wifi strength and training apps

johnnybike
johnnybike Posts: 75
I am considering investing in Wahoo KickR and Trainer Road software. Also Waqoo segments to use Strava segments

My training location will have to be the garage or the conservatory and I think it will have to be the garage because of her indoors (noise, sweat, smell if I use the conservatory). The conservatory is near the wifi router so that is not a problem (~ -60db).
However the garage has poorer reception - ~ 85-90db (using Android wifi analyzer). Ihave tried powerline into teh garage previously with little succes and have no chance of running a wifi extender anywhere nearby

Does anybody train using similar wifi connected s/w in an area of poor reception and would they know what strength signal (db) is required.

I know the Wahoo KickR uses BT to talk to the Ipad but I assume the IPad will need wifi connection for the various software components

Sorry to be a bit vague but I used to do Concept 2 rowing in the garage and used RowpRo for online racing and dropouts were so frustrating and I doint want to invest and have similar problems with cycling

Comments

• Can't you just get on your bike and pedal………………..
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Nowt like drilling walls and running cat 5.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Pringles tube?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • caedev
    caedev Posts: 81
    I had the same problem when training in my garage. I invested in a wifi range extender and it sorted the problem.

http://www.businessdirect.bt.com/produc ... -8S6Q.html
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    TrainerRoad doesn't need a live connection (on a laptop/pc at least). Runs fine with no connection.

Connection is just needed to import any new workouts pre-ride & upload completed (already saved) rides post-ride.

So you can use in the garage with no signal & carry back to house to download/upload (will probably be fine with a weak signal).
    Rich
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    RichA wrote:
    TrainerRoad doesn't need a live connection (on a laptop/pc at least). Runs fine with no connection.

Connection is just needed to import any new workouts pre-ride & upload completed (already saved) rides post-ride.

So you can use in the garage with no signal & carry back to house to download/upload (will probably be fine with a weak signal).

+1
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Thanks chaps - I thought that might be the case but needed to check