Upgrading 8 speed 2300 to 10 speed - Where do I start ??

2»

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    NewTTer wrote:
    chrisgal wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about it I don't think anyone else took it as sarcasm apart from the poster.
    Not really your place to comment is it
    It's everyone's place to comment - that's why it's called a forum ...

but as this is detracting from the original topic why don't we just forget about it and carry on?
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Because it is pretty amazing, just over an hour to change an entire groupset is the speed you would expect from a pro mechanic with all the exact tools just to hand.
    Its a bicycle not a Saturn V rocket
    Chain breaker remove old chain
    Fit RD 1 bolt to remove old, 1 both to pit on new
    Fit FD as above
    Fit front brake as above
    Fit rear brake as above
    2 undoes with crank puller to remove old chainset
    Bottom bracket 2 undoes one either side to remove old, then 2 to fit new
    Depending on chainset assume Shimano HT, 2 allen screws and shimano preload bolt
    Fit new chain
    Strip off bar tape
    2 bolt undoes for STI removal
    2 bolt tightens to fit new STI's
    Cable up with new inners and outers
    Adjust Gears and brakes
    Re do Bar tape.
  • NewTTer
    Slowbike wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:
    chrisgal wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about it I don't think anyone else took it as sarcasm apart from the poster.

but as this is detracting from the original topic why don't we just forget about it and carry on?
    So practice what you preach
  • NewTTer
    OP if you get stuck give me a shout, I will help out if I can
  • slowbike
    NewTTer wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:
    chrisgal wrote:

So so touchy ...
  • chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    Slowbike wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:
    chrisgal wrote:

So so touchy ...

lol…….prozac anyone????
  • NewTTer
    Chrisgal and Slowbike a little bit of advice;
    Better to just let people THINK you are a useless pair of clowns, rather than keep making posts on a public forum and dispelling all myth!
  • slowbike
    NewTTer wrote:
    Better to just let people THINK you are a useless pair of clowns, rather than keep making posts on a public forum and dispelling all myth!
    You better stop then ....
  • chrisgal
    Slowbike wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:

…….another keyboard warrior that needs to relax :shock:
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    Lots of people offering help, which is good to see, if I pop down to Essex will someone fit a new groupset with me as it'll be my first time...?

I can bring beer and a selection of illegal drugs - but they're probably best consumed afterwards.

8)
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585

I can bring beer and a selection of illegal drugs - but they're probably best consumed afterwards.
    Is that what happens to all the gear you confiscate from scallywags?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,042
    fatsmoker wrote:

Is that what happens to all the gear you confiscate from scallywags?

Yay, some action.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    chrisgal wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:

I think you two need to get off @NewTTer's back. It can only be jealousy that makes you post like this????

NewTTer, don't take this stuff man, give as good as you get.
  • chrisgal
    nathancom wrote:
    chrisgal wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:

I think you two need to get off @NewTTer's back. It can only be jealousy that makes you post like this????

I thought common manners was the issue but there you go jealousy it is then. :?
  • NewTTer
    nathancom wrote:
    chrisgal wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:

But ask yourself are these sort of idiots really worth it?, no not really and everyone can see what wasters they are, as you have
  • slowbike
    Oh do carry on with the personal insults.

It's not like you have a history of doing that at all.

Your fuse must be extremely short - do you get angry whilst riding too?

I just suggested to you that Chrisgal has a right to comment despite your protest and all of a sudden I am the waster?

I had thought you'd seen sense and dropped it - but obviously you've less sense than I had credited you with. Ohbwepl - no helping some ppl.
  • NewTTer
    Slowbike wrote:
    Oh do carry on with the personal insults.

It's not like you have a history of doing that at all.

Your fuse must be extremely short - do you get angry whilst riding too?

I just suggested to you that Chrisgal has a right to comment despite your protest and all of a sudden I am the waster?

I had thought you'd seen sense and dropped it - but obviously you've less sense than I had credited you with. Ohbwepl - no helping some ppl.
    Yawn
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
    You all chill out and go back to the topic if there is anything to add for the benefit of the OP...
    The "trolls" stop trolling and mr "My Nemesis" stop insulting other users
    left the forum March 2023
  • I found a groupset on Ribble really cheap. Depends how much you want to spend?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    NewTTer wrote:
    Fit FD as above
    Fit front brake as above
    Fit rear brake as above
    Depending on chainset assume Shimano HT, 2 allen screws and shimano preload bolt
    Fit new chain
    Strip off bar tape
    Adjust Gears and brakes
    Re do Bar tape.

