Aldi Remote Alarms - £7.99 !

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited April 2014 in MTB general
Morning all

Ok so it doesn't have to be used as a garage alarm, but for £7.99 i couldnt resist

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/s ... ini-alarm/

Cheap as chips, controlled remotely and battery operated (you can also plug into mains)

POP to install

35c83f15-5787-4a8f-893b-9f0612b27b65_zpscd5d4863.jpg

and helps protects these little beauties

20140406_175236_zpsd1ca80c3.jpg

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Interesting. Thanks for posting.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • DCR00
    the garage is pretty secure
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    A ground anchor and proper lock and chain would protect them an awful lot better. Ten seconds to pop the up and over garage door, another five seconds to smash the alarm with a hammer and bye bye bikes...

It can't hurt to have an alarm as well (as long as you can hear it, 'cos nobody else will pay any attention to it), but serious physical security is your first line of defence.
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    Are you insured as well? The only person who will take any notice of the alarm is you, and that's only if you hear it.

Best advice is lock your bikes down, check your home insurance and save your bike parts receipts .
  • DCR00
    The garage doors are secured by more than the cheese lock attached to the door

The other entrance is reinforced also

Suppose ground anchors would provide some additional security

I've always thought them a little pointless given that a lot of high end thefts are after the parts, not the frame, but it cant hurt i guess

I could anchor Tracey and have the Kraken as the sacrifice should the worst happen
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    Having had bikes taken from my garage on two occasions (and a third attempt) in the last 5 years, I don't take my bikes' security for granted now.

I've 5 (sometimes 6) complete bikes in the garage (plus a couple of half-built / half dissassembled ones!) ... none of which are worth over £1000 (new / replacement price), and a couple considerably less than that! But my security includes:

- external lighting to the front, side and rear of the house;
    - 3 padlocks on the garage doors, plus a thick cable lock looped through the two doors;
    - alarm connected to the house alarm;
    - 2 ground anchors;
    - 1 motorcycle chain for the two commuter bikes (plus a cable lock when I can be bothered :oops: around the wheels);
    - 3 motorcycle chains for the 3 (sometimes 4) HT's plus a cable lock around whichever wheels are left unchained by the motorcycle chains.
    - Bikes incluced on the household contents insurance

None of the above will resist someone determined enough, and with the right tools ... but should be decent deterrant! I sleep (relatively) easily, and can even go away on holiday without worrying all the time!

Incidentally, these are decent value, and cheap enough to get 2 or 3:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/s ... ycle-lock/

Aldi also did an alarmed padlock recently ... not sure of the price, but worth considering ...
  • Angus Young
    Having had bikes taken from my garage on two occasions (and a third attempt) in the last 5 years, I don't take my bikes' security for granted now.

I've 5 (sometimes 6) complete bikes in the garage (plus a couple of half-built / half dissassembled ones!) ... none of which are worth over £1000 (new / replacement price), and a couple considerably less than that! But my security includes:

- external lighting to the front, side and rear of the house;
    - 3 padlocks on the garage doors, plus a thick cable lock looped through the two doors;
    - alarm connected to the house alarm;
    - 2 ground anchors;
    - 1 motorcycle chain for the two commuter bikes (plus a cable lock when I can be bothered :oops: around the wheels);
    - 3 motorcycle chains for the 3 (sometimes 4) HT's plus a cable lock around whichever wheels are left unchained by the motorcycle chains.
    - Bikes incluced on the household contents insurance

None of the above will resist someone determined enough, and with the right tools ... but should be decent deterrant! I sleep (relatively) easily, and can even go away on holiday without worrying all the time!

Incidentally, these are decent value, and cheap enough to get 2 or 3:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/s ... ycle-lock/

Aldi also did an alarmed padlock recently ... not sure of the price, but worth considering ...

Jeeze... Where do you live, Bagdad?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I keep around half a dozen bikes in a shed with a 99p lock.

Live dangerously is my motto.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DCR00
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sunday-9th-march/product-detail/ps/p/motorcycle-lock/

nice find

you need to move
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    I keep around half a dozen bikes in a shed with a 99p lock.

Live dangerously is my motto.

Mine are propped up against the wall outside my back door. I guess it's only a matter of time...
  • DCR00
    off to Screwfix today to get a floor anchor and a big chain
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    My two live in our front room, the expensive one under a dust sheet (mostly to keep the floor clean). Nothing is safer than keeping them in the house IMO, though it's not ideal. I would love a garage.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • DCR00
    I would prefer mine in the house, but having space to tinker is great.

When we went away the other weekend, Tracey stayed in the office (much to the Wife's displeasure)

In the old house they lived under the stairs
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    Save your money up and get this

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?mai ... ts_id=2964

they'll be s%$ting themselves when this goes off.

Trust me that shotgun noise going off in a small concrete garage will sound like the worlds ending for them!
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • kirby700
    Not real discreet though Cooldad!

But I like it! 8)
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Angus Young
    kirby700 wrote:
    Not real discreet though Cooldad!

But I like it! 8)

The words 'discreet' and 'Cooldad' don't normally appear in the same sentence.
  • DCR00
    Ground anchor in. Tracey secure.

Pub bike unsecured. Sacrificial bike.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What if you're at the pub ;-)
  • Kowalski675
    kirby700 wrote:

Trust me that shotgun noise going off in a small concrete garage will sound like the worlds ending for them!

I thought they'd made those illegal? I always fancied fitting a live cartridge...
  • DCR00
    What if you're at the pub ;-)

good point

time to invoke n+1
  • kirby700
    kirby700 wrote:

I thought they'd made those illegal? I always fancied fitting a live cartridge...

My old neighbour was a gamekeeper so he had them all over his KTM and Quad bike and he used them all the time.
    I don't really care if they are illegal to be honest, who are they going to complain to? :lol:
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Angus Young
    kirby700 wrote:
    who are they going to complain to? :lol:

The police. You never read the news?
  • Kowalski675
    kirby700 wrote:
    kirby700 wrote:

My old neighbour was a gamekeeper so he had them all over his KTM and Quad bike and he used them all the time.
    I don't really care if they are illegal to be honest, who are they going to complain to? :lol:

I thought they'd banned them from sale though.
  • Kowalski675
    kirby700 wrote:
    who are they going to complain to? :lol:

The police. You never read the news?

Yup. If they have been made illegal and you injure a thief with one then it'll be you getting prosecuted, not the thief.
  • Angus Young
    Yup. If they have been made illegal and you injure a thief with one then it'll be you getting prosecuted, not the thief.

It's completely mad. As far as I'm concerned, if you enter my house with bad intent, you make a conscious decision to leave all your rights at the door. You've chosen everything that's going to come your way.
  • Kowalski675

It's completely mad. As far as I'm concerned, if you enter my house with bad intent, you make a conscious decision to leave all your rights at the door. You've chosen everything that's going to come your way.

That's how it should be - it's one thing they certainly have right in the USA. One of the guys on another forum I used to use was a US sheriff and told his locals that if they ever shoot anyone dead who's breaking in to their house then to make sure the body's fully over the threshold before he arrives, lol. :lol:
  • cooldad
    Cop told me when I got a gun licence that if I ever shot anyone, to make sure I fired off a second shot to make sure there was no doubt I'd fired a 'warning' shot.
    I never did actually shoot anyone, but I did get rid of it after sticking it up someone's nose during an argument over a parking bay.
    Some people just shouldn't be allowed dangerous toys.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • kirby700

They'd be moaning about the broken knee caps not the ringing in they ears!

Strong believer in an Englishmans home is his castle and should be defended by any means.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA