Keep Turbo Training Interesting

caedev
caedev Posts: 81
I've been mostly riding on my turbo for the last few weeks and (as expected) it's been getting a little boring. Only had time for a short session last night so I decided to give the following a try:

1) Pick an easy starting point - in my case fixing the power at 150W
2) Ride for 2 mins at this power
3) Increase power output by a given amount - in my case steps of 30W
4) Repeat the increase until you reach your limit
5) Work back down through the same steps you did on the way up.

I'm not sure how beneficial it is to training but it mixed things up a little. Also, I usually train by doing intervals for a given time and then easing off completely. The stepping down part of this session was pretty gruelling!

http://www.strava.com/activities/128888623

Comments

• mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I've found the easiest way is to take the bike off the turbo and go out for a ride :D

In all seriousness though, through the bad weather and dark nights I have cured my hatred of the turbo, mainly through listening to good music and doing drills akin to that you have listed.
    Insert bike here:
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    Simple answer to making the turbo interesting, get a plan and stick to it.
    Use Sufferfest or Trainerroad or both together.
  • see.green
    see.green Posts: 43
    I signed up for trainer road few weeks back, absolutely brilliant and actually enjoying using the trainer for the first time ever. Working thru the century plan mixing with riding outdoors. £6/month is a bargain.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    TrainerRoad + DVD or Netflix.

5 seasons of The Wire. 5 seasons of Breaking Bad. 3 of Homeland. Currently on Prison Break. I love to turbo...
    Rich
  • rocket1
    rocket1 Posts: 76
    Get a Tacx and multiplayer licence and race against other riders Good workout and fun racing You can even race against your times ,There are two racing sites tts4 Monday night handicap and Tacxtours .com Which has just finished for the summer,brilliant fun.
    I have never been bored on it
    Ronnie