Calling a bike a 'steed'?

13»

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    metronome wrote:
    Rig. Simply awfully.

Worst word of the moment… Selfie.

There was a phase a few weeks back of "the most people you can get in a selfie".

It's just ONE you prat, as there's only ONE person holding the camera, everyone else is just in the picture.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    "Welcome to my world"

Knob.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Capt Slog wrote:
    metronome wrote:
    Rig. Simply awfully.

There was a phase a few weeks back of "the most people you can get in a selfie".

It's just ONE you prat, as there's only ONE person holding the camera, everyone else is just in the picture.

Which reached it's grim nadir with the most cringingly terrible non selfie of all time - that contrived Oscar one which proved that the worlds "greatest" Hollywood actors and actresses couldn't manage to act one single convincingly sincere looking smile between any of them.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    On behalf of all metallurgists:

"Alloy" for alluminium. Steel is an alloy, titanium used in bike frames is an alloy, brass is an alloy. Any metal mixed with something else (including another metal) is an alloy.

If it's aluminium say aluminium.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Actually, in all likelihood, it will be an alloy, the major element being aluminium..
    The cylinder heads we make at work are 89 or 90℅ aluminium, depending on whether they're for Renault or Nissan ( the 1℅ does make a difference). The rest being made up from silicon, strontium, iron, magnesium and a few others. If they were 100℅, they wouldn't be much good

Having said that, I get what you mean

Back OT
    "Part out"......NO!!!!!!! The word you are looking for is " swap" or perhaps "exchange" (unless you're from the US)
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Andy9964 wrote:
    Actually, in all likelihood, it will be an alloy, the major element being aluminium..

Having said that, I get what you mean

Yes it's that "Alloy" always = aluminium in bike reviews that's annoying.

To comment on earlier suggestions "Pull the trigger... " Guilty m'lud, I promise I'll go straight in future and only purchase things. "Cockpit" horrible Clarksonism imported by bike reviewers.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,501
    The tendency for our US cousins to over elaborate or invent words. "Normalcy" wtf is that? We've already got a word for it!

This wouldn't be so bad if they were able to use established words in their correct context:

On a plane flying in the US recently:

". . . we will be landing momentarily . . ."

Really? we're going to kind of touch down, stay a few seconds and then take off again?

They need to properly vocabularize
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • capt_slog
    This thread is going to have to merge with Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    metronome wrote:
    Rig. Simply awfully.

Which reached it's grim nadir with the most cringingly terrible non selfie of all time - that contrived Oscar one which proved that the worlds "greatest" Hollywood actors and actresses couldn't manage to act one single convincingly sincere looking smile between any of them.

Easy now grandpas, have you taken your naps this afternoon? :wink::lol:

No I bloody haven't! TBF, I have no objection to the selfie in principle. Though I do object to the thought that you young whippersnappers think you invented it!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • capt_slog
    Rolf F wrote:

Easy now grandpas, have you taken your naps this afternoon? :wink::lol:

No I bloody haven't! TBF, I have no objection to the selfie in principle. Though I do object to the thought that you young whippersnappers think you invented it!

Yeh, tell him Rolf! :lol:

We used to press a button on the camera then walk around to the front and joined the photo before the self timer activated. Nothing new, we just didn't call it a 'selfie'.

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Capt Slog wrote:
    This thread is going to have to merge with Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Nooo... keep it bike related... there's plenty more... referring to a bike as a 'machine', eg. "It's a really nice machine you've got there". No, it's not a 'machine' you berk, its a f****** 'bike'.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    mfin wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

Nooo... keep it bike related... there's plenty more... referring to a bike as a 'machine', eg. "It's a really nice machine you've got there". No, it's not a 'machine' you berk, its a f****** 'bike'.

Well, it is a machine, but calling it that suggest that you can't tell what type . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Giraffoto wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

Well, it is a machine, but calling it that suggest that you can't tell what type . . .

Technically yes but I THINK that people can tell it's a bike? (Unless they are under let's say 18months old?)

In the real world what's happening is someone consciously or sub-consciously thinks it's cool to call it a 'machine', or, that calling it a 'machine' makes it sound cool. All that aside, it's a f*****g bike.
  • Referring to a bike as "she". "She rides really well", "She's only done a few thousand miles", "She descends brilliantly" etc etc etc.
    Damned awful I tell ya!
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Referring to a bike as "she". "She rides really well", "She's only done a few thousand miles", "She descends brilliantly" etc etc etc.
    Damned awful I tell ya!
    Absolutely, they should know that bikes really hate it when you anthropomorphise them
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Referring to a bike as "she". "She rides really well", "She's only done a few thousand miles", "She descends brilliantly" etc etc etc.
    Damned awful I tell ya!

If my bike was a "she", she would be riding me :lol::lol: :shock:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I pulled the trigger on a new stem and handlebars last night. I'm hoping that will be all I need to get this current steed dialled in just right.

It's still rideable as it is, the hoops just roll and roll. Shod with Conti rubber, you see.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/