Rear Cassette for the ALPS

2»

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    You can get a fairly cheap SRAM Apex 1050 in 11 or 12 - 32.

Worked fine for me with short cage Ultegra mech.
    exercise.png
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    For me I use compact with 11/25 and its fine in the alps,i am going again this year and will still use that combo
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    For Alpe D'HuZes (6x up The Alpe in a day) I've fitted a 33T ring up front and a 12-30 at the rear on a 10-speed Ultegra Di2 set-up on my Volagi Liscio. I don't thnk I'll need the 30 BUT by the 4th 5th and 6th time up the Alpe, I'll be happy knowing it's there. In fact, it's taken me up a 20-30% climb local to me in the Highlands. It's far too short for most of the Highlands though.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ive seen an ultegra 11-32 but wanted to know everyones thoughts before purchase - thanks to everyone you imput is welcomed
    Ride it like you Stole it !

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1117150/
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    shmooster wrote:

5701 short cage handles up to 30t, 5701 long cage up to 32t. This is from the CRC website and I've used them both successfully (short cage with 30T ultegra, long cage with 32T MTB cassette).

That's good info, cheers.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Rolf F wrote:
    andy_wrx wrote:
    when you see a sign which says 7% for 15km it means 7% for 15km, not the steeper-bit-flatter-bit-steeper-bit-flatter-bit for a mile that we get in the UK.

No, it's an average gradient like anywhere else - the gradient can vary on Alpine passes just as it does here. 7% for 15km means it might be 10% for part of it and 5% for another part of it. Even the 1km markers are averages.
    No Rolf, it does mean 7% for 15km
    That's the point - the sheer length and unvariability of it.

Many of the roads, particularly in the Southern Alps against Italy, were built as military roads for the French Army to drag cannons up.
    They are thus built to very regular gradients, what teams of horses could pull heavy loads up - the go on and on without respite : the only flat bits are if you cut across a hairpin.

In Britain we have few roads like like, except eg Hartside which was built in a similar manner by John MacAdam (of Tarmac fame) for very similar reasons - export of coal and iron ore in horse-drawn wagons
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    It depends on the type of riding you're going to do.

I'm currently riding with 50/34 x 23/11 and quite happily rode up the Brünig Pass this morning as well as a couple of short (1-2 mile) steep climbs over lunchtime last week.

However, if I was planning a long day (5-10 hours) with 3, 4 or 5 or more passes then I'd definitely have a 28 on the back. If you're not used to tapping out the same cadence/power for over an hour without much respite (apart from the occaisional flat hairpin) then it's most likely that you'll be glad of a cog that allows you to spin a little more on 7-10% climbs.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    andy_wrx wrote:
    when you see a sign which says 7% for 15km it means 7% for 15km, not the steeper-bit-flatter-bit-steeper-bit-flatter-bit for a mile that we get in the UK.

No, it's an average gradient like anywhere else - the gradient can vary on Alpine passes just as it does here. 7% for 15km means it might be 10% for part of it and 5% for another part of it. Even the 1km markers are averages.
    No Rolf, it does mean 7% for 15km
    That's the point - the sheer length and unvariability of it.

Well, I've yet to see a gradient profile that had a constant gradient to it. Maybe it is different on the Italian side (though you didn't mention you were talking specifically about that part of the alps). Even the relatively even graded climbs tend to vary by a percentage or two at least and that makes a big difference. I'd like to see an example of a truly constant gradient climb if you've got one.

BTW - Hartside is a good example of the same. The gradient varies continuously from less than 1% to getting on for 6%.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Rolf

I still don't think you need an 11 speed, 50Kph is fast enough for me (50X12 @ 95) and just costing on an Alpine descent will see close to 80 Kph
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    On the other hand, I use my 50x11 quite often on descents in the mountains for example when powering out of hairpins to get back up to speed. If you want to descend quickly, you can't just coast the whole way down.
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    In Britain we have few roads like like, except eg Hartside which was built in a similar manner by John MacAdam (of Tarmac fame) for very similar reasons - export of coal and iron ore in horse-drawn wagons

Assuming this is the Hartside you are talking about it doesn't look very even gradient to me.

f97a9990ac8350ba6eefe382aa8366fb.jpg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    FatTed wrote:
    Rolf

I still don't think you need an 11 speed, 50Kph is fast enough for me (50X12 @ 95) and just costing on an Alpine descent will see close to 80 Kph

Depends a bit. As it happens, I was disappointed with my maximum descent speeds because the climbs were we were are more tortuous than I exepcted and you'd need to know the route well to get the best out of them. I don't think I ever made 50mph. But that probably did mean I made better use of the 11 as it gets you to a top speed that bit more quickly. It's not a need but if you like the idea of breaking personal speed records, it is a mindless nice!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I think this picture might help explain what those of us are saying about gradients being relatively constant in the alps. First picture is a ride into Wales from my front door. The second is a ride in the alps taking in the Joux Plane.

walesgradient.JPG

joux.JPG