Phones and gels

jasondxb
jasondxb Posts: 59
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Went out yesterday to complete my longest ride to date, 90k's

Read all the advice of drinking and eating, so went armed with some dates and a couple of gels, just in case. Also decided to take my phone with me, I usually leave it in the car

Set off with everything in the back pockets, used one of the gels about half way round, and instead of throwing it on the floor, I put it back in my pocket

Finished the ride, chuffed to bits as doing the 90k, it was not until I got home, reached round to empty my pockets, to have the phone stick to my hand as it was covered in gel. Now most of the buttons don't work :roll:

Another lesson learnt, take a sandwhich bag to put the empty gel pack in

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Take a sandwich bag to put the phone in, less faff!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Take a sandwich bag to put the phone in, less faff!

This

Also protects your phone if it rains.
  • jasondxb
    jasondxb Posts: 59
    Not much chance of rain for at least the next 6 months, temp at 5am yesterday morning was 28 degrees, by 930 it had reached 44 degrees, but will definitely be using a bag in future
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    You cant be in the UK then...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    jasondxb wrote:
    Not much chance of rain for at least the next 6 months, temp at 5am yesterday morning was 28 degrees, by 930 it had reached 44 degrees, but will definitely be using a bag in future

Pah. I'm glad your phone broke! :-p

How many pockets do you have? My jerseys have 3. A couple have a zipped pocket that I stick money/phone in on top of 3 pockets.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    or roll it up and put it up your short leg.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • With gels, a little sticky goes a long way! And if you spill one down yourself as you open it, which I did recently, it feels horrible as it dries. Try these: Mini drinks bottles for gels. They hold about three or four gels each, depending on the brand, and fit comfortably in your jersey pocket.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/high ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    dilatory wrote:
    jasondxb wrote:

How many pockets do you have? My jerseys have 3. A couple have a zipped pocket that I stick money/phone in on top of 3 pockets.

Putting your phone in a bag will also protect it from sweat which is probably worse for it than rain due to the high salt content.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • stongle
    stongle Posts: 61
    Your phone has buttons? How quaint!
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
    Wet - 2013 Madone 7 Series
    Commuting & general abuse - Boardman AIR9.2s
    Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)
  • sa0u823e wrote:

How did you know he had a short leg ? :lol:

What do you do when you wear biblongs ? :?

Gels and brake levers - a great combination....
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    stongle wrote:
    Your phone has buttons? How quaint!

Yeah from that description it was time for an upgrade 8) :lol:
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I put my gels in my saddle bag yesterday, but I forgot to take them out at the end - oops!

In any case in an idle moment at the cafe I was looking how much energy is in a gel vs a cereal bar, and the latter has about double! So presumably for distance riding - i.e. not racing and attacking, the cereal bar is going to be my better bet, and it doesn't make a mess!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I put my gels in my saddle bag yesterday, but I forgot to take them out at the end - oops!

In any case in an idle moment at the cafe I was looking how much energy is in a gel vs a cereal bar, and the latter has about double! So presumably for distance riding - i.e. not racing and attacking, the cereal bar is going to be my better bet, and it doesn't make a mess!
    Gels are useful for a quick energy boost but it's not a vast amount of energy as you said and because it's simple sugars it spikes your blood sugar shortly after taking it but then chances are you'll feel worse a little while later. I prefer cereal bars and the like until the last 25km or so of a long cycle like a big sportive or I may take a gel a little earlier ahead of a very tough hill if I'm feeling the need, but not early in a cycle.
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    sa0u823e wrote:

44 degrees and bib longs?

Alrighty then :roll:
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • Joeblack wrote:
    sa0u823e wrote:

44 degrees and bib longs?

Alrighty then :roll:

Fahrenheit?
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    dilatory wrote:
    jasondxb wrote:

Putting your phone in a bag will also protect it from sweat which is probably worse for it than rain due to the high salt content.

This and the fact that sweat will start life as "vapour" and more likely to condense inside your phone.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There was a bloke on here telling me off for daring to suggest that sweat would damage a phone. Seeing as i've killed earphones with sweat - I don't see that a pretty tecchy piece of kit would love sweat - hence I always put it in a zip loc.

I'd never thought of the gel issue before - I try not to use them and put them in bin as soon as possible when I do have to use them
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Gosh. So glad this thread turned up. Otherwise I would never have known that both energy gel and sweat are detrimental to phones. We must tell everyone at once!
    Why are there no warnings about this? It's not like it's obvious......oh!
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    With gels, a little sticky goes a long way! And if you spill one down yourself as you open it, which I did recently, it feels horrible as it dries. Try these: Mini drinks bottles for gels. They hold about three or four gels each, depending on the brand, and fit comfortably in your jersey pocket.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/high ... lsrc=aw.ds

I've never seen these before, cool. Do you manage to squeeze all the gel out? Surely they are a bit thick
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • I came across them by chance the day after I'd spilled a gel down one leg of my bib tights, when looking for something else. They work well with most gels. Clif shots and GU are a bit gloopy, but you can add a little water which helps.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you have a gel you'll want to wash it down with water - so why not premix it with water ? Seems to make sense to me ?

A gel is just a really concentrated sports drink after all ?
  • True, but adding water adds volume and weight. I only do it with the thicker ones, which are more like a paste and wouldn't flow properly out of the flask otherwise.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    True, but adding water adds volume and weight. I only do it with the thicker ones, which are more like a paste and wouldn't flow properly out of the flask otherwise.

The bottle you gave a link to is only 120ml to start with. I uses SIS gels and these are 60ml so it will only hold 2 of these at the most (without adding any additional fluid).
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Like I said, most gels are liquid enough not to need extra water, including I think SIS ones. The flasks are small enough that you can take more than one out with you. I usually take one filled with caffeinated gel and one with non caffeinated.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Blimey, 2 pages on gels!

Just put the phone in a sandwich bag in one pocket on the far side and the gels in the other end pocket. This way you wont ever get them mixed together.

Those little bottle things look more hassle then their worth imo.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Phone in a Zip lock bag or a waterproof sailing case or a handlebar mound, i use the quad lock
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    I have a gel in case of an emergency, havnt used it yet. I try to stick to normal food, gels just tend to make me feel a bit sick after a while.
  • markhewitt1978
    Gels don't make me sick but they don't seem to do much for me either. Cereal bar is far better IMO.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Mini pork pies. They come in their own casing and are bio-degradable.
  • markhewitt1978
    Garry H wrote:
    Mini pork pies. They come in their own casing and are bio-degradable.

I like your thinking! Mini pasties too!

Tiny gripe: You see branches of Greggs all the time, but when you're on a big ride, can you find one?!