer shifts faster when it is closer to cogs. There is a screw on the back that raises or lowers whole mechanism. Switch to largest rear cog and adjust screw so that derailer wont bump into cogs or get too close.

For a "quickie" chain length test shift into the big/big combination. The derailleur cage should be pulled almost horizintal and have just a skosh of slack.

Most of that is not necessary, just fit the chain as long as possible and when on small-small the rear derailleur still has some tension in the chain.

I do agree with Rubez's question though as to why would the chain not be the right length if its just the derailleurs being changed? It might need to be altered if the rear derailleur's cage is a different size....may be.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cooldad
    For who's reference? And where's that from?
    "Skosh"?
    I think I can hazard a guess as to the fevered mind that though that up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    drlodge - your method does not stop the mech being ripped off.

And he has changed the cassette - therefore may have a bigger or smaller big spocket.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    edited May 2014
    rubez wrote:
    BigAl, how do you know the chain is too long?!

I'm a Jedi Master and see things from afar. It's my gift

Or,

1. Chains, as sold, are almost always too long for an MTB – unless you have a mahoosive cassette
    2. To shorten a chain, one must have a chain tool
    3. You don’t have a chain tool

Ergo, your new chain will be too long
  • drlodge
    drlodge - your method does not stop the mech being ripped off.

How so? This is exactly how my super record Rourke bike is setup, since there is only one possible chain length using 34-54 and 12-29. Under what conditions might the mech get ripped off? To be clear, when I say some tension, I mean the lower part of the chain must be completely clear of the rear derailleur .

Top left photo below - I'd say the chain length is marginal, possibly still a smidge too long.

60208-largest_Cage_Sequence_Full.jpg

Unless it looks like this - its about as long as I'd go.

60200-largest_1_Chain_correct.jpg
    And he has changed the cassette - therefore may have a bigger or smaller big spocket.
    Mentioned on another thread?
    Find me on Strava
  • rubez
    T'aint a new chain though, jedi master.

I have pedalled it upside down with the new cassette, didn't seem to be a problem.

Will have to wait and see I suppose.
  • cooldad
    drlodge wrote:
    Mentioned on another thread?
    You could say that. Forget the mech, big/big without the mech and a link or two, depending on suspension/chain growth. Obviously a hardtail will not have that.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Get a chain splitting tool and a pack of quick links man! Probably under a tenner for both

1/ They will allow you to make your chain the correct length rather than just guessing

2/ At some point they will save you a very long walk home or back to the car
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    This^^^^^^^^^^^

Although I normally use them on other peoples bikes who haven't sorted their chains properly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rubez

Some good old fashioned scaremongering. Am I to believe you ride around constantly with these vital emergency tools on your person?! In your bum-bag? :lol:

Also, you'd just coast home on your bike, wouldn't you. Much quicker...
  • Chunkers1980
    edited May 2014
    Nope, not scaremongering. Common sense which is why you'll not do it.

It's not quicker to scoot. Just knock out the broken link with the tool and then pop in quick link.
  • drlodge
    I carry a Topeak Rescue box, whic is a handy little container for patches and holding a spare quicklink. Plus I have a Topeak 20-multi tool which has a chaintool in it, but I really wonder if its up to the job of pushing out an 11sp link. Hopefully I won't have to find out.
    Find me on Strava
  • Chunkers1980
    Seriously, no one cares for your roadie shite. Toodle off back.
  • cooldad
    rubez wrote:

Some good old fashioned scaremongering. Am I to believe you ride around constantly with these vital emergency tools on your person?! In your bum-bag? :lol:

Also, you'd just coast home on your bike, wouldn't you. Much quicker...
    Those and others. Like tools, tube, puncture kit, spare mech hanger, spare bit of chain, couple of quick links, cable ties, tyre boot etc.
    In a Camelbak thing actually. Scooting isn't much fun on top of a mountain in Wales, in the rain (it is always raining in Wales) ten miles away from the car.
    I also keep a full tool kit, box of spares and a few tyres in my boot.

Weird or what?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
This discussion has been closed.