xc rider to dh??? how hard is the transition

2»

Comments

• jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    That sounds fun I want to try that one now ;) haha thanks alot guys I will let you know how I get on lol
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    There's no magical difference between designated DH tracks and other trails. Just start on the lower graded ones and take it easy the first time down anything.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There's quite a difference between a black xc trail and a black dh trail.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    It sounds like you'll get on just fine.

I used to ride the old DH at FoD and at Bringewood (Ludlow) on a hardtail, which had V brakes for a while. A competant rider on a modern bike should have no real problems.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Bringewood is quite easy for a DH track, there's no huge jumps, the tabletops are rollable and there's always a way round thing

But it's still great fun and great to practise on due to it being an easier track.. Although it is very tricky in the wet with greasy mud and a lot of surface water
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    just bought my first downhill bike to be honest it doesn't feel much different than my xc bike except it weighing more than double and hitting things I wouldn't dream off going over on my xc bike on my dh bike and hardly feeling anything. I have to say jumping something that weighs 20kg is a bit concerning at first how hard you have to work on it. Thanks for all the help!
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • rockmonkeysc
    That weight helps make the bike feel more stable and adds some strength (usually). I have tried a 34lb Trek Session and hated it, much preferred the stable, solid feel of my 39lb Scalp.
    Downhill bikes really start working best at high speeds and when you're at your limit.
    What bike did you get?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I'm guessing its the Giant Faith 2 DH in his signature.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    That would explain the 20kg! Heavy old beasts but you won't break one.