To be fair, it's quite clear that you've never actually swapped a complete groupset before if you think that is the list of tasks.

Using your post as a template let me give an accurate version

Unpack everything in the kitchen
    Watch small important part ping off under the fridge
    Move fridge, get shouted at by wife, clean everything around fridge, order replacement small pinging part

Look for chain breaker, order new chain breaker, find old chain breaker, cancel order for new new chain breaker
    Lift old chain from new trainers that were white, put to one side
    Fit RD 1 bolt to remove old, put to one side
    Look for extender bar cursing forgetting to use copper slip the last time.
    1 bolt to put on new
    Remove RD, copper slip bolt, re-fit. Feel smug
    Stop feeling smug, wash hands remember to put on gloves...

Fit FD as above
    Wonder why it is so hard to remember to remove the cable from the FD...
    Put to one side
    Remove FD, wrap tape around frame to protect
    Remove FD, use copper slip.
    Fit FD, fit cable.
    Remove cable... brake levers... swear several times

Fit front brake as above
    Fit rear brake as above
    Remove front brake, realise it is rear.
    Agonise for 30 minutes wondering why....

Order cheap BB removal tool thinking the expensive park tools option is a waste
    Remove new BB, Fit large poster on wall saying: COPPER SLIP
    Fit new BB
    Look at preload bolt. Look at tools. Look online at park tools BB removal tool. Swear. Order tool
    Wonder what the weird shaped bit of plastic on crank is for, conclude it's packing material and dispose
    Fit chainset
    Remove chainset, re-fit with cranks OPPOSITE each other...
    Remove chainset, burn new poster
    Fit chainset
    Empty bin looking for essential spacer
    Fit new chain
    Lie chain on big ring, feed chain through cassette, lie chain on big ring, lie chain on big ring, liegoddamnflamingchainthatwillnotsitsoddingstill on big ri....
    Strip off bar tape
    put to one side
    Fit new STIs... agonise for 30 minutes wondering if they are aligned properly, adjust at least 10 times, cursing not doing one at time.
    Look at cables. Look at STI levers. Look at cables. Spend 5 minutes poking cables into various parts of the levers to see if this is where they come out. Replace split cables.
    Swap brake and gear cables, hoping no-one noticed

Lie chain on big ring, feed chain one handed through cassette and RD. Link chain and happily spin. Wonder what noise from RD is. Break chain and fit UNDER RD guide

Adjust Gears and brakes
    Set gears PERFECTLY, feel smug. Run RD through entire travel. Extract chain from gap between cassette and frame. Reset limiter screw. No gears work. Use barrel adjuster, work out how to refit barrel adjuster. Rentension cable, then use barrel adjuster
    Re do Bar tape
    Wrap bar tape, notice gap, unwrap bar tape, wrap bar tape, have gap noticed by someone else, unwrap bar tape, wrap bar tape. Look at odd length of bar tape. Look at instructions, unwrap bar tape. Fit length of tape to levers. Wrap bar tape. Unwrap bar tape. Tape cables to bar in correct position and wrap bar tape

Fit pedals
    Remove pedals from old chainset wishing you had done so when it was on the bike
    Remember copper slip without prompting
    Take bike for test ride. No gears work. Attempt to adjust gears, all index perfectly. Having done nothing take bike for test ride, all gears work.

Look at floor of garage and realise that 'one side' was the entire garage floor and it is now covered in small dirty bike parts. Some of which will never be found....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pinno
    Spot on Keiran. +++1
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,925
    NewTTer wrote:
    Fit FD as above
    Fit front brake as above
    Fit rear brake as above
    Fit new chain
    Strip off bar tape
    Adjust Gears and brakes
    Re do Bar tape.

To be fair, it's quite clear that you've never actually swapped a complete groupset before if you think that is the list of tasks.

Using your post as a template let me give an accurate version

Unpack everything in the kitchen
    Watch small important part ping off under the fridge
    Move fridge, get shouted at by wife, clean everything around fridge, order replacement small pinging part

Look for chain breaker, order new chain breaker, find old chain breaker, cancel order for new new chain breaker
    Lift old chain from new trainers that were white, put to one side
    Fit RD 1 bolt to remove old, put to one side
    Look for extender bar cursing forgetting to use copper slip the last time.
    1 bolt to put on new
    Remove RD, copper slip bolt, re-fit. Feel smug
    Stop feeling smug, wash hands remember to put on gloves...

