Col Openings

2»

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,395
    Col de Joux Plane will probably be closed most of the summer on the Morzine side due to a landslide before the col de Ranfolly. Not sure if it is passable on bike but the cycling events that use the col are being rerouted.

I'm in Samoens now, the Joux Plane is passable by bike all the way into Morzine, but take care right near the top by Ranfolly. You have to go onto the grass for a few feet to get around the closure gates. After that, a few hundred yards later you can see the first of two large holes in the road where it's given way.

Just be sensible...

The upside is that there's no motorised traffic on the Morzine side, and less than usual on the Samoens side, since it's no longer a way to get to Morzine. The cafe at the top is still superb, but quieter than usual.

Has anyone done the Joux Plane to Morzine recently? I will be there (Samoens) next week and it looks like a neat loop if passable. Have heard that it's officially closed but likely to be passable by bike unless workmen stop you.

Secondly any other recommendations from Samoens?

Currently looking at Col du Colombiere (about 110km loop), but can't decide whether to go up the Cluses side or the Grand-Bornand. Grand-Bornand has been in the Tour more times and leaves me with a shorter ride back to Samoens after the climb, but the Cluses side looks much more intense and seems to be the "classic" side (?).

Also Col de la Ramaz looks a reasonable loop from Samoens (~60km).

I'll be there for 6 full days, but won't be able to cycle all day every day as am visiting my parents who are on holiday there. My brother (MTB rider) has said he'll come with me but I'm not sure he understands what he's got himself in for so a few shorter/flatter routes with café stops might be an idea.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599

Currently looking at Col du Colombiere (about 110km loop), but can't decide whether to go up the Cluses side or the Grand-Bornand. Grand-Bornand has been in the Tour more times and leaves me with a shorter ride back to Samoens after the climb, but the Cluses side looks much more intense and seems to be the "classic" side (?).

What is the rest of your 110km loop?
  • bobmcstuff
    https://www.strava.com/routes/3051034

Not a complete loop - involves re-doing the road to and from Cluses but there's not so much I can do about that without making it a lot longer.
  • cc78

Not a complete loop - involves re-doing the road to and from Cluses but there's not so much I can do about that without making it a lot longer.

Personally I would ride the loop part of that route clockwise, ie up the big side of Colombiere, so that you are descending the D12 between St Jean de Sixt and St Pierre en Faucigny. This is a busy road and quite narrow in parts, and it currently has a couple of sections of roadworks with traffic lights. It's steep enough to be a bit of a slog up but with fast-moving traffic it's not particularly enjoyable so better to get it over with quickly as a descent instead.

If you are able to put the bike in the car you could drive from Samoens down to Cluses and then do a (in my view) nicer 100km loop that would include the Col des Aravis and some of the back roads between Megeve and Sallanches; if you have a clear day the views of Mont Blanc from there are awesome. Essentially this route but obviously starting in a different place... https://www.strava.com/activities/356530755
  • bobmcstuff
    Thanks for that - just the kind of advice I need.

I wasn't intending to hire a car myself, but may be able to get a lift down to Cluses as my parents will have a car, although I might have to ride back to Samoens on my own. Failing that I could just man up and ride the route linked as a 137km route from Samoens (essentially the same but with the ride in and out from Samoens, that part of which at least doesn't look too challenging).
  • bobmcstuff
    I've updated that route. Looks a bit intimidating with both those cols!!

My other two currently are https://www.strava.com/routes/3072355 and https://www.strava.com/routes/3073967

Also will probably go up the valley for a short spin or two.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Col de Joux Plane will probably be closed most of the summer on the Morzine side due to a landslide before the col de Ranfolly. Not sure if it is passable on bike but the cycling events that use the col are being rerouted.

i was there yesterday and the locals advised against going up, that and the horrible rain, low clouds with single digit temps. in August :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin

I'm in Samoens now, the Joux Plane is passable by bike all the way into Morzine, but take care right near the top by Ranfolly. You have to go onto the grass for a few feet to get around the closure gates. After that, a few hundred yards later you can see the first of two large holes in the road where it's given way.

Just be sensible...

The upside is that there's no motorised traffic on the Morzine side, and less than usual on the Samoens side, since it's no longer a way to get to Morzine. The cafe at the top is still superb, but quieter than usual.

Has anyone done the Joux Plane to Morzine recently? I will be there (Samoens) next week and it looks like a neat loop if passable. Have heard that it's officially closed but likely to be passable by bike unless workmen stop you.

Also Col de la Ramaz looks a reasonable loop from Samoens (~60km).

