Race Tyres

2»

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've not raced, but can share some experiences with different tyres. GP4000S and Pro4 Service Course both very good tyres, good grip and durability.

Vittoria Open Pave, a much nicer tyre to ride on, loads of grip but more fragile. One of mine cut up within a handful of rides.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I'll also throw my vote in for the Pro4. Loved the Pro3 and the 4 seems to be tougher without losing grip.

Re Vittoria's cutting up I've got to say I found last year's tyres cut up a lot more than the new compound and clinchers a lot more than tubs. I would say that in my experience the GP4000S is at least as tough as the Pave clincher though.
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    Vredestien TriComp
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    got some open corsa sc's on the race wheels, they go very well all weathers, as i found out earlier this week when i got drenched. roll better than my gp4000s tyres (though aren't quite as grippy) and are seemingly like other cotton vittoria's, there is very good feel, though they are prone to cuts.
    its widely documented that the open corsa cx is a dogs dinner in the wet, though in the dry they are pretty good, i guess Pross must have been lucky or as they say the compound on his is the same as the SC (isogrip).

either way as a dry weather tyre, the cotton vittoria's are pretty damn good.

also a vote for GP force and attack, they roll very nicely.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    okgo wrote:
    I have 3 bikes, and race two of them, and on English roads. I get through lots of tyres - I've been riding for 4 or so years I didn't start racing the day I got a road bike. Off the top of my head I think I've used 9 different types of tyre since I started riding and that includes training and commuting tyres - Including the two I've given a opinion on above so I think I'm qualified to comment.

Do tyres wear out quicker if you've got more bikes?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    No, but it means I ride more varieties of tyre, what is good for TT is not good for commuting, and what is good for road racing is different to TT and commuting, so its a variety that I try due to having more than one bike. If I only had one bike I'd have to have very sturdy tyres to cope with the commuting. Added to that the fact that the tyres I would run on the TT bike wear very quickly, yes I do go through more tyres because I have more bikes.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com