Calling a bike a 'steed'?

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited May 2014 in The cake stop
'My new steed', things like that, and calling a bike 'she' or 'her' as well.

Daft.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    ZHgMUa.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • mfin
    It is amazing that people call their bikes things like a 'steed' though isn't it, some of them are apparently grown-ups as well!! :)
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Bit like calling a banana Mrs Peel ...
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I think you will find it is "steads"... you know, the sort that come with "peddles".
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • mfin
    I think people that call their bike a 'steed' are actually more of a berk than those who type 'peddles' instead of 'pedals' (or 'breaks' instead of 'brakes')! ...actually, sod that being an 'I think' issue because it is in fact a fact.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    If it's "trusty steed" you can be reasonably sure that they'd open the batting in a pub with "ho, stout yeoman!" to the barman. On an only tangentially related note, any time I read about a knight and his charger I think of a guy in armour holding a pair of battery clamps.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Like you can be reasonably sure that someone who calls the barman 'stout yeoman' would also use 'open the batting' instead of greet. :)
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    It's the people who call Tipp-ex liquid paper that I find abhorrent.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Liquid_paper.png

Poor Liquid Paper - usurped by latecomer Tippex :(
    Faster than a tent.......
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    And people referring to wheels as 'hoops' always makes me shudder.

As does 'Campy' for Campagnolo. And 'skid lid' for helmet.

In fact, everything annoys me this afternoon - I need a beer.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    In fact, everything annoys me this afternoon - I need to quaff some of the amber nectar.

FTFY
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    What about disks being called ROTORS.

Seriously stop with that.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    bompington wrote:
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    In fact, everything annoys me this afternoon - I need to quaff some of the amber nectar.

FTFY

Excellent pixellation fix-ellation, Der Bompenfuhrer! Muchos thankios. Etc.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    edited May 2014
    Makes me cringe :(

I hate the way my MTB wheels are 'hope hoops'.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mfin
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    And people referring to wheels as 'hoops' always makes me shudder.

As in "I'm trying to decide on some new hoops for my steed", to which the standard response should be "Are you, are you really? ...well f*** off"

Every time someone calls their bike a steed they receive 5 w****r points.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Sit down mfin and standby for the worst crime……

"brifters" - WTF!?!?!?!?!?
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Rig. Simply awfully.

Worst word of the moment… Selfie.
    tick - tick - tick
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Anyone that 'runs' a piece of equipment on their bike. I've even heard someone being asked what bib shorts they run.

F**K OFF
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Thought it was just me! Can I add in 'I'm a Cat 4 racer and I train on my local Cat 3 climb' - no, you're a ******* 4th cat and you train on some small tump that cyclists have ridden for decades without ending to categorise it :evil:

Anyway, what rubber should I put on my new steed's hoops?
  • fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    I Hate the way Americans say they "snagged" something when they just bought it online - and probably paid shedloads for it.
  • mfin
    People who buy new wheels then say they 'roll really well', of course they do, they're f**cking wheels.

Then there are the people who need say nothing, who have deliberated over the aero benefits of various 50mm wheels (always clinchers), then proudly post a picture of their bike which shows they are plainly sat right up like Mary 'effing' Poppins and thus permanently acting as an extremely effective air-brake.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    fearby wrote:
    I Hate the way Americans say they "snagged" something when they just bought it online - and probably paid shedloads for it.

Even worse for bought - 'pulled the trigger on'.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Its like "Her Indoors" or "The Little Mrs". Partridge-speak at its very best.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Asking the hive mind......

You don't need to ask the hive mind. It's a bloomin discussion forum. You post a question and people answer it. Just because you 'ask the hive mind' doesn't mean you'll get any better a response. Just ask the bloody question.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    Way back when.."Racing iron" was the crap phrase often used!
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    andi1363 wrote:
    Way back when.."Racing iron" was the crap phrase often used!

Az tha sin iz new push iron?
    tick - tick - tick
  • mfin
    A bit rarer this one, but whose that read a book or article that contains a new phrase then adopt and then immediately start using the newly heard phrase themselves.

'Paniagua' suddenly was used after Hamilton's book (?), and the last one I remember was 'High/Low-Octane' doping from Lance.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    May as well add the use of 'Chapeau' to the list or indeed any other substitution for French words where the user thinks it makes them appear in the know on a subject.
  • mfin
    May as well add the use of 'Chapeau' to the list or indeed any other substitution for French words where the user thinks it makes them appear in the know on a subject.

Definitely, I'd even add using 'palmares' to that too, 'list of achievements' or 'wins' will do.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Calling your water bottle a "Bidet" (or whatever).
    Pretentious tosspots the lot of you!