Fit FD as above
    Wonder why it is so hard to remember to remove the cable from the FD...
    Put to one side
    Remove FD, wrap tape around frame to protect
    Remove FD, use copper slip.
    Fit FD, fit cable.
    Remove cable... brake levers... swear several times

Fit front brake as above
    Fit rear brake as above
    Remove front brake, realise it is rear.
    Agonise for 30 minutes wondering why....

Order cheap BB removal tool thinking the expensive park tools option is a waste
    Remove new BB, Fit large poster on wall saying: COPPER SLIP
    Fit new BB
    Look at preload bolt. Look at tools. Look online at park tools BB removal tool. Swear. Order tool
    Wonder what the weird shaped bit of plastic on crank is for, conclude it's packing material and dispose
    Fit chainset
    Remove chainset, re-fit with cranks OPPOSITE each other...
    Remove chainset, burn new poster
    Fit chainset
    Empty bin looking for essential spacer
    Fit new chain
    Lie chain on big ring, feed chain through cassette, lie chain on big ring, lie chain on big ring, liegoddamnflamingchainthatwillnotsitsoddingstill on big ri....
    Strip off bar tape
    put to one side
    Fit new STIs... agonise for 30 minutes wondering if they are aligned properly, adjust at least 10 times, cursing not doing one at time.
    Look at cables. Look at STI levers. Look at cables. Spend 5 minutes poking cables into various parts of the levers to see if this is where they come out. Replace split cables.
    Swap brake and gear cables, hoping no-one noticed

Lie chain on big ring, feed chain one handed through cassette and RD. Link chain and happily spin. Wonder what noise from RD is. Break chain and fit UNDER RD guide

Adjust Gears and brakes
    Set gears PERFECTLY, feel smug. Run RD through entire travel. Extract chain from gap between cassette and frame. Reset limiter screw. No gears work. Use barrel adjuster, work out how to refit barrel adjuster. Rentension cable, then use barrel adjuster
    Re do Bar tape
    Wrap bar tape, notice gap, unwrap bar tape, wrap bar tape, have gap noticed by someone else, unwrap bar tape, wrap bar tape. Look at odd length of bar tape. Look at instructions, unwrap bar tape. Fit length of tape to levers. Wrap bar tape. Unwrap bar tape. Tape cables to bar in correct position and wrap bar tape

Fit pedals
    Remove pedals from old chainset wishing you had done so when it was on the bike
    Remember copper slip without prompting
    Take bike for test ride. No gears work. Attempt to adjust gears, all index perfectly. Having done nothing take bike for test ride, all gears work.

Look at floor of garage and realise that 'one side' was the entire garage floor and it is now covered in small dirty bike parts. Some of which will never be found....

:lol::lol:
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    To add to Keiran's list (when I'm doing this) measure cable outers, re measure cable outers. Re re measure outers, cut outers. Fit outers, realise that the outers are too short.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Post of the year! Pretty much sums up my experience of bike maintenance too!
  • pinno

Ah but it's all fun. I'd rather be searching for that pinging bit under the fridge and incurring the wrath from the OH than actually pay someone to do it.
  • Kieran_Burns

Ah but it's all fun. I'd rather be searching for that pinging bit under the fridge and incurring the wrath from the OH than actually pay someone to do it.

I found a dead mouse when I went looking, naturally the pinging bit was lodged by its arse.

Apologies for the somewhat fractured original post.. I did kind of rush it and miss some important parts out: such as the cable outers as mentioned, running the cables under the BB while crossing them, then missing the bb guide, fixing the cable when the STIs aren't in the lowest postion, adjusting the brake blocks when you've just greased something, resting your hand on the white saddle after you've just greased something, resting your hands on the white bar tape after you've just greased something.

I've not even mentioned the fun and games over swapping the rear cassette, oh the fun you can have with a chain whip and a seized retaining nut. Not to mention the single step rings that you just know you put in the wrong order, AFTER you do all the rest, and what is this extra black ring for?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • pinno

I found a dead mouse when I went looking, naturally the pinging bit was lodged by its arse.

Apologies for the somewhat...something.

I've not even...ring for?

You got serious street cred from that post, now you're just milking it :wink:
  • Kieran_Burns

Apologies for the somewhat...something.

I've not even...ring for?

You got serious street cred from that post, now you're just milking it :wink:

:lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X