Planet X Fixed TT bike - Update for 2015

umop3pisdn
umop3pisdn Posts: 98
edited September 2015 in Your road bikes
New bike for the 2014 season. Goes nicely, 21:32 in my third race of the season, hoping for sub 21 this year.

p4pb10906735.jpg

Also my venerable Vigorelli (last year's race bike, 21:57 pb) which now serves as a commuter and general mile muncher

p4pb10906726.jpg

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Love it, absolutely fab
    left the forum March 2023
  • That TT rig is wonderful.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    We'll done with the time, loving both bikes !
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    That P/X is one of the top 3 coolest bikes on here - so, so cool. Chapeau.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Great stuff :)

How is the Raltech cover?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • umop3pisdn
    Thanks all for the positive remarks. Love the Raltecs, incredibly well made product.
  • napoleond
    Did you measure up for the covers yourself or just provide wheel details? I'm thinking of getting some for my Powertap/Open pro build. I've had Aerojackets in the past which were pretty good but fancy giving a UK product the go.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • umop3pisdn
    Yeah, measured them myself, as did a club mate who's also got some. I'd have thought they'd have a pretty good idea of the dimensions of a powertap/OP wheel, they must have done quite a few sets for that combo. Mine fit perfectly though, worth spending time getting decent measurements. Easy to fit as well. They're lenticular so should be faster than most cheap discs, which are normally flat sided. Wins all round.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    t's a great bike... second to none in terms of aerodynamics at a small fraction of the cost... it's how it should be done in the amateur TT scene... too much money around
    left the forum March 2023
  • napoleond
    umop3pisdn wrote:
    Yeah, measured them myself, as did a club mate who's also got some. I'd have thought they'd have a pretty good idea of the dimensions of a powertap/OP wheel, they must have done quite a few sets for that combo. Mine fit perfectly though, worth spending time getting decent measurements. Easy to fit as well. They're lenticular so should be faster than most cheap discs, which are normally flat sided. Wins all round.

Cheers mate :D
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Out of interest what gearing are you running, or do you vary it depending on the course.
    Lovely bike by the way.
  • umop3pisdn
    Varies by the course, anywhere 51/53x13/14/15 usually. Used 51x13 for the pb.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    go nicely...
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    That is quite a cool looking Planet X- and the now commuter is not bad either!

Always good to see another one riding SS/fixed. It's a great way forward without having to shift all the time!
  • brearley
    brearley Posts: 165
    is there a reason you aren't using the oval forks in the planet x, they're some of the fastest around?
    Otherwise it looks awesome.
  • umop3pisdn
    They're the track version which aren't drilled unfortunately. Not brave enough to risk drilling them, and I think any gain over the Funda would be minimal.
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Lovely looking TT bike.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Beautiful TT bike, colour is stunning!
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    That looks great! Do you still get the disk noise with those covers? This looks like a great way to get a TT rig for not too much money and that's a good time too!
  • umop3pisdn
    No, you don't :(
  • How it looks for 2015, although i've just changed to Speedplays which has reduced the saddle height by about a cm. Targeting a 19 minute 10 for 2015.

fziz2X3.jpg
  • Most likely the V718, but if training carries on as well as it currently is and a few positional changes pay off I might manage that on the F11/10 or F20/10.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Good luck, I could only dream of such a time!
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Love the bike and good luck with achieving the time.....I'd be one happy boy getting anywhere near that.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,570
    Is it race legal to have only the one brake?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Is it race legal to have only the one brake?

Yes, as I have an independent braking mechanism for each wheel. One happens to be my legs.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,570
    Actually no. Not legal for UCI for road events: here's the excerpt from their regulations:

"4.1 Comments on the principles (articles 1.3.006 to 1.3.010)
    The bicycle is a vehicle with two wheels of equal diameter: the front wheel shall be steerable; the rear wheel
    shall be driven.
    The bicycle must be in “working order” with a steering system acting on the steerable wheel and a propulsion
    system acting on the driven wheel by means of a circular movement through a chainset (using a chain)
    comprising one or more chainwheels and two cranks, arranged opposite each other, one as an extension of
    the other, in the same plane. Bicycles used in road events must be fitted with an efficient braking system that
    acts on both wheels (either simultaneously or independently) operated by two brake levers. The use of a fixed
    gear in competition is prohibited
    The bicycle must be accessible to all participants. It must be marketed (i.e.
    available for sale on the market)..."

Maybe your local club rules don't mind. Still a nifty bike.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Actually no. Not legal for UCI for road events: here's the excerpt from their regulations:

"4.1 Comments on the principles (articles 1.3.006 to 1.3.010)
    The bicycle is a vehicle with two wheels of equal diameter: the front wheel shall be steerable; the rear wheel
    shall be driven.
    The bicycle must be in “working order” with a steering system acting on the steerable wheel and a propulsion
    system acting on the driven wheel by means of a circular movement through a chainset (using a chain)
    comprising one or more chainwheels and two cranks, arranged opposite each other, one as an extension of
    the other, in the same plane. Bicycles used in road events must be fitted with an efficient braking system that
    acts on both wheels (either simultaneously or independently) operated by two brake levers. The use of a fixed
    gear in competition is prohibited
    The bicycle must be accessible to all participants. It must be marketed (i.e.
    available for sale on the market)..."

Maybe your local club rules don't mind. Still a nifty bike.

FIne for CTT events though who run the majority of time trials in the UK, UCI rules don't apply...
  • Actually no. Not legal for UCI for road events: here's the excerpt from their regulations:

Who gives a fuck about the UCI?