down to 3 bikes - please help

2»

Comments

• matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    I have the Cayo Evo 1.0 with full 6800.
    I find it very comfy compared to the 2011 Cayo and my alu Dolan.

I do have archetype handbuilt wheels on 25mm Veloflex rubber, which will certainly help with ride quality.
    My cycling partner had the Domane and loves it.

Don't think you'll go wrong with either

Matt
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I chose the Bianchi Infinito over the Domaine after test riding both and still love riding the Bianchi over 6000 miles later. Based on my test ride I'm sure I would be equally happy riding the Domaine, I just preferred the look of the Bianchi and was tempted by the superb service from Epic cycles in Ludlow. The bikes you are looking at are all decent and providing it fits you and you get it set up right I'm sure you'll live riding whichever you buy.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Dude. Most important thing is for you to get a bike that fits you properly and therefore buy from a place that will give you a bike fit in the price. If I had £3k to spend on a bike with a "relaxed" fit, I'd go to Condor and say that was my budget and what can they do. I wouldn't be bothered necessarily about Carbon (although they could fit you on a Baracchi) - I'd be thinking about the Acciaio (there are threads on this) - it'd fit your enjoyment of "high end" objects. You pay a Condor premium, but get a personalised fit to you (you won't be stuck with "stock" components such as stem length or bar width that don't suit or a saddle you don't like, or even rubber that you need to repalce). But then I'm a Condor fanboy (they'll personalise it in colour for an extra bit of cash). Of course other bike shops will do this for you - when you ask is it £1000 better - the answer is only if you end up buying the right thing for you.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    One of these in a shop local to me and look excellent value and certainly no corners cut just look at the spec.
    http://www.thebicyclelounge.co.uk/focus ... ing-bike-/
    Always gonna pay more for Trek or Spesh and just don't have any wow factor imo. Never had either amongst the dozens of bikes I have had.
    Very light even with stock wheels so if you can negotiate a discount or wheel upgrade you wouldn't need to do anything to it for years .
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    And there's no red on it which is a rarity.
    Think Cervelo S3s are in your price range too with full ultegra 6800.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Galatzo wrote:
    And there's no red on it which is a rarity.
    Think Cervelo S3s are in your price range too with full ultegra 6800.
    An S3 with Ultegra would be circa 3500 I think
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Domane 2.3. Alloy Frame and 105.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • So here is the decision

Specialized Roubaix SL4 base
    Sale is on plus promotion and hence bike is £1050
    Problems: gaps in gears (only 9 speed), avg brakes, less than avg wheelset
    Positives: replaceable Shimano-compatible crankset and BB
    Solution: full ultra group set, wheels (£510,£250) plus tyres (£100)
    End results: SL4 frame and warranty, £1900 total (excluding labour)

so about 500 quid cheaper than buying further up the scale, more confidence than buying from planet x etc with better wheels in any case
    it is grey, very grey but discrete is better than ostentatious

Thank you guys

I read all your comments carefully; very interesting information