Disc Cyclocross bikes - in particular the Rose Pro DX Cross

2»

Comments

• I've got the Pro DX 2000.

I went for the CX chain set 46/36 with 11/28 on the rear.

It is perfect for gravel off-road and canal paths etc. You do loose some top end grunt on the road but not having such a large jump in the front for off road was more important to me.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Looking at one these as a wet weather and winter bike as it has the mudguard mounts and quite alot of other CX/road disc bikes dont.
    Probably go Force 22 with 50/34 and 11-28 as it will be 99% used on road.

Is anyone a similar size to me as i seem to be between sizes compared to other bikes i have? I am 5ft 8.5in and have a 77cm inside leg.
    Rose suggest a 52cm going by the website inside leg frame size recommendation but worried the short headtube would leave me needing a load of spacers which isnt nice....
    54cm would mean shorter amount of seat tube on show which again isnt great, i had a 53cm Boardman road bike in the past and always felt the seat tube/seat post showing aesthetics wasnt great (i have a 52cm seat tube on my 52cm Scott and a 49cm on my 52cm Spesh Allez).
    Cheers, Stu
  • Bump*
    All you Rose Pro DX CROSS 4400 owners - or any other Pro DX Cross owners, can you tell me if/what guards and racks, if any did you fitted on the bike please? What is the max. tyre clearance with guards? Also have you got any toe overlap and what size model do you ride? Just to confirm, do both wheels use QR? Do they have changeable dropouts to use thru-axles?

On the 'brink' of getting one without a test ride, but before that how do you like the frame? Stiff? Does soak up some bumps, how was the riding position set up (of course it depends on the parts you order and how you set it up).
    (will be my 2nd bike only after a heavy and cheap Raleigh city bike)

Any info would be very much appreciated.
  • boomdocker
    boomdocker Posts: 120
    I bought the Pro DX a few weeks ago. Did my first cx race on it last night - it's a cracking bike. Very responsive.

For the money I think its unbelievable value - the best out there. I have the matt black - looks great. My mate has the gloss white looks every nit as good.

I have the compact crankset with 28-11. Perfect for me. I upgraded to Crossride wheels. Cost incl. delivery to ireland was €1300.

@ gr3 - some answers:

I have a little toe overlap, I ride a 54 cm with 172.5mm cranks and I'm just under 6'. I like my bikes on the small side - for eg I ride a M Anthem as well.

Frame is nice and stiff. The tubing is "chunky" especiall around the bottom bracket. Mine is set up quite upright - out of the box I flipped the stem upright. Both wheels are qr. Can;t comment on clearance as I'm not at the bike, but from memory lots of it.

I'm very happy with it.
  • boomdocker wrote:
    I bought the Pro DX a few weeks ago. Did my first cx race on it last night - it's a cracking bike. Very responsive.

For the money I think its unbelievable value - the best out there. I have the matt black - looks great. My mate has the gloss white looks every nit as good.

I have the compact crankset with 28-11. Perfect for me. I upgraded to Crossride wheels. Cost incl. delivery to ireland was €1300.

@ gr3 - some answers:

I have a little toe overlap, I ride a 54 cm with 172.5mm cranks and I'm just under 6'. I like my bikes on the small side - for eg I ride a M Anthem as well.

Frame is nice and stiff. The tubing is "chunky" especiall around the bottom bracket. Mine is set up quite upright - out of the box I flipped the stem upright. Both wheels are qr. Can;t comment on clearance as I'm not at the bike, but from memory lots of it.

I'm very happy with it.

Thx for the reply boomdocker. Did some research and based on my measurements I am trying to compare frame sizes. I would go for the 60cm frame as I am 192cm with 91-92 inseam.

I rode a Specialized Secteur Disk 58cm and had good toe clearance, so I am thinking of testing the Diverge in a week or two, 61cm size. The wheelbase/front centre(or forepart) gives a good indication of toe overlap and based just on that I should be fine with the 60cm Rose frame.
    I liked the Secteurs zerts inserts, rode a few metres on cobbles that was just outside an Evans shop, from where I got the bike for the test ride and it felt nice and smooth, and that's what I prefer. The Rose might be an excellent value, but I want a rather smooth-ish, forgiving ride.

This next bike will be my 1st 'proper' bike, and I want to testride my future bike. Not sure if I want to risk getting it and then sending it back, because I simply don't like it. Still tempted with Rose, maybe as my 2nd one :)