Cycling with burst disks

conor_lynch
conor_lynch Posts: 6
Hi All,
I've recently decided to get back into cycling after being out for the past year. I've got 2 burst disks (L4 & L5) which made me give the cycling a rest. I've had all the scans and have been told they're beyond repair and now it's a case of managing it. On the plus side I've been given the all clear by the doc to get back out on the road.
I'm wondering is there anyone here who has experienced this type of injury and would know more on how best to manage it (cycling position etc) or would know what I could expect long term. I'm not looking for medical advice here but I'd be very interested in hearing other people's experience. I've had all the professional advice but I'm still a bit daunted wondering if I'm making the right decision to get back in the saddle. After all, I think it was the cycling that caused it as I was helped off the bike a couple of times still in that hunched over position.

I'm not a heavy person by no means. I'm 33, 175 cm and currently 72kg which is the heaviest I've been in a while, 68kg would be my normal weight. I used to be handy enough on the bike, never raced but a competent club cyclist. In 2012 I covered over 10,000 km and I used to average 28-29 kph (17.5 - 18 MPH) over 120km (75 mile) solo ride over rolling hills.

On another topic I've decided to treat myself to new wheels. I have just one set, Mavic Ksyrium Elites which have done around 25,000km and are still running true. A great set and they'll remain in use until the break pads go through the rims. Any suggestions on a comfortable fast set for up to €1000. I was thinking of Ksyrium SLS but they may too similar to what I already have.
Besides dropping the PSI down to about 50 are there any other ways I can make the ride a bit more comfortable on crappy roads?

Thanks for your time
Conor

Comments

• top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I'm 49yo (time flies) and I've a similar type of injury (bulging discs). Advice from the physio was that while it cannot be cured, it can be managed through a combination of (in my case) weight loss and strengthening of the core. The doctor advised to eat healthily (which I had been). Surgery at this time was advised against.

I was coming off the back of other injuries but I started back just cycling to work the 10km each way every day on a more upright MTB and no a flat bar hybrid commuter. This, a better diet took care of the weight loss (which is still happening). For the core strengthening I started going to clinical pilates under the instruction of the physio but now go to 'normal' pilates classes at the local gym.

In the last 2 weeks I've started back at the gym doing light weights so (for me), things are looking not bad. In addition to the 100km work cycling I do each week, I get out cycling at weekends and evenings on a road bike and in the last couple of months, a weekly 2 hour track session. I have noticed that when I do 4 sessions of about 35-40km a week, my back does get a bit more 'sensitive' so I simply rest up for a couple of days to let it settle.

So with a bad back, it is entirely possible to keep cycling. I've not made any adjustments to my bike but I didn't have a particularly aggressive position to start with but if you have lost some flexibility, the position on the bike may have to change. I do note that the gym pilates has definitely helped develop my flexibility over the last few weeks and I'm doing things which I never thought I could do again last year when I had my other injuries.

The key I think is to check your bike position, get more flexible (slowly) and listen to what you're body is saying. Unless its your livelihood, I don't see point in making matters worse by refusing to miss a cycle session. Its 6 months since I had my last debilitating attack and while I am sure I'll get another at some time in my life, I don't think waiting around for it is good either. Maybe in 10 years medical science will be able to replace or better repair the damaged discs. :P
  • crannman
    crannman Posts: 99
    hi im 54 three yrs ago i had two opps mini diskectami neck and lower back back on my bike again after a long lay off still get pain but that is expected docs and physo told me to do little but offten see how i go the main prob i have is loss of grip in right hand so while im riding try to move hand alot im upto 20 mile and building all the time
  • Hey Top_Bhoy, thanks for the reply,
    I checked out physio pilates today and it looks like it could be a great idea. My health insurance covers it too so I've no excuse.
    I was advised to strengthen my core also to take the pressure of my disks. time to get that sorted out, I've no six pack :)
  • Hi Crannman, I hope it sorts itself out soon for you.
    I'll keep this thread going with my progress, it may help someone else
  • Thirty years ago I burst two discs and was advised to have surgery. The recovery period was slow and not entirely successful.

In retrospect I think I would have been better off with no surgery.

What I do know is that a few months of core strengthening excercise (Tom Danielsons book) has done more to relieve any back symptoms I have than anything else.
  • HI Littledove44, I'll have to get that book. Strengthening my core will help with so many things let alone my cycling

Thanks
  • I'm 45 now and I ruptured the disk between L4 and L5 around 8 years ago, and then did it again 2 years later. I actually took up cycling as an alternative to rowing, which had caused the damage.

