Difference in leg length after Bicycle fall/crash

Varrock19
Varrock19 Posts: 3
After a year after my cycling accident in which I fell off my bike while sprinting, I still walk with the feeling that one leg (my right) is longer than my left leg, making me limp whilst walking. Does anyone here know what might be the cause of my problem? I fell down my left side incurring lacerations to my left arm, left hip and left knee. Any suggestions would be grateful thank you. Also when I sit down for long periods of time my left glute gets numb, also making me believe there is a problem with my hips/pelvis, perhaps from the fall on impact, causing my left hip to sit lower than my right.

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I would have thought that a referral to an orthopaedic consultant might be the way to go here rather than the advice of a bunch of random strangers :-)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I would have thought that a referral to an orthopaedic consultant might be the way to go here rather than the advice of a bunch of random strangers :-)

As above. Alternatively, a visit to a good sports physio, or even an osteopath might be the first thing to do.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Mikey23 wrote:
    +1

I'd start with a good physio and ignore advice from the likes of me!
    It's quite possible the problem isn't even directly due to the crash but rather that you developed asymmetry while protecting your injury as you recovered. I did something similar years ago when I got a minor back injury. I developed some postural anomalies that remained long after the original injury had healed. It was a few years later that I eventually went to a physio for something else and they spotted this. There was no structural problems just a legacy muscle imbalance. It took some strengthening exercises to get the right muscles doing the right jobs and then my posture gradually sorted itself out.

With luck, your issue may be something similar, after all your legs didn't change length. However you'll need someone competent to assess you, not us!
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    What's wrong with being checked out by random strangers? There are quite a few apps for that?

XD
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    I would agree go to a good physio/osteopath. One that has good biomechanics background initially..

I broke my leg and was really struggling with walking afterward the break had healed fully. I had a few visits over a 3-6 month period, which ironed out all my issues. I also found a good sports massage/deep tissue helped with my lower back, basically a number of my muscles had tightened up as I was walking to protect the leg and had caused me to be imbalanced.

I still occasionally go back when I get issues and a quick visit seems to get me back on track.

Good luck with sorting it out.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    I had quite a bad injury which required a bone graft from my thigh to my hip, I spent a long time limping - before and after the op.

I had a similar problem, turns out I had forgotten how to walk properly, or my body did and was used to compensating for my mong side. Lots of exercise and walking towards a mirror whilst a physio touched my semi-naked body finally cured it (well almost, my left foot still points outwards but I no longer limp).

Not sure why the physio insisted I only wear a pair of skimpy shorts, perk of the job I guess. :oops:
  • marcg868
    marcg868 Posts: 116
    Not to Alarm you but I work on a orthopaedic ward, a patient of ours slipped and dislocated her hip replacement, the dislocated leg was significantly shorter than her other. Get to A&E asap if you haven't already. You may need a manipulation under anaesthetic to put it back in.
  • Varrock19
    Varrock19 Posts: 3
    Thanks Guys! I have a biomechanical assessment in a couple of days time, so I'll inform you lot about how it goes! :)
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    and how did it go?