I'll be there for 6 full days, but won't be able to cycle all day every day as am visiting my parents who are on holiday there. My brother (MTB rider) has said he'll come with me but I'm not sure he understands what he's got himself in for so a few shorter/flatter routes with café stops might be an idea.

having just come back from 5 very wet cold days there we'd planned the Joux Plane but took local advice and did some lesser know cols instead all of which turned out to be bastard hard 10% avg for 10-16km

we did do a 50 miles loop starting in Morzine which never really got much above 8% and only 5000ft in total, passing by the JP and Ramaz if you wanted to add some extra pain.

legs are knackered now
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin

My other two currently are https://www.strava.com/routes/3072355 and https://www.strava.com/routes/3073967

ram700.jpeg
  • bobmcstuff
    Looks like the weather is going to hopefully be a bit nicer Thursday/Friday/Saturday (then stormy Sunday/Monday), but obviously I'll play it by ear with the weather in the mountains. I'd really like to do Colombiere and Joux Plane though just because they're so famous. I can always just do Joux Plane from Samoens and come back down if needs be, then it'll be quite a short ride as well.

ram700.jpeg

Looks excellent doesn't it :D

Realistically I'll be knackered if I try to do those 3 rides on back to back days, so if there's only a few nice weather days I'll have to pick. Plus I think my parents want me to do something other than cycle at some point.
  • itboffin
    We did this one on Monday morning before heading home, short and very steep with amazing views which almost took my mind of the 10% tarmac

https://www.strava.com/activities/370915720

Col de Bassachaux
    its gets up to 1780m, from 10-16 km its pretty steep

bassa700.jpeg
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I always thought it a shame that you can't get from Bassachaux to Avoriaz by road bike, would really open up the area.
  • itboffin
    I read that it's possible if you're into steeplechase
  • bobmcstuff
    Can report that the joux plane is passable by bike - it's properly barriered by the ski lift at the top but you can shoulder your bike and walk round. The hole in the road is huge, about a metre of road left passable. Be careful on the descent as its barriered quite a bit lower on the Morzine side so there is quite a lot of gravel and cones etc. on the way down.

Was not a good time to realise the brakes on my rental are wired up Euro! Nearly washed out...
  • itboffin
    Seems we choose wisely not to ascend also given the blanket of freezing cloud & rain.
  • bobmcstuff

Personally I would ride the loop part of that route clockwise, ie up the big side of Colombiere, so that you are descending the D12 between St Jean de Sixt and St Pierre en Faucigny. This is a busy road and quite narrow in parts, and it currently has a couple of sections of roadworks with traffic lights. It's steep enough to be a bit of a slog up but with fast-moving traffic it's not particularly enjoyable so better to get it over with quickly as a descent instead.

If you are able to put the bike in the car you could drive from Samoens down to Cluses and then do a (in my view) nicer 100km loop that would include the Col des Aravis and some of the back roads between Megeve and Sallanches; if you have a clear day the views of Mont Blanc from there are awesome. Essentially this route but obviously starting in a different place... https://www.strava.com/activities/356530755

Well, did it today: https://www.strava.com/activities/374937565 139km (including a couple of wrong turns) - thank you for the Aravis suggestion, the view of Mont Blanc as you crest the col is truly breathtaking. Aravis was a reasonably easy climb after Colombiere, partly because I just paced off some old dude and took it reasonably easy. Last 2km of Colombiere was a real bugger, I'd paced myself by HR based on my Joux Plane climb, but Colombiere is 2km longer and the last 2km are pretty tough! Stopped in La Giettaz for a pastry and a bucket of Orangina which was very welcome.

The D1205 back into Cluses was busy, pretty nasty. Ended up doing the bike path for most of it until Magland which was OK. Was convinced I had made a mistake with the route and was about to get dumped on the A40 at the end.

Worst bit by far though was the climb on the link road from Cluses to Taninges on the way back (was OK on the way out since it's mainly a descent as you get most of your elevation on the D4 before you get onto the link road). Slogging up that in 31 degree heat at 5pm with thousands of holidaymakers blasting past was really very unpleasant.

Overall I would probably recommend avoiding the D1205 and the D902 in peak tourist season, but unfortunately that would have ruined my route. It's a shame there isn't an obvious back road link over that shoulder. Looks like you could go up from Balme to Araches and down through Saint Sigismond on the D6 which would avoid the climb out of Cluses, but I don't know what that road's like and the extra climb might have killed me...
  • cc78
    Nice one, great effort