distracted by car passanger

joerichard99
joerichard99 Posts: 6
edited April 2014 in MTB general
hi all, this question really isn't for me but for my mate, we were cycling down a country back lane then a car came past and the passenger through a packet of crisps at my mate but didn't quite hit him it went just before his face, he has the cars registration number and car make and model but he dosen't know what he can do so wondered if any one else knew, Thanks

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Nothing.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Eat the crisps if he still has them :lol:
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Only thing you can do is report to the police and they *might* if they are really bored just turn up at the guy's house and give him the opportunity to be repentant.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Not a lot. The police won't care unless they were speeding :-)
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    mudsucker wrote:
    Not a lot. The police won't care unless they were speeding :-)

They would'nt do anything if they were speeding, very difficult to prosecute going on a member of the publics word.

I once got hit by a car passenger throwing eggs, got hit by two infact. Scratched my bars and stem quite bad believe it or not, find it amazing a suped-up chav boy racer would carry eggs to throw at passers by....not. My brother commutes to work and he was only saying a few weeks ago he got hit by a potato from a transit van. Luckily it only hit his helmet. Sadly its a common thing we just put up with as cyclists unless you can catch the b**tards :D
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    If it helps , a small sports cam attached to your bike or your person will help in the future . That way you have physical evidence for any altercation you encounter on the road or trails . I have gopro mountings on 2 of my bikes (camber and dolomite) and the only thing I find a disadvantage with them in the wind resistance they produce when riding
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    larkim wrote:
    Only thing you can do is report to the police and they *might* if they are really bored just turn up at the guy's house and give him the opportunity to be repentant.

But it was the passenger, and you can't make a driver identify his passengers unfortunately...
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    You can't. But if the police officer you report it to happens to be a cyclist, they might still feel its in the greater good to put the wind up the driver.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Prowlus wrote:
    If it helps , a small sports cam attached to your bike or your person will help in the future . That way you have physical evidence for any altercation you encounter on the road or trails . I have gopro mountings on 2 of my bikes (camber and dolomite) and the only thing I find a disadvantage with them in the wind resistance they produce when riding

You're worried about the wind resistance of a small block sitting on your bike? Not worried about the wind resistance you're producing then?

:roll:
  • devbrix
    devbrix Posts: 127
    Spelling police might be interested though
    All of these things....
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    It's grammar police thank you very much.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    There are plans to make the driver liable for the passenger throwing litter out of a car, but from what I can tell it hasn't been made law yet. It's only an £80 fine, so I doubt the police would pursue it if it was just your word against the driver's.
  • What flavour?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What flavour?

Pickled onion monster munch
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    OK here is a good trick. I was on the bike at a mini roundabout in Essex and someone had a real go at me - a driver - horn, fingers, swearing and all that sort of sht. I was not doing anything wrong - just asserting my place because I wanted to go straight on. Actually he had not noticed a car coming from the other side of the roundabout turning right - so I was correct to wait. When I got to the other side he drove at me and drove off. I got his number but just knew I'd end up being humiliated by the coppers. There was a young girl in the car - about 8 YO and my wife said to me - the bill can ignore you but because there is a young girl then social services cant!!!! Turned out to be a big win his wife booted him out - and get this - after Social Services paid a visit.. So there must have been a much deeper behavioural issue there - and tw@ish as it may be - I am pleased.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    FishFish wrote:
    OK here is a good trick. I was on the bike at a mini roundabout in Essex and someone had a real go at me - a driver - horn, fingers, swearing and all that sort of sht. I was not doing anything wrong - just asserting my place because I wanted to go straight on. Actually he had not noticed a car coming from the other side of the roundabout turning right - so I was correct to wait. When I got to the other side he drove at me and drove off. I got his number but just knew I'd end up being humiliated by the coppers. There was a young girl in the car - about 8 YO and my wife said to me - the bill can ignore you but because there is a young girl then social services cant!!!! Turned out to be a big win his wife booted him out - and get this - after Social Services paid a visit.. So there must have been a much deeper behavioural issue there - and tw@ish as it may be - I am pleased.

Wow, you're proud of that? Ruin someone's life because they tooted their horn at you. Way to go, big guy. Twatish, indeed.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I call borlocks anyway. And perhaps deeper behavioural issues on both sides.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    FishFish wrote:

Wow, you're proud of that? Ruin someone's life because they tooted their horn at you. Way to go, big guy. Twatish, indeed.

do you really think the wife would have kicked him out for just one incidence of shouting at a cyclist :roll:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    ...has the cars registration number and car make and model but he dosen't know what he can do
    report it to the police. In isolation they won't do anything but if the same car is reported again they will become interested and eventually have a word
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    and the only thing I find a disadvantage with them in the wind resistance they produce when riding

One of the best things I've read on here! Don't overestimate their use either, even when decent quality footage is presented it's not enough in isolation.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    POAH wrote:
    do you really think the wife would have kicked him out for just one incidence of shouting at a cyclist :roll:

No. But the fact that he's rather pleased at the break up of a family, just because someone gave hime a bit of grief, is quite pathetic. Don't you think?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    In his defence, there are some fukking tools in this world, but there are also bad days.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    In his defence, there are some fukking tools in this world, but there are also bad days.
    I'm not sure calling him a fukking tool is actually defending him.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    brucie45 wrote:
    My brother commutes to work and he was only saying a few weeks ago he got hit by a potato from a transit van.
    Someone in a transit threw a battery at me once. We're not talking AAA here, this was a D cell! Fortunately he missed me.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • There are some idiots out there who don't think about the consequences of their actions.
    Had a golf ball thrown my way - only realised when it bounced past me, and continued down the road into the window of an approaching car.
    Managed to get the first few numbers in the reg and a description of the car (souped-up Saxo, tinted windows, bored out exhaust). I left it to the other driver to sort out seeing as he was worse off than me.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    POAH wrote:

No. But the fact that he's rather pleased at the break up of a family, just because someone gave hime a bit of grief, is quite pathetic. Don't you think?

not really if the guy was a twat - got what was coming to him (assuming this is actually real)
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    Batmo wrote:
    brucie45 wrote:
    My brother commutes to work and he was only saying a few weeks ago he got hit by a potato from a transit van.
    Someone in a transit threw a battery at me once. We're not talking AAA here, this was a D cell! Fortunately he missed me.

That makes me glad it was only a egg that got thrown at me. A D cell battery is really going to do some damage! :shock:
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    .blitz wrote:
    ...has the cars registration number and car make and model but he doesn't know what he can do
    report it to the police. In isolation they won't do anything but if the same car is reported again they will become interested and eventually have a word
    I agree, surely the old bill have to note it even if they don't act immediately.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    How close would a car have to get to you to enable the passenger to "distract" you? Would it be safe?
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Briggo wrote:
    Prowlus wrote:

You're worried about the wind resistance of a small block sitting on your bike? Not worried about the wind resistance you're producing then?

:roll:

He is not telling the whole truth. The air resistance is caused by the 0.5 Browning machine gun that the go pro is mounted on.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: