I have a confession to make...

2»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    stanislav wrote:
    Hook line and sinker :lol:
    So you start a complaint about someone being a smartarse and end up with a smartarse line you haven't earned.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    RichN95 wrote:
    stanislav wrote:
    So you start a complaint about someone being a smartarse and end up with a smartarse line you haven't earned.
    Ironic isn't it but why would I want to earn a smartarse title,i'll leave that to you your lordship.
    PTP winner 2015.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Please don't fight! I got the race name wrong - I don't want people to fall out. I enjoyed it, let's just all get along please.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    stanislav wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    stanislav wrote:
    Ironic isn't it but why would I want to earn a smartarse title,i'll leave that to you your lordship.

Well, in that case it leaves you holding the arse title. Not smart.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    stanislav wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    stanislav wrote:

Well, in that case it leaves you holding the arse title. Not smart.
    HEY,another arrogant @rse joins the debate, who'd of thought that on this forum.All mates together eh
    PTP winner 2015.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    So, the cycling...

I thought stage one was like watching a 4th cat race ridden by 8 year olds.

Just watched highlights of today's final stage and I have to say it was really rather good. Filled with lots of attacking racing... All of which was covered beautifully by Cat Woman.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    I haven't watched it, but basically all levels of sport can be entertaining to watch and all can also be as dull as dishwater.

The main argument people put forward to explain the difference between top level sport and lower level relates to people wanting to see the best. People want to see things they can't even dream of doing. For example, if you think you could run the 100m in 10.6s with the appropriate training, it is not that amazing to watch some women do it in 10.7s, but Usain Bolt is pretty special.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The thing that gets me about a lot of the criticism of women's racing (not here I might add) is that people watch a boring women's race and they attribute that boringness to it being a women's race. People don't watch a boring men's race and attribute the boringness to it being men. They'll attribute it to all manner of things, parcours, tactics, make up of the attacks etc. etc. etc. but never to the cyclist's gender, never to it just being men's racing. It is this difference that annoys me most.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    I watched the coverage of this race and enjoyed it. Men's racing or women's, it is all racing and once the various big name riders become more familiar to us, that attraction of women's racing will grow further. Beside dodgy drivers in race director cars, the biggest danger to the success to the women's code could be the dominance of Marianne Vos. There is very little she can't win other than maybe the big stage races with high mountains like the Giro D'Italia Femminile. She is undoubtedly the best in the field but her dominance might make too many races a foregone conclusion.

DD.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Only just watched Sunday's race highlights and thought it very good - LuLu and other teams really trying to shake it up, and a number of young riders coming through - Garner, Ratto etc., and a good others at least keeping Vos challenged.

Not quite sure how Huge Porter got so muddled at the end when he decided Lucy Garner came in 3rd.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I watched the coverage of this race and enjoyed it. Men's racing or women's, it is all racing and once the various big name riders become more familiar to us, that attraction of women's racing will grow further. Beside dodgy drivers in race director cars, the biggest danger to the success to the women's code could be the dominance of Marianne Vos. There is very little she can't win other than maybe the big stage races with high mountains like the Giro D'Italia Femminile. She is undoubtedly the best in the field but her dominance might make too many races a foregone conclusion.

but albeit to suddenly go all Hugh Portery :lol: there were parts of the final stage where if theyd thrown the finishing flag out at that point, Vos wouldnt have won overall...at least thats what they were telling us at the finish anyway I dont think it was just to build the tension...and ok looking back 3 stage wins, points jersey and an overall win, yes it looks like Vos totally dominated, but I honestly do think its closer than that.

The problem is the other riders have to be at their best to do it consistently, and there seemed enough niggles, injuries, illness, bad luck happening in the rest of field to put them all off. There were certainly alot of riders pre-race Id have picked to feature strongly, who had a far quieter race than Id expected.