Brailsford has resigned

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,157
edited April 2014 in Pro race
Dave Brailsford has quit as the Performance Director of British Cycling to be solely committed to Sky. No news as to who takes over. My guess is Paul Manning.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/a ... sh-cycling
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Good call on Manning, he'd be my choice to take over.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Disappointing, but predictable.
    The upside being the very slight distance it puts between BC and Sky.
    The downside will probably be the obvious,
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    I don't think it's a huge surprise (presuming it's confirmed), Brailsford gives the impression - rightly or wrongly - that he's been committing much more of his thinking to Sky than to the GB team over the last couple of years, and Rio has probably brought things to a head (although I doubt anyone has made an 'us or them' demand). Not sure if it leaves the GB team stronger or weaker, but it probably removes at least one excuse for below-par performances.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    And why would they want to put distance between British Cycling and Team Sky? (dons tinfoil hat...)
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I don't think having a part-timer in charge was helpful to either British Cycling or Sky, so hopefully this is a positive move for both.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Arise, Sir Shane Sutton....
  • Countdown to The Clinic conspiracy madness implosion now....
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    He was spending less time with BC in recent years so stepping down is the right thing to do - neither Sky nor BC are part time jobs in the long run.

What an influence he had tho - and what a run of incredible achievements.

Anyone care to work out the number of wins and medals British riders took during his tenure? :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    A good time to get out, hard to take the track squad any further, I think that and demands of the job impacting on his personal life are behind this.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I don't think having a part-timer in charge was helpful to either British Cycling or Sky, so hopefully this is a positive move for both.
    Agreed, I never thought it was a good idea from the outset for him to simultaneously hold the senior positions he did across the two organisations. His grasp on the track side of things has been slipping in recent times so the time is right for BC to re-focus their attention.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Agreed, I never thought it was a good idea from the outset for him to simultaneously hold the senior positions he did across the two organisations. His grasp on the track side of things has been slipping in recent times so the time is right for BC to re-focus their attention.

It worked fine through to London 2012 - dont forget record number of golds PLUS the 1-2 at the Tour. The 2013 Track Worlds were also successful - GB topped the medal table in Minsk.

But its clear that its the right decision for the future.
  • blazing_saddles
    Top_Bhoy wrote:

It worked fine through to London 2012 - dont forget record number of golds PLUS the 1-2 at the Tour. The 2013 Track Worlds were also successful - GB topped the medal table in Minsk.

This is what concerns me atm, from a purely selfish perspective.
  • Richmond Racer
    Top_Bhoy wrote:

This is what concerns me atm, from a purely selfish perspective.

Understandably...

Thoughts about the rumours about Dan Hunt in the running for the Head of Performance Support role?
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Judging by the performance of the Men's squad at the Worlds recently he stopped working with them a while ago /clinic

edit: Arse, someone already made a clinic joke.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Based in Manchester, experience of taking over the reins from a highly influential figure who has had unprecedented success over many years sounds like a job for...

David Moyes :shock:
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    The_Boy wrote:
    Judging by the performance of the Men's squad at the Worlds recently he stopped working with them a while ago /clinic

edit: ars*, someone already made a clinic joke.
    Whooshh....over my head so you're ok; it wasn't a joke :D
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Jeux sans frontieres: Coe coerces IAAA electorate with the head of Dave the Baptist.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092

For me, it would be Paul Manning as Director (Intellectual Planning) retaining Shane Sutton as head coach (Growling and swearing!!)
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    A legend.

Whether you like his tactics at Sky or not, DB has led GB to the top of the world. I sincerely hope that it was clean.
  • Richmond Racer
    Coach H wrote:

For me, it would be Paul Manning as Director (Intellectual Planning) retaining Shane Sutton as head coach (Growling and swearing!!)

Well, Uncle Shane's got a new job/title of Technical Director. Will Foth reckons he's boss now in practical terms.

The media briefings are going to be fun! Abby Burton, the Press Officer, will be on gin before noon to get her through the days ahead :)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Will DB's replacement continue with Powerpoint, or will he move onto Keynote?

I think that's the most important question.

Back from hols - did I miss anything?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    iainf72 wrote:
    Will DB's replacement continue with Powerpoint, or will he move onto Keynote?

I think that's the most important question.

No.

Flanders was a great edition but presumably you knew that already.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

I don't - Only found on out Wednesday who won. So I should watch my recording?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    iainf72 wrote:

Definitely.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    iainf72 wrote:

Yeah. Basically keep abreast of the crashes and start properly watching from before the Koppenberg.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    its been kind of buried in the news coverage for Sir Dave is it worth noting Dr Steve Peters is leaving as well, in an almost well Daves swapping jobs so you need to go now as well manner, though I dont know if its just the media have been so focussed on Daves side theyve missed the new job opportunity (as opposed to the ongoing multi tasking roles he already did) Steve is off to, but its notable he's said hes staying on till theres a succession/support process left, so its not necessarily a planned departure.

though Ive always been uncomfortable with the way the inner chimp stuff is portrayed as a cure, when its more like a temporary sticking plaster, thats ready to go pop in a lot of cases.

also interesting to note Bradleys comments on it that he thinks all is not well in the GB squad environment at the moment.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Have you got a link to the Wiggo comments ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    iainf72 wrote:

Yes Contador is floating like he used to. He won a stage of Pais Vasco and the overall by 49 secs, coming second only to Tony Martin in the 26km TT. So far this year he is topping the points tables and has 6 wins (second behind Valverde with 7).

Sky also finished with half a team given they pulled out from fatigue (after finishing in the grupetto and doing less than 3000km so far this year). Nieve was doing well then lost 9mins on one stage.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    You've also missed the transition of stage racing from sporting event to Mars mission. Even the immortal Alberto is now to take a 7 week break in preparation for the Tour. GT boys are becoming show ponies.

109865842_horse_317175c.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.