Phones and gels

2»

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Garry H wrote:
    Mini pork pies. They come in their own casing and are bio-degradable.

I like your thinking! Mini pasties too!

Tiny gripe: You see branches of Greggs all the time, but when you're on a big ride, can you find one?!

Plan your rides better :wink:
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Garry H wrote:
    Plan your rides better :wink:

haha yeah! Sod quiet roads and elevation. I'll just type Greggs into google maps and draw lines between them :D
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    Phone, credit card and £20 note in small plastic bag. Never mind gel damage it can get pretty sweaty in a back pocket any time of year.
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    Keep your stuff in Sandwich bags. Then you can put the remnants in the bag and tie the top.

do it with my bananas and gels so pockets dont get messed up.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Gels don't make me sick but they don't seem to do much for me either. Cereal bar is far better IMO.

There you go. Gels aren't food for 90k - they're something for when you need a quick boost. You certainly don't want to be using 3 or 4.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • For longer rides - 100 miles plus - I use a mixture of bars, energy drinks, gels and actual food (sandwiches usually). I take a selection of gels, caffeinated and non caffeinated, and generally end up using four or five, mostly in the final third of the ride, when I'm tiring. I've settled on this approach gradually by trial and error as it seems to work best for me.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    For longer rides - 100 miles plus - I use a mixture of bars, energy drinks, gels and actual food (sandwiches usually). I take a selection of gels, caffeinated and non caffeinated, and generally end up using four or five, mostly in the final third of the ride, when I'm tiring. I've settled on this approach gradually by trial and error as it seems to work best for me.
    I tend to do something similar but without the energy drinks. I use gels toward the end of a long ride if I'm getting very fatigued. Normally no more than 3 or so and only in the last hour. Some of the sportives I've done have tough climbs near the end and I've found that when my legs are feeling really heavy, a gel 10 minutes before the bottom of a climb makes a difference. I never use them training or early in rides.