it does sometimes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -post.html
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    welshkev wrote:
    Unfortunately the law doesn't agree.

it does sometimes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -post.html

So would I get away with taking them hostage, torturing them for three weeks, putting the video on the internet and then burying the body in the woods?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What's your point?
  • Angus Young
    What's your point?

I'm harsh but fair.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    I really don't care about the repercussions. Anyone that comes onto my property is fair game and I'll worry about what happens to me afterwards.

Its one of the many things that's wrong with this country, its gone bloody mad!
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    A ground anchor and proper lock and chain would protect them an awful lot better. Ten seconds to pop the up and over garage door, another five seconds to smash the alarm with a hammer and bye bye bikes...
    Have you ever used a set of bolt cutters?

If not bolt cutters then a cordless angle grinder will see off a decent chain/lock in a few seconds.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Are you expecting a bite? If so, it is a sure thing.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    kirby700 wrote:
    I really don't care about the repercussions.

I suspect you might when you were in prison...
  • Kowalski675
    PaulBox wrote:
    A ground anchor and proper lock and chain would protect them an awful lot better. Ten seconds to pop the up and over garage door, another five seconds to smash the alarm with a hammer and bye bye bikes...
    Have you ever used a set of bolt cutters?

If not bolt cutters then a cordless angle grinder will see off a decent chain/lock in a few seconds.

I said a "proper lock and chain". I.E. Almax or Pragmasis (anything else is a waste of money) - cannot be bolt cropped, even with 44" Irwin Records (the thieve's favourite). Angle grinders make noise. A determined thief with the right tools will have whatever they want, with enough time and noise, but that's no reason to make it easy for them. Thieves are lazy - it's all about making it difficult and noisy enough that they'll move on to easier pickings.
  • Angus Young
    Thieves are lazy - it's all about making it difficult and noisy enough that they'll move on to easier pickings.

That's the essential point about thieves. If they weren't lazy they'd be out earning a living like the rest of us. So if you just make life difficult enough, they'll probably move on.
  • Kowalski675
    Thieves are lazy - it's all about making it difficult and noisy enough that they'll move on to easier pickings.

That's the essential point about thieves. If they weren't lazy they'd be out earning a living like the rest of us. So if you just make life difficult enough, they'll probably move on.

That's it in a nutshell. I've no evidence to support the next statement, but I'd hazard a guess that most MTB theft (including high end bikes) is perpetrated by arsheholes from the more opportunistic end of the spectrum, rather than organised gangs doing it for a living like is often the case with automotive theft.
  • Angus Young
    All this is making me think perhaps I should be locking my bikes up rather than just leaning them up against the wall...
  • Kowalski675
    All this is making me think perhaps I should be locking my bikes up rather than just leaning them up against the wall...

I thought you were joking about that. :shock:
  • Angus Young
    Nope! Lol! Three of 'em leaning up against the wall outside the backdoor. Mind you, I suspect if someone nicked any of them they'd go once round the block and bring it back. To be fair, though, our one decent bike, my little girl's Scott Spark, lives in the house. So I'm, not completely mad!
  • Kowalski675
    I'm amazed they're still there, you must live somewhere with very little crime.
  • Angus Young
    It's pretty good, though we get the odd shed break in so perhaps I should stop pushing my luck. Once I get my act together, though, and splash out on something nice it's going to be living in the house.