Rims way too tight!

2»

Comments

• Quick update if anyone's interested ( the original post was mine). I got some hand built H Son Archetype 23mm width rims matched to Mitche Primato Hubs and Sapim Laser spokes to replace the dodgy wheels that came with the PX bike. Tyres now go on with hand pressure alone and no need for levers at all for fitting. I can also run my 23mm tyres at lower pressure and they're much more forgiving over the bumps too. Technique I think is part of it but bloomin ech proof postive those FSA Vision rims were way too tight!!!!!
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    There are definitely rim/tyre combinations that just don't work. I use road tubeless; on my Felt CXR1 rims (presumably a rebrand of something) I broke three levers getting Hutchinson Intensives on. So I approached fitting the same tyres to my new Stans A340 build with some trepidation, but in fact with a bit of detergent and water they went straight on with no trouble; so easily, in fact, that I was happy to pop them off again when I decided it was important to line the logo up perfectly with the valve stem. The only time I'll ever take the same tyre off the Felt rims is when they are worn out.
  • All Italian rims are slightly over the nominal 622 bead seat diameter. If you insist on buying FSA Vision, Campagnolo or Fulcrum wheels, then you really need to stick with Italian tyres such as Vitoria, Clement or Veloflex.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    surfgod wrote:
    All Italian rims are slightly over the nominal 622 bead seat diameter. If you insist on buying FSA Vision, Campagnolo or Fulcrum wheels, then you really need to stick with Italian tyres such as Vitoria, Clement or Veloflex.

Not had a problem with my Zondas and fitting Michelin Pro4 SC tyres so there must be some variability - unless Michelin have moved there manufacturing to Italy :roll:
  • adlopa
    adlopa Posts: 37
    edited October 2014
    Found this thread after spending several hours wrestling with FSA Team 30 wheels on a Planet X RT-58. It took some time to remove the Conti Ultrasports, but I cannot get some GP4000s on without pinching the tube. I've snapped one high-quality plastic tyre lever and bent three others into uselessness, not to mention broken fingernails and bruised fingers. Lezyne aluminium tyre levers are helping, but they mark the rims — and still pierce the tube at the last bit of bead levering.

Six puncture repairs and three tubes later, I'm about to give up and buy some new wheels, since Planet X aren't interested in sorting this out as a warranty issue:
    This is something that has been brought to our attention and though we understand that some tyres are quite tight, the issue can vary greatly depending on the tyres being used.

We have had returned a few of these wheels from customers reporting the same thing, but after our own and manufacturers inspection the Vision wheels tolerances were found to be within the limits of the industry standards. Vision wheels are set up to ensure the safety of the tire-to-rim coupling in all conditions and avoid the tire slip off while riding; and due to the high variation of tire dimensions (even if with the same nominal size) the wheels are compatible and safe to use with a high number of tyres from various manufacturers.

FSA have also advised that it is recommended to follow some common rules regarding the use of their wheels:
    - use dedicated plastic levers to mount and dismount the tires
    - use good quality levers without sharp edges to prevent tube or tire bead damaging
    - slightly inflate the tube before inserting it into the tire
    - start fitting the tire from valve position

The wheels for this reason are not deemed to be faulty or defective and we are not able to offer an exchange on these wheels.

Anyone ever had a tire slip off the rim..? Thought not.

As others have pointed out, this isn't about technique — these rims are impossible to work with.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    I wonder what the industry standard for bike rims is?

A Google search turns up some ISO standards:

http://www.iso.org/iso/home/store/catalogue_tc/catalogue_tc_browse.htm?commid=47788
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    frisbee wrote:
    I wonder what the industry standard for bike rims is?

A Google search turns up some ISO standards:

http://www.iso.org/iso/home/store/catalogue_tc/catalogue_tc_browse.htm?commid=47788

ETRTO: http://www.etrto.org/page.asp?id=1594
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's not just about the rims. I can't fit my Vittoria Open Corsas to my shallowest rim wheels - they turned out to have a 6mm smaller circumference to my Veloflex tyres. There's an ISO standard for those too but I can imagine Vittoria shrugging that off without much thought!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    It's not even about the model of tyre - individual tyres of the same model vary too.
    Conti GP 4 Seasons are normally fine, but one time I took one off (28mm), which was looseish, and completely failed to get the replacement GP4S on, needing tyre levers (steel) for the first side, and giving the second side best after about half an hour. Eventually I got it onto a spare wheel with the thinnest available rim tape, and left it pumped up to 160 psi (mostly) to stretch for about 8 months before I dared take it out on the road.
  • There is nothing as annoying as a tight fit rim (or tyre)... knocks your confidence and you don't want to ride anymore. When I recommend a rim I generally take that into account, which is the reason I build Archetype rather than Pacenti. With factory wheels of course you have no choice and have to rely on threads like this one to make up your mind. Of course when people throw technique in the mix, everything becomes blurred and confused.
    If you struggle to fit a tyre on a tight rim... stay away from rims (and tyres) with a reputation for being tight. Simples. :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • I got a pair of these wheels supplied with my PX pro carbon. They are very tight there is no denying but I got the supplied ultrasports off and my Schwalbe Durano S on within about 5 minutes (I can usually do it on other wheels within a minute) using a single Pedro's tyre lever. I had to be extra careful not to pinch the tube but I always do a final check both sides of the bead all the way round when the tyre is seated.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Today had the first puncture on my Planet X RT58 and was dreading getting the tyre off after reading this and other threads.

Now I'm no bike mechanic but was surprised and relieved that it was no more difficult than my other wheels - not quite as quick as the above poster but no more than 7-8 mins from start to finish.

I've got Conti GP4000-2 tyres so not sure if that made a difference.