The advice I've lived by is two-fold:

1 - Keep active, but don't persist if it hurts (*)

2 - Do core strenghtening exercises that the physio recomments

(*) I've had to ignore this on the return leg of a few long rides when there have been no alternative forms of transport available!

I started out on a hybrid, as I couldn't hold the drop-bar position for very long, but I soon moved to a "proper" bike once I'd got some miles in my legs and core.

The only differences relative to my cycling for cross-training 20 years ago is that I can't grind up hills or into the wind any more as it aggravates my back, but that's what compacts and 32 teeth rear cogs were invented for! Also, when I get out of the saddle, I always make sure I'm in a "strong" position before unleashing what passes for a burst of power these days.

Good luck and keep spinning!
  • crannman
    crannman Posts: 99
    think every doc i spoke to said some exercise better than none i know when i'v had enough my body tells me

• On another topic I've decided to treat myself to new wheels. I have just one set, Mavic Ksyrium Elites which have done around 25,000km and are still running true. A great set and they'll remain in use until the break pads go through the rims. Any suggestions on a comfortable fast set for up to €1000. I was thinking of Ksyrium SLS but they may too similar to what I already have.
    Besides dropping the PSI down to about 50 are there any other ways I can make the ride a bit more comfortable on crappy roads?

Thanks for your time
    Conor

Hi Conor,

Firstly, huge respect for getting back on the bike. I hope that you can manage your disc problems and get your hit of freedom out on the open road on a regular occurrence once more. In terms of comfort your contact points - handlebars, saddle and seatpost - will be all the more important to help eliminate road vibrations. You could try an extra wrap of handlebar tape and you may find that a carbon handlebar and seatpost can offer a touch more comfort over aluminium. Likewise, you can take a good amount of vibration out of the road through saddle choice. Everyone is different in this area so normally that comes down to personal preference. In terms of wheel setup, you may want to run a slightly wider tyre (25mm or 28mm) which will offer a little more comfort. Try not to go too low on the pressure or you run the risk of pinch puncturing. Sounds like you've had some serious fun on the Ksyrium Elites! ;-)

Ride safe and best of luck.

Mike Cotty
    Mavic Community Manager
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    After 3 years of back and ass pain I took the drastic solution .....a recumbent bike !!!

I took the plunge earlier this year and its serious fun - and seriously comfortable (but seriously expensive) - sure I am not yet confident to go on major roads - but instead of being frustrated about not being able to ride - and can at least whiz round some quiet roads for 45 minutes great fun....

One unexpected upside - is that I can now ride my road bike in less pain and further than any time in 3 years - my theory is that riding the recumbent has improved leg and butt strength which makes things more manageable on the road bike.

I'm not saying rush out and buy one - there are some serious considerations, and you need to do your research - equally if all else fails it has a lot going for it.
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    Sorry to hear about ur back, glad your back on the bike.

i can relate to this alot and the road to recvoery is worth the frustatrion thats for sure.
    in 2006 i slipped my L1 & L2 disc lifting a radaiator that was meant for 2 people, ( young and daft ), as i was self employed at the time i only had 2 weeks of ( no insurance ) and felt ok went back to work , after a month of work and playing football 4 times a week, i was playing 5 aside and felt id been shot, pain was unreal . I had ruptured my L3 & L4 discs . Long story shor i was of work for 2 years, went from 12 stone to 19 stone and felt like crap to say the least.

Docs said football and work was the main cause of my disc problems, i couldnt run and was dertermined to be active. I joined a local gym in 2009 and started to very light weights to build my core strength back up, doing lots of exercise i was taught during physio .i found my leg muscles were in balanced ( as i had drop foot after 2nd rupture ) and my hamstrings needed constant and still do stretching to stop them pulling down on my lower back .i started spinning and really enjoyed it, strated to see results and thought id love a bike again ( hadnt had 1 since teen years ). went in a shop to have a look and walked out with a trek madone. :shock:

as ive progressed over the last 3 years cycling ( and become addiccted ) ,ive found that on a bike like a madone ( sportive ) over longer distance i was getting alot of discomfort , pain and was rather gutted, i spoke to a mate who knows his stuff and he said myb because im sitting more upright its forcing more weight on your lower back, why not try a more racy postion / type of bike to see how i do as this was spreading my body weight better, so i did and tell u, ive never looked back. never once have i felt uncomfortable on my new bike and im doing way more milage, and with constant stretching i still do, leg raises etc, im starting to enjoy mtbing as well without to much pain.

stick in there and im sure it will all work out in the end, slowly build your self up each week, but most of all enjoy it .
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance