Who sells tyres unfolded when shipping?

13»

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    rubez wrote:
    Talc powder.

I put it in the tyre, or on the tube?

If you have enough of it fill the tyre with it, no need for inner tubes then.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    edited May 2014
    rubez wrote:
    Talc powder.

Goes between your skin and your gimp suit. Stops it chaffing in those sensitive areas.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    rubez wrote:
    On spinning the wheel there was a big hump in one spot, very noticable and no doubt would be on riding.

Would be like running over something every rotation.

Quite normal on some tyre rim combinations. Had it happen loads of times. The trick is to pump the tyre up to a ridiculous pressure (which isn't always possible with a feeble hand pump or a pump with a poor seal on the valve) and you hear, and see, the tyre snap into the correct position on the rim and the bump disappear (the bump is the only part of the tyre seated correctly.... it's the rest of the tyre that sitting too far down in the well of the rim)..
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    rubez wrote:
    Talc powder.

On the tube! Never get it on the inside of the tyre. Cement dust works better.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Dont forget to cut a long hole in the sidewall of the tyre before you fit them. Makes it much easier to get the tube out.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    rubez wrote:
    Talc powder.

Cement dust is fine for a firm ride, if you want a softer ride I'd stick with the talc.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I find rolling my wheels in my own faeces then adding talc to aid drying is much better than fitting new tyres. I also found it makes for better suspension setup so I binned my forks and now run rigid. If you struggle for quantity dog sit from the local park will do the trick
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    arran77 wrote:
    rubez wrote:
    Talc powder.

Cement dust is fine for a firm ride, if you want a softer ride I'd stick with the talc.

That's so #enduro
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Okay so just caught up with that previous thread, still clueless as to what it acheived but hey-ho.....

I have bought wire-beaded tyres mail order in the past and have had no issues with them, I have a feeling steel being a fairly malleable metal may have something to do with that. Your issues could well be down to your Jedi-like, £150 rigid bike through rockgardens at Steve Peat rivalling speeds being just too much for tyres in this world. Except CST tyres, of course.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    CST make Maxxis. Just saying.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    I can't see that being the case, given I roll Maxxis tyres, otherwise I'd have KOM as my name on strava. Or Rubez, which would indicate other-worldy awesomeness :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Really?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheng_Shin_Rubber
    http://www.csttires.com/int/about-cst/

Maxxis are the premium brand, CST are the not so premium brand. All made by Cheng Shin.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Either send them back for a refund, and get some tyres from a shop where no one will fold the tyres, or . . .

Take the tyre off the wheel
    Carefully examine the bead (the bit on the edge of the tyre where it touches the wheel rim) for kinks, bends, etc.
    If there are any kinks, unkink them. Likewise with bends except you unbend them.
    While you've got it off, check the tyre for any other damage.
    Carefully reinstall the tyre.
    Pump it up a bit. It should be soft enough to do the next bit, and spring back into place.
    Squeeze the tyre side-to-side with your hands, and roll it to one side and then the other so that you can see the rim tape under the tube. We're getting the tube centred here.
    Do this all the way around the tyre.
    Roll the wheel along the floor, leaning down on it just enough that the tyre is a bit squashed. Do this for the whole circumference of the tyre.
    Let a bit of the air out, and then pump it all the way to its maximum pressure. This should be written on the tyre somewhere.
    Bounce it on the floor a couple of times. It's meant to be fun, after all.
    Let it down to the pressure that you want.
    Repeat for the other tyre (you've got two, haven't you?)
    If it still has a bump in it after that sort of faff, it's worth getting an expert to look at it for you.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Repeat for the other tyre (you've got two, haven't you?)

Nah, that just deadens the feel of the bike. You only need a tyre up front, for grip. The rear doesnt need one, better to just use the rims... :wink: