Ultegra 6800 or Dura Ace 9000

foggybike
foggybike Posts: 160
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Just got myself a nice Pinarello Paris :-)

Debating 6800 or 9000, £500 vs £1000...

Do I just go for the Ultegra or just sod it and go all out?

Any thoughts?

I'm not racing this is just for serious leisure time.

Comments

• housemunkey
    housemunkey Posts: 237
    Dura Ace is worth it if you WANT it I think. But in terms of performance the Ultegra will be most of the way there at half the price so it is better value. I had the same question not long ago and I'll be going Dura Ace because well, why not have the best if you can drop the money on it? YOLO
  • foggybike
    Dura Ace is worth it if you WANT it I think. But in terms of performance the Ultegra will be most of the way there at half the price so it is better value. I had the same question not long ago and I'll be going Dura Ace because well, why not have the best if you can drop the money on it? YOLO

Now this is the response I was hoping to hear :-)
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • foggybike
    Doh! :roll: Thanks!
  • twgh
    twgh Posts: 102
    If you are having to ask yourself the questions then the answer is DA9000. I faced the same dilemma and am so glad I went with DA9000. I did however go with the U6800 cassette as it is about £150 cheaper and maybe a few grams heavier. I have been told (from the more learned members of this forum) that the DA9000 cassette has a carbon spacer which is prone to cracking.
  • DiscoBoy
    foggybike wrote:

No worries.

I guess it depends on the budget of the rest of the build. What wheels will you be adding? Would the extra £500 get you into something really special? Or towards a second set perhaps?
  • foggybike
    The wheels are coming from my current bike Fulcrum Racing 1.

I'm also toying with the idea of 6870 Di2 but i'll face the cabling issue if I go down that route. I'm not exactly sure about what is involved with fitting the externally fitted cabling apart from more cost.
  • DiscoBoy
    9000 vs 6870 is a different debate again.

For me it is an easier one, 9000 every time.
  • foggybike
    just for simplicity? As in no gaffing around?
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    I was in the same situation, went with dura ace 9000, if you do, get it from ribble who stock the 9001 shifters, there were problems with cable routing in the 9000 levers and if you but the bits seperatly you can get the 6800 cassette which has no problems like 9000 and save a few bob as well.
  • twgh
    Paul1000 wrote:
    I was in the same situation, went with dura ace 9000, if you do, get it from ribble who stock the 9001 shifters, there were problems with cable routing in the 9000 levers and if you but the bits seperatly you can get the 6800 cassette which has no problems like 9000 and save a few bob as well.

This is exactly what I did.

Now that 105 (5800) has come out I know I would have been gutted if I had ultegra instead of DA. Functionally I am sure there is very little difference between all 3 groupsets but nonetheless DA is the "best".
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    There is something about having components which are top of the line, that you are giving nothing away in terms of equipment. But it's a double edged sword in that you can no longer blame your kit ;)
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Careful with the Ribble Sti's. I ordered some Ultegra ones and unfortunately they don't come with the correct coated brake cables and new outers, just normal, cheaper ones. I checked and they confirmed that the ones I got are what is supplied with their Sti's and groupsets. Don't know if the Dura Ace is the same. They collected and refunded anyway so no worries - never any issues with the service from Ribble. If you're not bothered at least the price is good :)
  • paul1000
    Only the gear cables are coated with 9000, the brake are not
  • DiscoBoy
    foggybike wrote:
    just for simplicity? As in no gaffing around?

The shifting with both is excellent. But dura ace is lighter and prettier.
  • paul1000
    In terms of bling, dura ace all the way, ultegra looks so dull, and the same as the new 105, a few hundred quid more on something you will have for years, is not a lot, it will only play on your mind if you go ultegra :-)
  • foggybike wrote:

This dead horse has been flogged already is what he was saying.
    The titifers have sung their song.

Now it's time for sleep.
  • DiscoBoy
    foggybike wrote:

This dead horse has been flogged already is what he was saying.

Not at all, it is a fair question to be asking. But we can save time by seeing what everyone thought a month ago ;)
  • foggybike
    Well neither Merlin or Ribble have the external 6870 groupsets available, so this could also affect my decision.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I went through this dilemma before Christmas, I was replacing the 7900 on one bike after a fall and after trying both I went for the Ultegra, there's squat difference in shifting quality and they're pretty similar in looks but there was a £500 difference in price, there isn't a £500 difference in shifting quality for sure, there's probably ten quid difference and I use a Sram red chainset so the weight wasn't an issue.
    I saved £500 and then blew that on some wheels.

If it's going to play on your mind that you have an inferior groupset then go for Dura-ace. I've used Dura-ace for years so it was a tough choice to make and part of me still thinks that I should have stuck with Dura-ace but there really is nothing between the two in performance.
  • twgh
    Bozman wrote:
    If it's going to play on your mind that you have an inferior groupset then go for Dura-ace. I've used Dura-ace for years so it was a tough choice to make and part of me still thinks that I should have stuck with Dura-ace but there really is nothing between the two in performance.

This.

I run Athena 11 at the moment and it shifts very well. My housemate runs 105 and that also shifts very well. But I wanted top-end. I could have convinced myself that U6800 would be more than adequate for my needs (and it probably would have been) but and it is a big but....it wouldn't have been DA9000. If you have £400 spare I would go for it and never look back.
  • Does anyone know what the best deal is out there at the moment for 6800?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    harrijames wrote:
    Does anyone know what the best deal is out there at the moment for 6800?

Probably PBK or Merlin, £500
  • foggymike
    Paul1000 wrote:
    Only the gear cables are coated with 9000, the brake are not

Well on my replacement Ultegra set both gear and brake cables are coated. See here for a Dura Ace review that says it should be the same...

http://biketestreviews.com/cablesets-pa ... o-bc-9000/

or here...

http://fitwerx.com/shimano-dura-ace-900 ... erm-review

or here..

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping ... category=7

...lots of incomplete OEM about.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Best deal might well be Ribble. Put components in the basket individually and use the cash10 code. Just about to order group minus chainset, it's coming in at 370
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Not sure what the big deal is about the coated brake cables. The only reason the gear cables are coated is down to the 11s shifters needing really smooth action because of the pull ratio. This is why the new Cervelo S3 has moved from cables entering the frame at the stem to down tube entry. The brakes aren't doing anything different from 6700 so why would they need an anti friction coating?

In terms of 9000 over 6800 it sounds like your heart is set on 9000. If you're even asking the question then you should probably go 9000 as you'll probably always wish you had if you don't. Personally I went for 6800 as I'm racing so the cost of replacement parts had to figure in my decision.
  • foggymike
    I'm sure they'd say it improves feel or something like that. If you're not bothered save a few quid and get the others.
  • paul1000
    Bugger, ribble shafted me, brakes work great though.
  • foggybike
    Right I have decided DA! Now have to decide on options....

Shame cannot get it from Ribble, brakes and shifters are out of stock!
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    6870 is amazing. 6800 is very good. tried 9000 mechanical and yes its very good, but not twice as good. if i had the money, i'd get chorus or super chorus. exquisite.