Anyone using a Wahoo Kickr?

Bar Shaker
Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
Have been looking at something to start rehab, once I can weight bear on my broken leg.

I'm looking for something a bit more scientific than a turbo and like the look of the connectivity of the Wahoo Kickr. Resistance changing to suit programme sections looks really good and would let me taylor it to suit my, initially, gentle requirements. The video programmes look like they will take the boredom out of it too.

What's the real world feedback on these?

Edit to use proper device name
Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
Boardman FS Pro

Comments

• BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I asssume you mean a Wahoo Kickr. If you do then I do and used it throughout the winter.

Although I'd never want to compare my current ankle injury to your broken leg. I knackered my ankle a couple of weeks ago and am currently unable to ride outside. My biggest problem is the inability to unclip my foot from the pedal and the amount of force I'm able to put onto the pedal is limited (meaning I doubt I could pedal up a big hill).

Over Winter I used to use a program called Virtual Trainer to follow routes. They do videos or you can simply follow progress on a map. I really enjoyed this.

Most of my time is spent though using a iPad app called iMobileInterval (IMI). Via a website I program the type of workout I want to do. This can be done by specifying a specific number of watts or a percentage of FTP. The iPad then adjusts the Kickr accordingly.

I've been using IMI this past week to help with my re-recuperation. I'm starting by programming shorter low power sessions and will look to increase both until I feel I'm able to go outside.

The thing I like about the Kickr is once you're going, say at a power of 220w, it doesn't matter what gear you select on your bike or what cadence you spin, the Kickr will automatically adjust so you are always generating 220w. I'm therefore keeping the cadence up at the moment so the force on my ankle is lower.

The Kickr does have other modes but I don't tend to use these.

DC Rainmaker did a great review, if you've not seen it I'd recommend searching the web for it.

I love mine.

Good luck with your recuperation.
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    The kickr is a great buy. I have it and use it with trainerroad. I'm following a number of training plans from TR and have improved a lot. In fact I'm off now to do a 90 minute endurance session.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    It looks ideal just mega expensive! You can get a very good winter bike and winter kit for the price!
  • BrandonA
    It looks ideal just mega expensive! You can get a very good winter bike and winter kit for the price!

It is expensive but I think it was definitely worth the money and I don't regret getting one. I rode outside maybe 5 times between Oct-Mar this past winter. I'd far rather put in some quality structured training than getting soaked and frozen outside in the dark.
  • It is mega expensive - £949 is not cheap by anyone's standards.
    However the build quality seems robust and there will always be a market for them.
    I had a Concept2 rower for about 5 years and used it extensively. I then got about 55% of the price back again when I got a bit bored with rowing. If and when I 'invest' in a KIckr I will be costing it on the same basis
  • Bar Shaker
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I've decided to get one. I need to wait a few weeks as I can't weight bear until mid June and it will sit there and taunt me if I buy it today.

What do I need to buy with it? I have and iPhone 5S, iPad 2 and iPad mini so can connect up ok, I think. I would want cadence and HR and would want to run the apps with videos of rides for fun and an app for serious and planned rehab.

I will have a lot of muscle waste by mid June so will be starting from a very low fitness point and I am planning on using the trainer for several hours a day, every day, until fit again.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Full review here : http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/03/fitn ... eview.html

Is it not just a slightly different turbo ?

I'd definitely go with trainerroad - but just look at their list of turbos to see which work for virtual power.
  • BrandonA
    The Kickr can be controlled via Bluetooth 4 or Ant+.

Your iPad 2 is not Bluetooth 4 compatible so you'd need an Ant+ dongle to get this to work.

Your iPhone 5 is Bluetooth 4 compliant so it would work.

The kickr computes speed itself so you need a cadence sensor (remember there is no rear wheel to record distance). This could be either Bluetooth 4 or Ant depending on the capabilities of your controlling/recording device.

HRM is optional.

Personally I've always had the Garmin Ant++ speed/cadence sensor and their HRM. I record my workouts to the Garmin and upload these to various places.

I control the Kickr by my iPad Air (which is Bluetooth 4) and I bought a bluetooth speed/cadence sensor so these were displayed to the iPad.
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    cougie wrote:
    Full review here : http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/03/fitn ... eview.html

Is it not just a slightly different turbo ?

I'd definitely go with trainerroad - but just look at their list of turbos to see which work for virtual power.

The problem with virtual power is, it's virtual.....

The kickr allows you to use Erg mode which fixes the resistance at the desired wattage so you can't deviate.

They are not cheat and as a result not aimed at everybody but they are far better than a standard trainer.
  • Bar Shaker
    The way that the Kickr uses an accurate power meter to control resistance is what really appeals to me. How apps can change the resistance to suit varying power outputs or gradient changes during ride scenarios is way better than anything else I have seen.

It looks like VR for cycle training.

I have a Garmin ANT+ cadence sensor so may buy an ANT+ adaptor for my ipad2 rather a new Bluetooth sensor for my iPad Mini or phone. Does it need to be the same make as the sensor or do they all work with each other?
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    I've had issues with the Bluetooth on my Mac dropping out and I understand from the team at Trainerroad the ANT is better. So you need an Garmin ANT dongle and a PC, I use two PC's, one for Netflix and another with Trainerroad. A few Sufferfest videos (the ones supported by TR) will really be the icing on the cake. I really feel trainerroad as part of the setup is a must. I discontinued my Strava premium membership to cover the cost.

I always had issues with consistency, some weeks getting out for 4 rides, the next week one. The Wahoo has been a great investment that has enabled me to work 12 hr days, spend time with the family and still get 4 structured spins in a week whatever the weather.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    What do I need to buy with it? I have and iPhone 5S, iPad 2 and iPad mini so can connect up ok, I think. I would want cadence and HR and would want to run the apps with videos of rides for fun and an app for serious and planned rehab.

I've had mine about a month now and even though it's summer it's getting a lot of use. For me this a big plus as my previous exercise bike got hammered in the winter, but ignored in the summer. The VR aspect makes turbo training (sort of fun). During the week I maybe go for a real ride one evening, or possibly two if its really nice. But mostly after work it's too much faff to get all sorted. Strippiing to my boxers and jumping on the turbo is way easier :shock:

I'm finding I'm staying on it longer too. Even in the winter I could never do much more than an hour before I died of boredom. With the Kickr + VR I'm doing 1.5 to 2 hours most nights I'm not outside.

To your question - I don't think you need to buy anything else over and above what you already have, other than a HR strap. It will work with your iPad mini (which is what I use) I cobbled together a clamp on a stand so the iPad sits in front of me. But a shelf in reach, or a desk/table would do. For cadence I'd get something that is compatible with your usual bike computer e.g. garmin, as once you see the cadence data i bet you'll want it out and about as well.

Based on a post on this forum I downloaded the cycleops Virtual trainer app last night, and this has replaced the KinoMap app I was using before. That and the native wahoo ap should be all you need.
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    One of the best cycling investments I've ever made!

DCRainmaker covers everything you need to know. For me it is the sheer relentlessness of the resistance that makes it so effective. There's no soft tapping on it as it'll just crank up the resistance, so every second on the trainer is effectively used.

Combine it with Trainerroad and it makes it the perfect training tool [albeit a very painful one!].
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • foggybike
    foggybike Posts: 160
    Another thread on it here:

viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12961241&p=18775291#p18775291

See my reply to thread for my thoughts.