Who sells tyres unfolded when shipping?

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Halfords sell tyres un folded. How far from a functioning society are you? And I mean physically.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    How far from a functioning society are you? And I mean physically.

Lol! Post of the week!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    rubez wrote:
    the folding variation seems to be twice the price :shock:

Par for the course, I'm afraid (Kevlar/Aramid fibre is more expensive than steel wire, plus they tend to be lighter, which automatically means people are willing to pay more :roll: ).
    User error is a possibility, but there is a definite visible deformity in the tyres, and after repeated attempts to install the tyre, the outcome is the exact same. So, that is unlikely.

It's still more likely than that twisting the tyre is going to permanently deform it. When properly seated the wire bead will be forced into the beadhook of the rim, no matter how wobbly it starts out. Use some soapy water on the bead of the tyre and the rim and then inflate to about 60psi - you'll probably hear a couple of pops as the bead slips into position - leave it like that overnight and then deflate down to working pressure before riding. If it's still wobbly after that then it's either that your rims need truing or the tyre carcass is malformed (which has not been caused by twisting in transit).
  • Who is this rubez guy he is no mere mortal but a knowledge god of untrue facts and unrealistic situations?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Halfords sell tyres un folded. How far from a functioning society are you? And I mean physically.

Doesn't matter. He said delivered so any post that infers that tyre is not delivered is not as question asked so is dismissed.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You're a genius. Something that is no problem to thousands of people causes you major problems.
    Just get back to your usual hobby licking windows.
  • rubez
    rubez Posts: 323
    You go back to licking balls, friend.

We will see if the problem is fixed when I try the new tyres, which are en route.

Wheels looks true, haven't been used on the road yet. Mavic rims, handbuilt by Merlincycles.
  • Chunkers1980
    That's if that was the problem in the first place.
  • rubez
    Most likely the tyres are the problem, especially since they are the only thing with a perceptible deformity. Everything else looks good.
  • Angus Young
    That's if there was a problem in the first place.
  • Chunkers1980
    Was meaning the them coming folded and if it's as bad as you make out or if it could be noticed while actually riding or causing any problem whatsoever.
  • rubez
    On spinning the wheel there was a big hump in one spot, very noticable and no doubt would be on riding.

Would be like running over something every rotation.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You won't notice it with suspension to soak it up.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    A much better effort Rubez. Back to form I see. Keep it up.

By the way, I am starting to thing that Rubez is one of the mods having a laugh.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Post a picture of your tyre Rubez?

and I'll have the tyres for free when you eventually decide they're inferior and permanently deformed, rather like yourself
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To be fair, it is possible for a small kink to appear in the bead when they are folded, this can usually be fixed with your fingers pulling either side and thumbs on the kink, the tyre coming out egged is less likely to be due to the folding but more likely to be misfit ting or an inherent tyre problem.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    raldat wrote:
    By the way, I am starting to thing that Rubez is one of the mods having a laugh.

It would explain the lack of warnings/ locked threads... but that would mean they are breaking the forum rules.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    raldat wrote:

It would explain the lack of warnings/ locked threads... but that would mean they are breaking the forum rules.
    Nope.
    And as no one has reported it why should anyone look?

Can't mod stupidity.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Angus Young
    raldat wrote:

His posts do seem rather well punctuated for someone who seems to be struggling with the most basic things in life. Might, perhaps, suggest someone who's written for bike magazines in the past...
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Lock the threads? I hope your joking this stuff is gold.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    nicklouse wrote:
    Can't mod stupidity.
    Plus adds some humour and WTF to our normally dull and dreary lives.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    Yeah I dont want his threads locked! Just thought that they might have been.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    nicklouse wrote:
    raldat wrote:

Nope.
    And as no one has reported it why should anyone look?

Can't mod stupidity.

You'd need to quadruple your number of moderators if you did.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    rubez wrote:
    Most likely the tyres are the problem, especially since they are the only thing with a perceptible deformity.

Except perhaps for your brain?...
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    What you need to do is find somewhere that will sell them to you with inner tubes inside the tyre already inflated, that way there is no risk of damage to the tyre.

Ideally, have the shop fill the tubes with helium to save on postage costs.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I did get some rigid tyres on folded by post once but for the life of me I'm not sure who it was..... (I normally shop with wiggle, crc, on one, spa cycles or merlin) not very helpful but least you know that it is possible.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Lancew wrote:
    RUBEZ IS BACK!

You should get on your super strong rigid MTB and ride those 70 miles, making sure you take all the rocks you can for extra manliness points.

For those of you that haven't experienced Rubez yet, he will ask an illogical question and berate you for answering with a logical answer.

Case in point.
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12959817

I've just spent the last 20mins reading through that thread in work. Absolute gold. Surely a WUM.

That was amazing! Best thing I've read in ages! Just amazing...
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    arran77 wrote:
    What you need to do is find somewhere that will sell them to you with inner tubes inside the tyre already inflated, that way there is no risk of damage to the tyre.

:)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    arran77 wrote:

:)

Just been searching for the 'LIKE' button...
    :D:D:D
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • rubez
    Talc powder.

I put it in the tyre, or on the tube?