my frames too big so how can i improve the fit

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
im 5ft 6 and 31and a half inside leg, my frame is a trek 1.5 54 which ive been riding for 5 yrs now, and most say its to big for me, ive got the seat as far forward as i can although my seatpost is 20mm setback, i seem to be in the middle of the pedal spindle when i drop a plumbline from the bone just below my knee, but still feel my seat needs to be more forward, guess this is cos the top tube is too long, so guess if i change the seat post for one without setback it give me another 20mm to play with then just need to sort the bar distance out, shoudnt be too hard as i have long arms for my body, does this sound about the best ill acieve with the frame too big.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    No kidding, that's my size frame (5'11"). Honestly you need a new frame as any bodging is akin to putting a plaster on a broken leg.

If you really want to bodge then you'd need start with an inline post and very short stem. I really don't advise it as it will never be properly comfortable and will handle like a crack addicted greyhound.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Have you considered buying a smaller frame?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Have to agree smaller frame is the only answer.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Have you considered buying a smaller frame?

maybe a Colnago CLX....
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Imposter wrote:
    Have you considered buying a smaller frame?

maybe a Colnago CLX....

In red and white
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    None of the plumb line chat but Im 5'11 pushing the big 6'0 and all my bikes are 54/55 certainly no bigger.

Smaller is better.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • radiation man
    im supposed to be a 52 frame so i must be able to get it to fit can get the seat as high as i need, shorter stem, but i have long arms and the 1.5 is more sloping geometry
  • Grill
    im supposed to be a 52 frame so i must be able to get it to fit can get the seat as high as i need, shorter stem, but i have long arms and the 1.5 is more sloping geometry

Dude, we've told you what you need to do. Even if you are built like an orangutan you still need a smaller frame. Nowt wrong with a long stem but there's quit a bit wrong with a tiny one.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Radiation Man, you have spent a year plus fixated on a red and white frameset, now narrowed down to the Colnago, why are you even worried about trying to make this frame fit (it really won't)? Get rid of it and buy the red and white bike of your dreams in a size more appropriate? Is this not the answer?
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    We'll I'm 5' 10" and ride a 56cm frame with a 10cm stem, and it fits just fine. So maybe a 54cm frame is ok for some six footers, but not all. If you' ve long arms then a 52cm might well be the best fit for you, who knows. An inline pits might well help - give it a go, it's cheap enough to try. And a basic "bike fit" can be had for £35 so why not get a second opinion. No-one here can really help as they have zero idea of your build.
  • SkyFlyboy
    SkyFlyboy Posts: 24
    Why not take the advice to your other half and say that I need to fix the issue now before I do some damage to myself in order to buy a nice new shiny smaller frame. You could even just buy a frame and swap all the components if they moan about how much it will cost. A bike your not comfortable on and don't like is one you won't ride as often as it could be.
    2013 Focus Izalco Team SL SR EPS
    2012 Pinarello FP Due SR
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    New frame in the correct size. I've done the trying to make a too big frame fit and apart from the aesthetics being completely wrong, it just doesn't work. Bite the bullet and get a new frame.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    Do yourself a favour and just get a new frame. Riding a bike that's too big for you is no fun, so unless you're into self-flagellation, S&M etc just have done with it and move on. You'll be glad you did (I was!).
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    SkyFlyboy wrote:
    Why not take the advice to your other half and say that I need to fix the issue now before I do some damage to myself in order to buy a nice new shiny smaller frame .

This is what I did and will be getting a Bianchi Intenso soon :-).
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    rafletcher wrote:
    We'll I'm 5' 10" and ride a 56cm frame with a 10cm stem, and it fits just fine. So maybe a 54cm frame is ok for some six footers, but not all. If you' ve long arms then a 52cm might well be the best fit for you, who knows. An inline pits might well help - give it a go, it's cheap enough to try. And a basic "bike fit" can be had for £35 so why not get a second opinion. No-one here can really help as they have zero idea of your build.
    I'm the same - 56 frame doesn't have to be for >6'ers - mine is very comfortable .... It depends on the individual... But if the frame is too big then it's too big. If it was marginal then you could play around a little, but too far out you're better off with a smaller frame.
  • radiation man
    in what way will having the bike too big affect me, a 52frame is only 2cm smaller
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It'll affect you by not being able to get it to fit. Clearly. Maybe you need an even shorter top tube. You should never adjust saddle position to account for reach. Ever.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • radiation man
    my saddle is in the correct position i think so all i need is the right size stem is that not right,
  • Grill
    in what way will having the bike too big affect me, a 52frame is only 2cm smaller

Wait- so you admit that both your bikes are too big (54 and 56) and ask for advice, but don't think that 2cm is big difference? Really?

Seriously, do you even want to sort your fit or are just trying to justify your incorrect purchases?

The difference between frame sizes isn't just a chop here and there, the geometry changes accordingly. A smaller frame will have a steeper seat tube and a slacker head tube.
    geo_1series.jpg

This may or may not make sense to you, but would you rather trust a bunch of strangers with millions of miles of experience, or some shop monkey with a vested interest in ditching old stock (keep in mind how this worked out for you the last two times)?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I question why the hell you posted this thread asking for advice if you've made your own mind up that you can struggle on with a too big frame. At this juncture; I'm out. :roll:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The problem with stating frame size is that most frames these days are compact. A C-T 54cm from Ribble may have a different amount slope on the top tube to a Trek for example making a direct comparsion meaningless. Also some manufacturers will give the frame size as the centre of the BB to the top of the seat tube if it were frame with a horizontal top tube. Some manufacturers do not do this. So while the OP needs a smaller frame exactly what size will entirely depend on the brand. So be carful when chosing is all I say.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Grill wrote:

Wait- so you admit that both your bikes are too big (54 and 56) and ask for advice, but don't think that 2cm is big difference? Really?

Seriously, do you even want to sort your fit or are just trying to justify your incorrect purchases?

The difference between frame sizes isn't just a chop here and there, the geometry changes accordingly. A smaller frame will have a steeper seat tube and a slacker head tube.
    geo_1series.jpg

This may or may not make sense to you, but would you rather trust a bunch of strangers with millions of miles of experience, or some shop monkey with a vested interest in ditching old stock (keep in mind how this worked out for you the last two times)?

^ listen to this.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • radiation man
    so to get the right frame size what should i be doing just go by my height and inside leg, and buy the size the manufacturer says
  • curto80
    Go to a decent LBS and get them to fit you properly?
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • radiation man
    i did that before
  • Grill
    Where do you live? I'm sure there must be a shop in proximity that can do a decent fitting.
  • radiation man
    ive checked my size and some bike shops say 54 frame my head is cabbaged now
  • curto80
    Where you based mate?
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • Grill
    ive checked my size and some bike shops say 54 frame my head is cabbaged now

As thecycleclinic mentioned, frame size differs by brand and model. I've been specifically referring to Trek H2 fit, and even then I'd need more info to make a proper recommendation.

So here is what you need to do:
    1. Stop trying to figure this out yourself and don't go into a bike shop
    2. Give us an indication of where you live
    3. We will give you recommendations of shops that know what the hell they're doing
    4. Go to one if these shops and get fitted
    5. Buy a bike in the appropriate size and geometry based upon the information gathered at the fitting
    6. Bin your other bikes
  • curto80
    How have you gone five years with a bike that doesn't fit? What the longest ride you've done on it? Fit is so crucial in cycling if you plan to do any decent length of riding. On the plus side, if you've had it five years it's time for a new bike anyway so follow the above six steps to cycling happiness.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen