If Money No Object Which Private Aircraft Would You Have

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited April 2014 in The cake stop
Private Aircraft are classified as General Aviation. For this topic all jet aircraft are discounted as most of you will pick something like below, which resides at Bournemouth Airport quite a bit.

Boeing+747-8.jpg

It is purely piston or turbo prop that we are talking about here, executive prop planes and vintage aeroplanes are allowed. Vtech already has a toy with wings, but am sure he still looks in the showroom window.

Here's mine, a Grumman Goose.

0948542.jpg
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I'd hire different ones and offset the cost against taxes (if I paid them). Harrison Ford has a nice prop. aircraft but depends on what you need. A large entourage prob. requires a 747 or an Airbus. Just me and my gf will need a fast Dassault or Lear or Bombadier

http://www.netjetseurope.com/Your-fleet ... rfect-jet/

This chart may help your choice
    M.Rushton
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
  • mrushton
    Always liked the P51 Mustang myself - they get used at those Reno air-races or what about the P38? These are ok but private jets are more comfortable. Still if you bought eg a C-17 you could have a couple of those US Navy planes eg the Corsair with the folding wings
    M.Rushton
  • mr_goo
    mrushton wrote:
    Always liked the P51 Mustang myself - they get used at those Reno air-races or what about the P38? These are ok but private jets are more comfortable. Still if you bought eg a C-17 you could have a couple of those US Navy planes eg the Corsair with the folding wings

Yep P51 Mustang is nice. Tom Cruise has one (below). Not sure if you're gonna change your mind now.

Toms-Cruises-P51.png
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    sopwith camel... good old biggles
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,126
    ever since i made a model one as a kid, there's only been one, the blackbird
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mr_goo
    Tetley10 wrote:

My late father always said that the Spitfire was the best plane ever made. As a kid I used to rubbish this in a typical father - son way. Now that I am older I appreciate what an awesome plane it is. The design of it is simply beautiful and iconic. And the noise of that Rolls Royce engine is probable unbeatable for making the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.
  • Having owned several planes over the years I am of the view that this is an impossible question. No one plane is good enough. You need one for showing off, one off aerobatics, one for farm strips, one for fast travel, one for ski resorts etc......
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    There was a girl around these forums a couple of years back (maybe still on commuting) who's mum flew one of the 3 remaining 2 seater Spitfires in the country.

Would never bother with a plane, just fly everywhere first class or higher a private jet when it was more convenient (obviously I would carbon offset before I set the eco warriors off!). I'd probably use a helicopter quite a bit for longer UK trips.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    LiT's mum had the Spitfire. I always liked the Supermarine Schneider Cup planes from just before the war. Although perhaps I should have a Sopwith Camel as the factory was within spitting distance of my house, now converted to flats.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Nobody privately owns an Airbus A 380. I am only aware of Obama who jets around on a 747... in the hey days of rock & roll, the Zeppelin had a Boeing 720... nowadays stars probably just fly first class... the world is surprisingly lacking lustre when it comes to aircrafts :?
    left the forum March 2023
  • mr_goo
    Nobody privately owns an Airbus A 380. I am only aware of Obama who jets around on a 747... in the hey days of rock & roll, the Zeppelin had a Boeing 720... nowadays stars probably just fly first class... the world is surprisingly lacking lustre when it comes to aircrafts :?

Yes they do. Its on order. And plenty of Arab Sheiks/Princes et all have private B747s to bum around in.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2251071/Jumbo-fit-prince-The-240million-private-jet-Turkish-bath-boardroom-concert-hall.html
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Mr Goo wrote:

Yes they do. Its on order. And plenty of Arab Sheiks/Princes et all have private B747s to bum around in.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2251071/Jumbo-fit-prince-The-240million-private-jet-Turkish-bath-boardroom-concert-hall.html
    I believe the 747 at Bournemouth airport in the OP is owned by a student! :shock:
    You could see it from a friends unit on the industrial estate there and he said it belonged to the son of some sheikh or other who was studying there.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ah, these Sheiks really know how to party... in a way it's good, what's the point of collecting money if you then live like Warren Buffett?
    On the other hand they're more likely to be remembered as big coxks... and not for the reason they would like... :mrgreen:
  • mr_goo
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

I believe the 747 at Bournemouth airport in the OP is owned by a student! :shock:
    You could see it from a friends unit on the industrial estate there and he said it belonged to the son of some sheikh or other who was studying there.

I heard from a worker at Bournemouth Airport that Daddy has put the little run around at the disposal of his daughter who is at university somewhere in the UK. She apparently took it on a day trip to Paris to go shopping with a friend. Another world or what?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Mr Goo wrote:
    I heard from a worker at Bournemouth Airport that Daddy has put the little run around at the disposal of his daughter who is at university somewhere in the UK. She apparently took it on a day trip to Paris to go shopping with a friend. Another world or what?

I wonder if they also employ a personal Messiah...

It's funny how we find these things bizarre, when they were absolutely common... well, 300 years ago... :shock:
  • mrushton
    Of course a Mosquito would be nice.

There was a story that the Sultan of Brunei had 2 x 747s permanently on standby for his daughters who were studying in England
    M.Rushton
  • mr_goo
    mrushton wrote:
    Of course a Mosquito would be nice.

There was a story that the Sultan of Brunei had 2 x 747s permanently on standby for his daughters who were studying in England

One of my work contacts, works for Sultan of Brunei as his cost consultant on building and refurbs of his estates. He spends £450k per year on curtains! He is currently building a palace for his younger second wife', who refused to live in the same palace as wife number one. It is a near clone of Bleinham Palace. He has now divorced wife number two due to her dalliances.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Sorry, I know you said piston or turbo-prop, but I will bend the rules.

There is one Sea-Harrier in private hands. Thats what I want.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I'm vulgar so bought a plane a while back. PA32 was my choice for various reasons but I've been flown on private jets that make your eyes water with opulence. There is something wonderful about a nice airliner but costs are outrageous and even for the multimillionaire your going to struggle with anything more than a gulfstream
    Living MY dream.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Dificult one to choose.

I've always wanted a Spitfire, from the first time I saw one as a nipper. I'l bet they are a joy to fly, for a while but bloody uncomfortable.

And then I saw Iron Man, and Tony Starks private jet. Now, THAT's the way to travel!

The older I get, the better I was.

• mr_goo
    VTech wrote:
    I'm vulgar so bought a plane a while back. PA32 was my choice for various reasons but I've been flown on private jets that make your eyes water with opulence. There is something wonderful about a nice airliner but costs are outrageous and even for the multimillionaire your going to struggle with anything more than a gulfstream

Gulfstream set the benchmark in the dedicated Biz Jet market.

10424.jpg
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Mr Goo wrote:
    VTech wrote:

10424.jpg

I have a few clients with these aircraft but as you probably know, the next step up too airliners is for the billionaire.
    Living MY dream.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Cessna Caravan

http://www.cessna.com/caravan/cessna-caravan

Used to have a share of a Cherokee 6 and an Instrument rating. The Caravan is eminently flyable by a PPL, has a good range and cruising speed, is relatively economic as it runs on paraffin, is good in th airways and can carry everything most PPLs would need to.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Well according to the Far East Movement I should be feeling fly in a G6. But in all seriousness it would have to be a Spitfire or maybe a Typhoon for the weekends :-)
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    You haven't excluded helicopters, so:

Airwolf_by_MartinS819.jpg
  • timben83
    timben83 Posts: 16
    I like a SR22 as my daily commute plane.
    http://cirrusaircraft.com/sr22/

I'm single so won't need anything bigger. Only issue is it might not fit bikes and people..
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    FW190
  • mr_goo
    VTech wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    VTech wrote:

10424.jpg

I have a few clients with these aircraft but as you probably know, the next step up too airliners is for the billionaire.

Hell you really do circulate in the upper echelons of society. The only planes my clients posses are these:-

handplaner.jpg
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    720441-GF5B-USAF-9223.jpg
    this is mine , in my dreams

i have never got over walking across the pan at a raf base and finding this tiny , sleek , sporty jet parked amongst the workaday hulks. I thought it looked so sleek and fast and close-fitting. wow.
    I was told it was the mildenhall base's co 's personal transport and he had popped over for drinks at the mess. For a moment i thought perhaps I was in the wrong airforce.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow